Eliminating Opening Screen

Old February 7th 04, 03:08 AM
Blue

Default Eliminating Opening Screen

MSFS2K4
I want to modify fs9.cfg to eliminate the opening screen but am not able to
find it. As directec by someone I went to Windows Explorer/tools/folder
options/view/advanced settings/checked "swow hidden files&folders"/apply/OK

Still unable to find fs9.cfg with start/find.
Can anyone help me with this?
Blue

Old February 7th 04, 07:12 AM
Roger Halstead

Blue wrote:
MSFS2K4
I want to modify fs9.cfg to eliminate the opening screen but am not able to
find it. As directec by someone I went to Windows Explorer/tools/folder
options/view/advanced settings/checked "swow hidden files&folders"/apply/OK

The search works find in mine.
Comes right up with fs9cfg.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old February 7th 04, 02:01 PM
Don Parker

Blue wrote:
MSFS2K4
I want to modify fs9.cfg to eliminate the opening screen but am not
able to find it. As directec by someone I went to Windows
Explorer/tools/folder options/view/advanced settings/checked "swow
hidden files&folders"/apply/OK

Still unable to find fs9.cfg with start/find.
Can anyone help me with this?
Blue

Do the search showing all hidden files.. 'Application Data' in Doc's & Apps
is hidden............

Old February 7th 04, 11:05 PM
Blue

The puzzle is this: When I click the START button in the lower left corner
of the Windows screen, and then select SEARCH and FILES&FOLDERS and put in
fs9.cfg nothing is found. I can find it using Windows Explorer and
searching for it with the knowledge of what folder it is in as pointed out
here.

This is a real puzzle for me in the use of the "search" function, probabl;y
sime simple thing I am doing wrong but what?

Old February 7th 04, 11:23 PM
Brett I. Holcomb

If you're using XP the default search screen is a useless piece of junk.
Bill and his boys have attempted to make it simple and they succeded
- it's so simple it's useless. I was working with an XP home system
today and tried to find something with the default search - couldn't do
it. I run my XP box in classic mode.

Things to watch out for:

1. Make sure you have view hidden files checked if you are looking for
a file that might be hidden.

2. Somehow with the default search you have to get where you can
specify the drive such as C, then tell it what filename (fs9* will do).
You can get the default search to do all this but you have to clear
the junk out of the way.

Old February 8th 04, 06:24 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:23:36 -0500, "Brett I. Holcomb"
wrote:

If you're using XP the default search screen is a useless piece of junk.
Bill and his boys have attempted to make it simple and they succeded
- it's so simple it's useless. I was working with an XP home system
today and tried to find something with the default search - couldn't do
it. I run my XP box in classic mode.

Things to watch out for:

1. Make sure you have view hidden files checked if you are looking for
a file that might be hidden.

2. Somehow with the default search you have to get where you can
specify the drive such as C, then tell it what filename (fs9* will do).
You can get the default search to do all this but you have to clear
the junk out of the way.

I guess it depends on what you are used to.

It is a little convoluted, but not terribly so if you are used to the
thing. OK, a bit more than a little convoluted.

First, go to windows explorer. select tools and then folder
options from the drop down menu.
Then select the view tab and click on the display hidden files
button.

Then you can:
select start, search, all files and folders then enter the file
name, or at least part of it. OF course the more you enter the fewer
returns. As Brett says, fs9.* works, but I'd use the whole fs9.cfg.
You need to go to more advanced options where you check the system
files, hidden files, and sub folders options.

At the bottom of the requester window is a field for the drives.
Default should be all hard drives. It's a lot faster if you just
select the C drive. (IF you know that is where you are likely to find
the file)

The design was to keep people from accidentally getting into their
system files and getting rid of something important.

OK...So it is a pretty convoluted way to do a search:-))

Now if I didn't miss anything..sigh

Blue wrote:
The puzzle is this: When I click the START button in the lower left corner
of the Windows screen, and then select SEARCH and FILES&FOLDERS and put in
fs9.cfg nothing is found. I can find it using Windows Explorer and
searching for it with the knowledge of what folder it is in as pointed out
here.

This is a real puzzle for me in the use of the "search" function, probabl;y
sime simple thing I am doing wrong but what?

snip
Old February 8th 04, 07:02 PM
Brett I. Holcomb

Yeah, it could eventually be figured out but I always run classic and
have even during the XP beta. The new search is one of those things
that somebody tried to make easier and failed - it shouldn't be that
hard but I guess they are afraid that if a user has to select a drive
then he might have a fit G. I had to work on an XP system yesterday
and she had the Fisher-Price interface selected.