Late BFR

Old March 28th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

Default Late BFR

On 2007-03-24 14:57:01 -0700, Anonymous coward #673
said:
My log book now contains entries for
numerous flights conducted (inadvertently) in violation of FAR61.56.

My question to the group: what is the best way to handle this situation?

There is no requirement to keep a logbook except to show currency. Get a
new logbook, move the total hours into it, and forget about it.

Get your BFR signed off in the new logbook and log enough takeoffs and
landings to show currency. No one will have any reason to look in your
old logbook. Once you get the BFR, I doubt if even the FAA would care.

The above is true. What is a logbook? I use a spiral notebook in the
plane that I replace every six months or so.
What happens if I lose my "logbook" and can't prove I had a BFR? Well,
the guy who gave me the BFR put it in HIS logbook and the FAR says only
that it must be logged in a logbook, not WHOSE logbook.
Please don't read stuff into the FAR's.

--
"Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool."
—- Voltaire
Old March 29th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Anonymous coward #673 wrote:
I fly through an organization that requires a proficiency check ride
every six months. As a result I somehow got it into my head that I
didn't need to worry about BFR's any more. But today my instructor
reminded me that a BFR requires an hour of ground instruction, so
technically I have not completed a BFR for (as it turns out) more than
two years (though I have received considerably more recurrent in-flight
training than the regs require). My log book now contains entries for
numerous flights conducted (inadvertently) in violation of FAR61.56.

My question to the group: what is the best way to handle this situation?
Obviously I am going to get my hour of ground instruction ASAP, but what
about all those flights that I've already logged? Should I file an ASRS
form? Call up the local FSDO and confess? Scribble out all those log
entries? Deduct the hours on those illegal flights from my PIC time?
Bribe my flight instructor to back-date my BFR? Or should I just not
worry about it and hope they don't haul my ass to Gitmo for falsifying
my log book?

You didn't falisify your log book, you just flew when you weren't legal.

Margy
Old March 29th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Anonymous coward #673

In article ,
Margy Natalie wrote:

Anonymous coward #673 wrote:
[...]

Well, I logged PIC time when I was not legally qualified to act as PIC
(though I was *acting* as PIC by virtue of being sole manipulator of the
controls).

God, this is such a weird situation.

FWIW, I am now newly BFRd, so hopefully this is now a moot point :-)

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old March 29th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LJ Blodgett

cut the page out. I did'nt say that. LJ

Margy Natalie wrote:
Anonymous coward #673 wrote:

I fly through an organization that requires a proficiency check ride
every six months. As a result I somehow got it into my head that I
didn't need to worry about BFR's any more. But today my instructor
reminded me that a BFR requires an hour of ground instruction, so
technically I have not completed a BFR for (as it turns out) more than
two years (though I have received considerably more recurrent
in-flight training than the regs require). My log book now contains
entries for numerous flights conducted (inadvertently) in violation of
FAR61.56.

My question to the group: what is the best way to handle this
situation? Obviously I am going to get my hour of ground instruction

Old March 31st 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:33:40 -0600, LJ Blodgett
wrote:

You any relation to Terry from HTL?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 31st 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:57:01 -0700, Anonymous coward #673
wrote:

I fly through an organization that requires a proficiency check ride
every six months. As a result I somehow got it into my head that I
didn't need to worry about BFR's any more. But today my instructor
reminded me that a BFR requires an hour of ground instruction, so

According to the FARs the way I read them a Proficency check can
substitute for the BFR.
My book is out in the shop and I'm too lazy to go get it, but the
remark about the Proficency check is in the section on BFRs.

Too late to be a pilot? Fuzz Piloting 12 May 12th 04 02:30 AM
Sun N Fun Pix -- Better Late than Never! Jay Honeck Piloting 40 May 11th 04 12:52 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Home Built 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Owning 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Piloting 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM