94-yr old CFI

Old December 15th 03, 12:54 AM
vincent p. norris

Pleased to hear you say that, Jay. Most of my conservative friends
hate it, won't listen to it, because (they say) it's "liberal."

Not for nothing is it known as National Partisan Radio.

Well, Dan, it's also known as National Petroleum Radio.

Names like those are thrown around by people who don't like the fact
that the media don't exactly agree with them.

Remember when Spiro Agnew attacked the "effete liberal media" in an
attempt to defend Nixon during the Watergate investigation?

That speech was written by a very conservative guy who happens to be
an editor of the New York Times!

vince norris
Old December 15th 03, 03:22 AM
Doug Carter

vincent p. norris wrote in message . ..
Ya just gotta love NPR... ;-)

Pleased to hear you say that, Jay. Most of my conservative friends
hate it, won't listen to it, because (they say) it's "liberal."

vince norris

I check in from time to time to keep up with who is victum of the
week. With hundreds of channels on the air all day and all night it
does need a bit over the top to for NPR to still receive involuntary
contributions from all of us though.
Old December 15th 03, 04:02 AM
Rob Perkins

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:16:36 -0600, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

"Rob Perkins" wrote:
The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.

I simply don't hear that, and I listen for it.

You might not find it unless you triangulate with other news outlets.

Like all news media outlets, they too have unquestioned premises. One
of them is that Democrats are Better.

Might that not be in the ear of the listener?

Of course it might.

Rob
Old December 15th 03, 03:30 PM
Joe Morris

"Dan Luke" writes:

NPR continued its above-the-rest quality aviation reporting this morning
with this story:
http://www.npr.org/display_pages/fea...e_1545986.html
Nice of them to include flying links on the page, too.

Evelyn is an amazing person. Did you see the very nice writeup in
_Flight Training_ a couple of years back when she went to Oskosh? The
captain of the (commercial) flight she was on discovered her name
on the passenger manifest -- and not only made a PA announcing her
presence (and noting that she had been his first flight instructor),
but also arranged for a (literal) red carpet to be brought out
to the airplane when it landed.

I lived for many years in East Tennessee, and for a while would
occasionally fly up to Morristown after dark to see Evelyn.

One of my goals that I never met before leaving the area was to become
qualified as a glider instructor; my intent was to give Evelyn (at my
expense) some glider lessons so that my logbook would be among the very
few in existence to reflect the giving to her of instruction in an
aircraft in which she was not qualified.

Joe Morris

Old December 15th 03, 05:30 PM
Steve Robertson

I had my PPL checkride with "Miss Evelyn" in 1983. I thought she was about
100 years old back then. Unlike most folks, I didn't especially care for her
(yes, I passed). But my hat's off to anybody that's still doing what they
want to do after nearly a century.

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft A23-24 Musketeer

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 15th 03, 07:59 PM
Malcolm Teas

wrote:

"Rob Perkins" wrote:
The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.

I simply don't hear that, and I listen for it.

You might not find it unless you triangulate with other news outlets.

Well, if you triangulate with other sources that you think are neutral
but are really partisan and you might incorrectly conclude that NPR is
partisian the opposite direction. Or, in navigational terms, make
sure your benchmarks are accurate.

It was great to hear about Evelyn. And it was something I picked up
no where else. That's why I listen to NPR. You might agree with me
that we should all be careful of believing everything we hear, from
any source. NPR at least will give me ample information about a story
and will cover a variety of subjects. Unlike most networks who just
give me at best an useless summary of a narrow range of topics or at
worst will try to tell me what to think.
Old December 15th 03, 09:24 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dan Luke wrote:

"Rob Perkins" wrote:
The right gets its say, but is made to look the fool anyway.

I simply don't hear that, and I listen for it.

I listen to NPR on the local outlet (WNYC). I find that slant a lot, but after
listening for a while, I've noticed that it is particularly the case with only
some of the hosts. There's one guy, for example, named Brian Lehrner who's on
in the morning and never misses a chance to take a dig at Republicans. Today,
he was on vacation or something, and his replacement did not do this. It seems
to me that most of the national segments ("Fresh Air", for example), are pretty
reasonable. There are portions of the broadcast day, however, that are taken up
by New York centric shows. I doubt these shows would be broadcast on whatever
station handles NPR in (for example) Nashville. With the exception of the BBC
feed in the morning, many of the news presentations are done by the local show
hosts.

Perhaps the slant Rob is seeing is the result of bias on the part of his local
NPR feed? In that case, you would not necessarily be hearing the same thing.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 16th 03, 01:33 AM
W9MV

I took my IFR check ride in January of 2003 from Evelyn, while the verbal was
realatively easy (scored a 94 on my written, and I was told that this is
typical) the flight exam was not.

From my notes I wrote the evening after the exam, I wrote:

On the Morristown LDA approach, about 3 miles from the LEABS intersection,
Evelyn failed both my H.S.I and the Artificial Horizon. At that point I
realized that I did not have my second NAV set up for the JXT ADF. I quickly
set that unit up but this distracted me enough as to begin descent about 30
seconds after the FAF. However, I was able to get the airplane down and the
actual ADF approach went well.
I thought having that type of failure at that particular time was really a
tough scenario, I thought I handled it well and that I was going to hear, "nice
work Mark".
But rather I heard "I'm not going to fail you because you delayed your decesnt
at FAF.
It was an excellent experience, and feel lucky to have Evelyn perform the test
on a test that I really worked hard to pass.

Mark