70K ft altitude record

Old August 20th 04, 07:47 PM
Mark James Boyd

Default 70K ft altitude record

So what happened to the 70K+ altitude record? I sure hope it
gets submitted to IGC. In order to deny the claim, they'll have to
assert that the recorded GPS altitude has some validity.
Once that door is opened there's an excellent, forced study of
just how valid it is if it's used as the basis for denial...

I hope it is submitted officially.
I'd love to hear more about this...
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old August 21st 04, 04:38 AM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wrote:
So what happened to the 70K+ altitude record? I sure hope it
gets submitted to IGC. In order to deny the claim, they'll have to
assert that the recorded GPS altitude has some validity.

It's "validity" has never been denied. It's included in the recordings
of all IGC approved recorders because it is a useful measurement. What's
at issue is it's use as the _only_ altitude measurement, and in place of
the traditional measurement.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old August 22nd 04, 10:05 AM
Mark James Boyd

So what does "validity" mean in practice? If the GPS altitude and
pressure altitude differ, the lower of the two is the "record?"

What's at issue before its use as the *only* altitude
measurement is if it is a better altitude measurement, also.
Anyway, I'd just like to see the letter officially denying the claim.

Old August 22nd 04, 10:35 AM
Marc Ramsey

Mark James Boyd wrote:

So what does "validity" mean in practice? If the GPS altitude and
pressure altitude differ, the lower of the two is the "record?"

Altitude records are (under the current Sporting Code) determined only
by the recorded pressure altitude. If the flight data file is seen to
have significant discrepancies between the recorded GPS and pressure
altitudes, it would be more carefully scrutinized by the record data
analysts. If there is still reason to doubt the validity of the
recorded pressure altitude, the record claim would be denied.

Marc