F;ying to Montreal from the US

Old July 15th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Default F;ying to Montreal from the US

Anyone had any experience landing at Trudeau? How hard is it to clear
customs? How about the FBO's? Any other tips?

Old July 15th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Journeyman

On 2008-07-15, Viperdoc wrote:
Anyone had any experience landing at Trudeau? How hard is it to clear
customs? How about the FBO's? Any other tips?

When I was living in White Plains, flying out of HPN, I used to do it
all the time. AOPA has much useful info about flying into Canada.

First thing, plan ahead for coming back. You need to send the U.S.
customs people $25 and they'll send you a sticker for your plane.
Unless things have changed (again), you can't just buy it when you cross
the border, you have to order it ahead of time. First time across, I
didn't have the sticker, but was able to show a receipt. Coming back
into the U.S., I usually stopped at BTV so the rest of my flight would
be domestic. Coming back into the U.S. you have to make an appointment
with the specific customs office you plan to clear (I got to know the
guy who works the Sunday afternoon shift by name). I got their phone
number from the AOPA airport guide.

Going into Canada, there's an 800 number to call before you leave. Give
them the usual info, origin, number of passengers, whether you're
bringing in guns, ETA, etc. When you land, if they aren't there to meet
you, you call the same 800 number and they'll give you a transaction
number over the phone. Otherwise, they'll do the usual document check.
Write the number somewhere safe, like in your log book in case there
are any questions later.

After you get home, expect a bill from Nav Canada (privatized ATC) for
services. They bill quarterly, same rate as the annual fee for Canadian
aircraft, pro-rated.

Crossing the border, you need to be on a flight plan and squawking a
transponder code. Flight Following is easiest if you're not IFR. I
just call up BTV approach if not already on FF.

Montreal controllers are fluently bilingual and switch between the two
languages like light switches. They usually remember to use English
for N-registered aircraft. Don't worry too much about the French
interactions: if it affects you, they'll repeat it for you.

Slightly different terminology. Circuit, not pattern; decimal, not
point. Not to worry too much. Montreal ATC is used to dealing with
American pilots. Made them laugh once. The short runway is 9000 feet
but they were doing maintenance and asked me if 4000 was okay. I told
them it was a stretch, but I think I could managed it.

Get the Canadian charts, and the Canada Flight Supplement (equivalent of
the U.S. A/FD. VNC is the equivalent of the sectional, and Montreal has
a terminal chart.

They'll probably route you direct to the Mercier Bridge which puts you
on a base leg for 24L. I forget what they do for 06R, but I think it's
also direct Mercier Bridge.

If not following the I-87 (I Follow Roads), I usually pick it up around
the border and waggle my wings at the lineup of cars sitting at the
border crossing.

I parked at the Esso (Exxon) station, Avitat. Never tried the Shell
station. Big(gish) airport: they serve mainly corp jet traffic, so
it's well-appointed. Helpful staff. Call ahead if you need a rental
car.

Email me if you have any specific questions.

Morris
Old July 16th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 15, 1:38*pm, Journeyman wrote:

First thing, plan ahead for coming back. *You need to send the U.S.
customs people $25 and they'll send you a sticker for your plane.
Unless things have changed (again), you can't just buy it when you cross
the border, you have to order it ahead of time. *First time across, I
didn't have the sticker, but was able to show a receipt. *

I've been going to Canada and Mexico several times a year for almost 6
years now and have never put a sticker on my plane. Just hand the
customs inspector a check for $25 and you should be good to go
(actually I think the last one was $28). A month later a sticker
arrives in the mail which I usually just toss.

-Robert

Old July 17th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
skym

On Jul 15, 10:14*am, "Viperdoc" wrote:
Anyone had any experience landing at Trudeau? How hard is it to clear
customs? How about the FBO's? Any other tips?

Can't talk about Montreal in particular, but Canada is pretty easy.
I've flown there several times. I second the recommendation to get
the Canadian Flight Supplement. It looks like the A/FD, but really
you need it more than you need the A/FD. There is a lot of stuff in
there that will make your flight and arrival easier. Getting back
into the US is the toughest part. AOPA has an excellent guide to
flying to/fro Canada, on its webpage. Get it.
Old July 17th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

I've reviewed the AOPA site prior to the post- was looking mostly for
suggestions on Montreal itself.

Thanks.

JN

Old July 17th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Journeyman

On 2008-07-17, Viperdoc wrote:
I've reviewed the AOPA site prior to the post- was looking mostly for
suggestions on Montreal itself.
Anyone had any experience landing at Trudeau? How hard is it to clear
customs? How about the FBO's? Any other tips?

Treat it like any U.S. class B/C airport. The FBOs are off of 24L/06R,
so expect that runway for landing. CFS (Canada Flight Supplement) gives
detailed information.

Customs is by appointment. When you call, they will ask which FBO
you're landing at and meet you there or clear you by phone.

Anything in particular you're looking to know? Are you going VFR or
IFR? I'm assuming you're coming from the South via Burlington, VT.
If you're crossing around Massena, you'll pretty much just follow the
St. Laurence (I Follow Rivers).

Morris
Old July 18th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

Great info: I was looking for insider tips for Trudeau specifically. I
understand that you're supposed to taxi directly to customs and not even
exit the plane until the customs agent comes up- is this true, or perhaps
that was regarding coming back into the states?

I will be going IFR, and probably clearing customs at Buffalo or Rochester.

Old July 18th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Viperdoc" wrote:

Great info: I was looking for insider tips for Trudeau specifically. I
understand that you're supposed to taxi directly to customs and not even
exit the plane until the customs agent comes up- is this true, or perhaps
that was regarding coming back into the states?
I will be going IFR, and probably clearing customs at Buffalo or Rochester.

In the US, you do not get out of your airplane until instructed to do so.
In Canada, if Customs agents are going to check you out, they will be
waiting for you on the ramp.
If they are not waiting for you, go into the FBO and ask for the phone
to call Customs.

A380 Montreal 2007-Nov-12 Bertrand Charest Aviation Photos 2 November 13th 07 12:54 AM
Flying into CYUL (Montreal) questions Doodybutch Owning 4 September 1st 05 07:50 PM
FBO Recommendations - Montreal Jay Somerset Piloting 3 February 1st 05 11:31 PM
Montreal? Peter MacPherson Piloting 8 June 5th 04 12:31 AM
IFR trip from Boston,MA to Montreal, Canada Marc Instrument Flight Rules 4 July 22nd 03 03:12 PM