A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Inertial vario

Old October 28th 14, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
s6
external usenet poster

Default Inertial vario

Hi
Anybody from Australia or Germany has flown with the Vaulter inertial vario
made by Wharington Smith instrument from Australia?
Comments, opinions.
Thank you,
Gilles
Old October 29th 14, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default Inertial vario

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:03:42 PM UTC-4, s6 wrote:
Hi
Anybody from Australia or Germany has flown with the Vaulter inertial vario
made by Wharington Smith instrument from Australia?
Comments, opinions.
Thank you,
Gilles

There is a short review on the segelflug.de, but don't get too excited they are only selling on the European market. They don't have plans to launch on the US market for at least 6 months so we can't have it for the next Spring. I am not sure what is driving their decision, maybe lawyers again.

Old October 29th 14, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C
external usenet poster

Default Inertial vario

There is a short review on the segelflug.de, but don't get too excited they are only selling on the European market. They don't have plans to launch on the US market for at least 6 months so we can't have it for the next Spring. I am not sure what is driving their decision, maybe lawyers again.

I've just had one installed on in my LS4. Should be flying it in NZ SI Regionals in November. Looks good in the panel I ordered for delivery to NZ.
Old October 30th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Default Inertial vario

What's special about this vario? Better than other modern varios?
Old October 30th 14, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT
external usenet poster

Default Inertial vario

On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:12:33 PM UTC+11, 7C wrote:

I've just had one installed on in my LS4. Should be flying it in NZ SI Regionals in November. Looks good in the panel I ordered for delivery to NZ.

Pls give us a report after the SI regionals (& good luck!) Thanks, Bill
Old October 30th 14, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C
external usenet poster

Default Inertial vario

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 02:55:40 UTC, waremark wrote:

Mostly because it's pretty much just a vario...

It means that I'm not going to have to memorise a manual, or wonder what 4 differently shaped and coloured symbols mean I didn't want another Flarm display or more navigation stuff to program. I don't want 4 buttons and two rotary knobs to play with when I'm flying. I want it to beep telling me what the air is doing, not what it thinks I should be doing... Ie, I'm a bit of a luddite when I'm flying!

My primary excuse was for the instantaneous wind. I really struggled with circling wind calculations flying in Omarama. Part of that is that you aren't turning enough and part is a bug in XCSoar which makes wind calculation unreliable when it's very windy. With the Vaulter the wind will update constantly regardless of how I'm flying. This should help with ridges and a bit with wave. If it hadn't been for that I would probably have just bought a Borgelt B400. (I may still to replace the mechanical)

The A/H functionality is more an emergency sanity thing rather than a primary buying reason. I had a lenticular form around me last season, it wasn't a problem but it happened so fast and literally out of the blue! It will be nice knowing I have something more than blind luck for that 1 in a 100 random occurrence!

Mel
Old October 30th 14, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Inertial vario

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 10:50:52 PM UTC+11, 7C wrote:
On Thursday, 30 October 2014 02:55:40 UTC, waremark wrote:

Mostly because it's pretty much just a vario...

It means that I'm not going to have to memorise a manual, or wonder what 4 differently shaped and coloured symbols mean I didn't want another Flarm display or more navigation stuff to program. I don't want 4 buttons and two rotary knobs to play with when I'm flying. I want it to beep telling me what the air is doing, not what it thinks I should be doing... Ie, I'm a bit of a luddite when I'm flying!

My primary excuse was for the instantaneous wind. I really struggled with circling wind calculations flying in Omarama. Part of that is that you aren't turning enough and part is a bug in XCSoar which makes wind calculation unreliable when it's very windy. With the Vaulter the wind will update constantly regardless of how I'm flying. This should help with ridges and a bit with wave. If it hadn't been for that I would probably have just bought a Borgelt B400. (I may still to replace the mechanical)

The A/H functionality is more an emergency sanity thing rather than a primary buying reason. I had a lenticular form around me last season, it wasn't a problem but it happened so fast and literally out of the blue! It will be nice knowing I have something more than blind luck for that 1 in a 100 random occurrence!

Mel

If you don't want to 'memorise a manual, or wonder what 4 differently shaped and coloured symbols mean' you definitely DON'T want to buy a B400. It's got to be the most un-unintuitive vario that I have ever had the misfortune to fly with.
Old October 30th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C
external usenet poster

Default Inertial vario

If you don't want to 'memorise a manual, or wonder what 4 differently shaped and coloured symbols mean' you definitely DON'T want to buy a B400. It's got to be the most un-unintuitive vario that I have ever had the misfortune to fly with.

Really? It beeps differently for up and down, has one button which turns off down beeps or gives average and a volume control. Doesn't do anything else! Are you sure you're not thinking of a B500?