Games related to airplanes for children

Old February 27th 05, 04:02 PM
Top Spin

Default Games related to airplanes for children

My grandson will be 8 in a month. He loves airplanes. He is also
pretty good on the computer. I was thinking of getting him a copy of
FS for his birthday, but after lurking on this ng for a few days, I am
concerned that the game is too complicated for an 8 year old.

I would appreciate any opinions on the appropriateness of FS for an 8
year old boy. If FS is not a good choice, I would appreciate
suggestions for other games involving ariplanes that would be.

He has a Windows 2000 computer.

Thanks

PS: Is there a ng that deals with children's games?

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old February 27th 05, 04:34 PM
Murmur

"Top Spin" ha scritto nel messaggio
My grandson will be 8 in a month. He loves airplanes. He is also
pretty good on the computer. I was thinking of getting him a copy of
FS for his birthday, but after lurking on this ng for a few days, I am
concerned that the game is too complicated for an 8 year old.

I would appreciate any opinions on the appropriateness of FS for an 8
year old boy. If FS is not a good choice, I would appreciate
suggestions for other games involving ariplanes that would be.

Well actually I don't think it's ever too early to begin PC Flying if
there's love for flying ;-)
After all, FS can be enjoyed even without exploiting it to the most complex
features.

Often children prefer combat flying to general aviation, e.g. Pacific
Fighters or Combat Flight Simulator 3, but I don't know if this is the case.
Try to find out.

Anyway, you love or hate Flight Simulations. If he'll love it, he'll be
forever grateful to you. :-)

Old February 27th 05, 05:23 PM
Mikael K

On 27-Feb-2005, Top Spin wrote:

I am concerned that the game is too complicated for an 8 year old.

Hmm..

My youngest son (now 9 yeas old) has enjoyed flying FS9 from he was 7... And
especially the heavies.. The bigger, the better.. ;o)
And he has no problem controlling it. Of course, the realism is turned down
so crashes just bounce him up in the air again, but otherwise he goes with
the lot.
Often flying for 1 hour or so...

But.. He also likes to take off in Combat Flight Simulator, and try to shoot
down some enemies (or get shot down him self... happens more often).
Or he goes playing in an OLD Jet Fighter game (F22 Lightning3) from '99.

When I asked him, what he did preferred (if any) he couldn't decide..
But he said, that he think he uses a little more time in one of the 2
warbird-games, than flying "normal" AC's...

So.. As Murmur says in another answer.. You have to find out what your
grandson like the most...
Maybe your son/daughter could help you decide? Also they could have an
opinion against a combat-game, and would prefer that it was "civilian"...

Regards
Mikael K

--
Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
Old February 27th 05, 05:43 PM
Tom Garrett

My grandson just turned 5 this month. When he comes over he either wants to
play Train Simulator(he is fascinated by trains!) or Flight Simulator(his
second fascination.) He is fairly good at flying, just can't land. But he
enjoys the takeoffs and flying around the sky. If you can find a friend who
had Flight Sim, maybe your grandson could try it there.
Tom

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Old February 27th 05, 07:25 PM
Top Spin

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:34:23 GMT, "Murmur"
wrote:

"Top Spin" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
My grandson will be 8 in a month. He loves airplanes. He is also
pretty good on the computer. I was thinking of getting him a copy of
FS for his birthday, but after lurking on this ng for a few days, I am
concerned that the game is too complicated for an 8 year old.

I would appreciate any opinions on the appropriateness of FS for an 8
year old boy. If FS is not a good choice, I would appreciate
suggestions for other games involving ariplanes that would be.

Well actually I don't think it's ever too early to begin PC Flying if
there's love for flying ;-)
After all, FS can be enjoyed even without exploiting it to the most complex
features.

So can the game be customized so make it less complex for beginners? I
think that would make it a go for sure. Personally, I think he'll like
it and do OK. I jjust didn't want it to be soooo hard that he then
wouldn't give it a try later.

Often children prefer combat flying to general aviation, e.g. Pacific
Fighters or Combat Flight Simulator 3, but I don't know if this is the case.
Try to find out.

Are these simpler?

Anyway, you love or hate Flight Simulations. If he'll love it, he'll be
forevemr grateful to you. :-)

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old February 27th 05, 07:28 PM
Top Spin

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:23:52 GMT, "Mikael K"
wrote:

On 27-Feb-2005, Top Spin wrote:

I am concerned that the game is too complicated for an 8 year old.

Hmm..

My youngest son (now 9 yeas old) has enjoyed flying FS9 from he was 7... And
especially the heavies.. The bigger, the better.. ;o)

That's encouraging. He's not a prodigy, is he? ;-)

And he has no problem controlling it. Of course, the realism is turned down
so crashes just bounce him up in the air again, but otherwise he goes with
the lot.

So the game can be scaled down or customized to make it a little
easier to use for beginners?

Often flying for 1 hour or so...

But.. He also likes to take off in Combat Flight Simulator, and try to shoot
down some enemies (or get shot down him self... happens more often).
Or he goes playing in an OLD Jet Fighter game (F22 Lightning3) from '99.

When I asked him, what he did preferred (if any) he couldn't decide..
But he said, that he think he uses a little more time in one of the 2
warbird-games, than flying "normal" AC's...

So.. As Murmur says in another answer.. You have to find out what your
grandson like the most...
Maybe your son/daughter could help you decide? Also they could have an
opinion against a combat-game, and would prefer that it was "civilian"...

I don't think they are 100% opposed to combat games, but I would
prefer something that had more of an instructional component.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old February 27th 05, 07:28 PM
Dallas

"Top Spin"
I am
concerned that the game is too complicated for an 8 year old.

The short answer is the sim can be as complicated as a 8 page checklist to
start a jet or as simple as pressing the engine start key and going flying
with a Cessna. If he's a smart 8 year old he should be able to have some
fun with it.

Dallas

Old February 27th 05, 07:54 PM
GeoffC

I agree. If you want to start at the beginning, turn the realism off, don't
ever think about landing and then take the extra 300 for a spin (literally).

For what it's worth I think a youngster would prefer a joystick to a yoke.

Geoff

ink.net...

Old February 27th 05, 07:59 PM
Chris Harries

" I don't think they are 100% opposed to combat games, but I would
prefer something that had more of an instructional component."

you say that but I would say that something like CFS3 still has education to
it. Its still flying just not as detailed as FS, it as that exciting
shooting element that I think many people like (not that he wouldn't like
FS) and you can learn all about old planes. WW2 types planes, how they are
different, how things are different, and in ww2 military places so he could
learn a bit about ww2 aswell. I learnt alot about WW2 from WW2 games like
Call of Duty, Medal of honour etc

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Old February 27th 05, 08:11 PM
Dallas

"Chris Harries"
you say that but I would say that something like CFS3 still has education

it.

Yeah, but with FS9 he could grow up to be an airline pilot and make oodles
of money and support Dad in his retirement years. :-)

Dallas