Wanted, electret microphone

Old August 23rd 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
noname

Default Wanted, electret microphone

The microphone in my old headset went TU and need a replacement.
Anybody have a working one they would like to part with?

Thanks

Dave

Old August 24th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Aug 23, 12:46 pm, noname wrote:
The microphone in my old headset went TU and need a replacement.
Anybody have a working one they would like to part with?

Thanks

Dave

You could probably fix it with the electret mike from a
cheap telephone (not an old carbon-mike phone). I built a headset once
and used the mike from a $3 corded phone, no preamp or anything, and
it worked OK. Had to put a small capacitor across it to bleed off some
of the high freqencies. The mike itself was maybe 3/8" diameter, about
the same thick, and fit nicely into a holder carved of wood.

Dan
Old August 25th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

wrote in message
On Aug 23, 12:46 pm, noname wrote:
The microphone in my old headset went TU and need a replacement.
Anybody have a working one they would like to part with?

Thanks

Dave

You could probably fix it with the electret mike from a
cheap telephone (not an old carbon-mike phone). I built a headset once
and used the mike from a $3 corded phone, no preamp or anything, and
it worked OK. Had to put a small capacitor across it to bleed off some
of the high freqencies. The mike itself was maybe 3/8" diameter, about
the same thick, and fit nicely into a holder carved of wood.

Dan

That sounds like a lot of work to develop something that's going to be less
effective than a replacement, but I can't say I'm innocent of spending way
too many man-hours trying to save a few bucks. The problem with using one
from a telephone is I don't think the impedence matches up and most aviation
mics have some type of noise cancelling circuitry.

Old August 25th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article NBmsk.718$lf2.305@trnddc07, "Mike"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

What makes you think the impedence of the ones in the telephones are
different from the ones in your headset?
Old August 25th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I'd rather not cobble something up if I can help it. I was just looking
for somebody with an old headset with a workable microphone that still
works.

Dave
Old August 25th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

If it is a David Clark, they will replace for free at fly-ins, where DC
has a rep.

Old August 25th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Because they are two different devices used in two different applications.
All microphones, even electret models, don't have the same impedence and
there are wide variances depending on the application. Even a mic removed
from a DC military headset won't work well in their civilian version because
of the differences in impedence.

What makes you think they are the same?

Old August 25th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article %kqsk.741$lf2.630@trnddc07, "Mike"
wrote:

What makes you think the impedence of the ones in the telephones are
different from the ones in your headset?

Because they are two different devices used in two different applications.
All microphones, even electret models, don't have the same impedence and
there are wide variances depending on the application. Even a mic removed
from a DC military headset won't work well in their civilian version because
of the differences in impedence.

What makes you think they are the same?

The voltages and currents they are typically designed to work at.
Old August 26th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

wrote:

What makes you think the impedence of the ones in the telephones are
different from the ones in your headset?

Because they are two different devices used in two different
applications.
All microphones, even electret models, don't have the same impedence and
there are wide variances depending on the application. Even a mic
removed
from a DC military headset won't work well in their civilian version
because
of the differences in impedence.

What makes you think they are the same?

The voltages and currents they are typically designed to work at.

Which can vary widely in telephones and don't by themselves determine
impedence anyway.

Some telephone electret mics are 1000 ohms and civilian headset electret
mics are typically 50 ohms. That's not to say there aren't telephone
electret mics that are also 50 ohms, but I suspect most are higher.

Old August 26th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

..
I've been watching this thread for some time and what is said below is just
busslit. No native electret mic that was ever made was 50 ohms, nor are
aircraft microphones 50 ohms nor are thelphone electret mikes 1k. You are
blowing smoke.

BTW, having been in the aircraft headset business for twenty years and
change, I can tell you that when a clown like this comes on asking where to
get a "replacement mic" without telling you the manufacturer and model of
the headset, he is trolling for ANY microphone that he can use to convert a
Harbor Freight type headset to aircraft use on the cheap.

Jim