Dumping Flying Magazine

Old April 9th 04, 02:24 PM
Dave

Default Dumping Flying Magazine

Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?
Why does it seem that all I read about are trip reports from Mac and
Dick Collins that, personally, offer little educational value? Each
of these guys write serveral articles per issue. Are they that hard
up for good writers, or do these guys just like to write everything
themselves? When I open AOPA Pilot, Flight Training, Private Pilot,
Plane and Pilot, etc. I find a good balance of education, reviews, and
good tidbits. All I feel I've gained from reading Flying is knowing
every detail of what's in the Avionics stack of Mac's Barron and
Dick's Cessna P210.
Old April 9th 04, 02:42 PM
Jay Honeck

Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?

Two words: Lane Wallace.

I'd buy the mag just for her!

:-)

(But I agree with everything else you've said...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 9th 04, 02:46 PM
C J Campbell

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?

Actually, it is a little better than it used to be. Time was when you would
find no mention in Flying of anything that burned avgas.

Old April 9th 04, 02:56 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?
Why does it seem that all I read about are trip reports from Mac and
Dick Collins that, personally, offer little educational value? Each
of these guys write serveral articles per issue. Are they that hard
up for good writers, or do these guys just like to write everything
themselves? When I open AOPA Pilot, Flight Training, Private Pilot,
Plane and Pilot, etc. I find a good balance of education, reviews, and
good tidbits. All I feel I've gained from reading Flying is knowing
every detail of what's in the Avionics stack of Mac's Barron and
Dick's Cessna P210.

I dumped _Flying_ when Gordon Baxter had to retire.

After the 112th straight issue with an article about either Falcon's or
Gulfstream's and the obscure plane-of-the month, I'd had enough.

Old April 9th 04, 03:15 PM
Dan Luke

"Dave" wrote:
Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA
magazines to read?

Flying aims for an upscale market compared to the spam can monthlies
like Plane and Pilot or Private Pilot. Still, it is worth the
subscription price for Peter Garrison's columns, if nothing else.

Why does it seem that all I read about are trip reports
from Mac and Dick Collins that, personally, offer little
educational value? Each of these guys write serveral
articles per issue. Are they that hard up for good writers,
or do these guys just like to write everything
themselves?

I agree: too much McClellan and Collins. Flying needs an overhaul.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 9th 04, 03:56 PM
Thomas Borchert

Dave,

Your impression equals mine. I keep it because it is so cheap, but I am
over and over again offended/bored by Collins's and Mac's articles.

As for Lane Wallace, yeah, right, but she tends to write the same
article (lots of emotion, feely, touchy) over and over again.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 9th 04, 04:19 PM
Maule Driver

Contrarian here... I like Flying

I enjoy Mac and Dick. I always find it educational - especially from the
standpoint of using GA aircraft for travel. I usually like Dick Karl. I
like Garrison as long as he stays technical but I don't care for his
aftermaths. I rarely read the jet & rotorwing reviews.

I would suggest that most non-pro GA pilots think and speak about safety in
Dick Collin's terms. Those pilots may not know it and may not agree with
him (pilots agree?) but he is responsible for 'setting the table'.

I always feel a bit empty by the time I get to the end of the AOPA mag but
don't know why. I seem to be the target market but the mag comes up short.
I think the world of the organization though.

Private and P&P just don't have the writers.

IFR is great! I rip thru that. IFR Refresher is full of reruns so I
stopped.

Lane is OK and can get better.

I miss Bax but then who doesn't.

om...

Old April 9th 04, 04:35 PM
John Gaquin

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

I agree: too much .... Collins. \

It had too much Collins 25 years ago, when I dropped it.