SR-22 in northern NJ?

Old July 10th 03, 07:49 PM
Guy Elden Jr.

Default SR-22 in northern NJ?

Hi all... I'm nearing the completion of my IR training at CDW, and I'm
really eager to try out a Cirrus SR-22 once I'm done. Does anybody know of a
FBO, school, club, or partnership of pilots who have an SR-22 available to
rent or even buy a share of? I'm not quite interested in the Airshares Elite
program... doesn't sound like a good deal moneywise at all, but I'd
appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

--
Guy Elden Jr.
PP-ASEL

Old July 10th 03, 08:06 PM
Bob Chilcoat

There's an SR-22 at SMQ, but it's privately owned. OTOH, if you talk to the
owner, he would probably give you a ride. It usually doesn't take much to
get an owner to show of their new toy. FBO is 908-722-2444

Old July 10th 03, 09:37 PM
Justin Case

If you're not just out for a joy ride, call the company and have them
contact the nearest dealer. They'll fly down to Caldwell and woo you
for sure.

hOn Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:06:56 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"

Old July 10th 03, 09:51 PM
Guy Elden Jr.

Oh I probably don't need to be wooed... I'm pretty much sold on it based
purely on speed. I'd like to be able to fly down to Atlanta and back for
weekend visits with the family from time to time, and it seems that this
plane would be ideal for that. I'm not looking to buy one outright, but
would consider a partial ownership arrangement, or ideally for the
short-term, an FBO that has one available to rent.

Searching google groups, I found a post about a flying club in Charlotte
that had one that rented out for $150 / hr back in 2000 or 2001. That
sounded like an incredibly good deal, but I'm much more realistic in my
expectations for the local market.

--
Guy Elden Jr.
PP-ASEL

Old July 10th 03, 10:16 PM
David Megginson

"Guy Elden Jr." writes:

Oh I probably don't need to be wooed... I'm pretty much sold on it
based purely on speed. I'd like to be able to fly down to Atlanta
and back for weekend visits with the family from time to time, and
it seems that this plane would be ideal for that.

If what you're interested in is just speed, rather than a flashy
panel, why not consider a 25-year-old Mooney 201? It's only 10 kt
slower than a new SR22 (170 ktas vs. 180 ktas), but will cost 1/3 the
price or less, so you can own the whole plane instead of just a share.
It also burns only 10 gph at 75%, vs. 16-17 gph for the SR22, and has
a smaller engine (i.e. cheaper maintenance and overhauls), so you'll
be able to afford to fly more.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, , http://www.megginson.com/
Old July 10th 03, 10:31 PM
Rod Madsen

My flying club (in Charlotte) has an SR-22. It gets a lot of use. That
doesn't do you much good in NJ though. I'm sure Cirrus knows where the club
planes are.

Rod

Old July 10th 03, 11:25 PM
Ron Natalie

"David Megginson" wrote in message ...

I love my Warrior, but I'm always happy to drool over Mooneys. When I
see a Bonanza, at least I can take comfort in the fact that the owner
is paying an awful lot more than I am to keep the plane flying. With
a Mooney, I have no such comfort: it bugs the hell out of me that they
can fly so fast while paying barely any more than they would to keep a
Skyhawk or Warrior flying (less, in fact, in fuel costs per mile
flown).

Lopresti is a whiz! The post Lopresti Mooneys and Grummans are pretty
slick puppies. The Tiger can give a lot a lot of retracts a run for their
money as well.

Old July 11th 03, 12:43 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Natalie wrote:

Lopresti is a whiz!

Was.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 11th 03, 07:16 AM

On 10-Jul-2003, "Guy Elden Jr." wrote:

Oh I probably don't need to be wooed... I'm pretty much sold on it based
purely on speed. I'd like to be able to fly down to Atlanta and back for
weekend visits with the family from time to time, and it seems that this
plane would be ideal for that.

The distance from CDW to ATL isv about 650 nm. Many relatively high
performance singles will not be able to make that trip nonstop with typical
IFR reserves. The SR-22 is one that can, as long as headwinds are not too
severe. Another is a later, normally aspirated Arrow (with 72 gal. fuel).

As a rule of thumb to figure calm wind IFR range, I subtract from the
plane's fuel load the quantity required for 1.5 hrs at normal cruise (to
cover getting to the alternate plus the required 45 min. reserve), then
divide the remainder by the cruise fuel burn and then multiply by the cruise
speed.

Example for the SR-22 with 82 gal usable fuel, 15 gph cruise burn rate and
180 kt cruise speed:

82 - (1.5 X 15) = 59.5 gal.

59.5/15 = 3.97 hrs

3.97 X 180 = 714 nm IFR range.

No problem covering the 650 nm trip from CDW to ATL, but against an average
15 kt headwind it would be right on the edge (while maintaining the same
conservative reserve margins).