uh oh, Plane flies over Bush motorcade

Old July 24th 03, 07:30 PM
Mutts

Default uh oh, Plane flies over Bush motorcade

from drudge report...........

Low flying single engine plane flies directly over President Bushes motorcade
in Philadelphia, before being intercepted and grounded by police. Security
breach occurred at 12:07 p.m. on Interstate 95 heading south toward
Philadelphia. Bush had just finished a visit to the Financial Management
Service Facility, which mails out tax rebate checks. Flying from right to left
the white plane flew over the Presidents motorcade just north of exit 26, with
a police chopper hot on it’s tail. Breach occurred just weeks after stow away
boarded Bush press plane in Africa... Developing...

Old July 24th 03, 08:53 PM
Gene Seibel

Drudge Report http://www.drudgereport.com/
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
y.com...
Can't find a record of this account... where did you find it??

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com

Old July 24th 03, 09:30 PM
Mutts

from reuters.........

Pilot Detained After Veering Near Bush Motorcade
Thu July 24, 2003 04:17 PM ET
PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A man piloting a small plane that veered too close to
President Bush's motorcade on Thursday was detained by federal agents after
F-16 fighters and a police helicopter forced him to land, officials said.

The pilot, who was patrolling oil pipelines in a single-engine Cessna at
altitudes too low to be sighted by radar, entered a 30-mile no-fly zone and
flew along Bush's motorcade route as the president was traveling from a
speaking event in Philadelphia, officials said.

The pilot was identified only as an employee of Underwood Aerial Patrol of
Ohio.

"He was unaware that there was a temporary flight restriction in effect. There
was no threat. There was no malice," said James Borasi, special agent in charge
of the U.S. Secret Service's Philadelphia field office.

The incident, which occurred shortly after noon EDT, triggered a scramble of
F-16 fighters, which forced the pilot down at Camden County Airport in Berlin,
New Jersey, with help from a police helicopter, airport officials said.

About 30 police officers, with their guns drawn, waited as the Cessna taxied to
a stop and then ordered the pilot to lie down on the tarmac.

"They handcuffed him and whisked him out of here," said Karl Kleinberg, the
airport's owner.

Four hours after the incident, the pilot was still being detained as a suburban
New Jersey police station.

Old July 24th 03, 09:33 PM
Ron Natalie

"Mutts" wrote in message ...

"He was unaware that there was a temporary flight restriction in effect. There
was no threat. There was no malice," said James Borasi, special agent in charge
of the U.S. Secret Service's Philadelphia field office.

Of course, the only malice is going to be on the part of the secret service. I bet
they still persue the violation against him. A guy from Potomac Center says they
are spending a lot of time on violation paperwork even on stupid things (like pilots
being rolled over to 1200 from their discrete codes a mile too soon before they're
out of the ADIZ).

Old July 24th 03, 09:51 PM
Maule Driver

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message news:3f20429b$0$39652
Of course, the only malice is going to be on the part of the secret

service. I bet
they still persue the violation against him. A guy from Potomac Center

says they
are spending a lot of time on violation paperwork even on stupid things

(like pilots
being rolled over to 1200 from their discrete codes a mile too soon before

they're
out of the ADIZ).

I hope the pilot has his humble hat screwed on tight. A run-in with a
Secret Service operation will remind you what life in Iraq must have been
like. Just shut-up, avert your eyes, and say thank you, may I have another
sir.

I'm just glad to hear it wasn't some solo student out boring holes in the
practice area. That would have been a very traumatic flight.

Old July 24th 03, 10:07 PM
Tim Bengtson

"He was unaware that there was a temporary flight restriction in effect. There
was no threat. There was no malice," said James Borasi, special agent in charge
of the U.S. Secret Service's Philadelphia field office.

But I'll bet dollars to donuts that won't stop the FAA from at least
suspending his pilot's certifcate for a while...

Tim
Old July 24th 03, 10:27 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tim Bengtson" wrote in message ...
"He was unaware that there was a temporary flight restriction in effect. There
was no threat. There was no malice," said James Borasi, special agent in charge
of the U.S. Secret Service's Philadelphia field office.

But I'll bet dollars to donuts that won't stop the FAA from at least
suspending his pilot's certifcate for a while...

It is my understanding that the FAA isn't even given any discretion
in this. TFR violators will be executed. The FAA just pushes
the paperwork for those really in control of this government.

Old July 25th 03, 02:04 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

(CNN) -- A pilot forced to land because he had entered closed airspace was
unaware of the temporary restrictions imposed because President Bush was in
the area, according to initial inquiries, the Secret Service said.

The Cessna 172 was intercepted over the route that the president's motorcade
was to follow to Philadelphia, and the pilot, whose name was not released,
was ordered to land at Camden County Airport.

A Secret Service spokeswoman said the plane was flying low and erratically.

She added the president was never in danger and that the initial conclusion
was that the pilot did not know about the temporary airspace restrictions.

The Secret Service said initial interviews indicated that the pilot, the
only person in the single-engine plane, was on contract to inspect
above-ground oil pipelines for possible damage, which required him to fly
low.

Karl Kleinberg, owner and operator of the Camden County Airport, said local
and federal officials -- including police, the FBI, and Secret Service --
converged on the airport in about a dozen vehicles, approached the pilot
with guns drawn, ordered him to the ground, handcuffed him and took him
away.

But even as it was happening, Kleinberg said, he felt it was of no
significance.

"The problem is, every time the president moves someplace to make a speech,
they give you last-minute instructions and a lot of times pilots don't get
the word."

Kleinberg said it was safe to assume the pilot "was not aware of the
restriction."

-- CNN Senior White House Correspondent John King and Producer Shannon
Troetel contributed to this story.

Old July 25th 03, 02:42 AM
H. Adam Stevens

pipeline patrol
atc contact

morons

m...

Old July 25th 03, 04:55 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
.com...

I hope the pilot has his humble hat screwed on tight. A run-in with a
Secret Service operation will remind you what life in Iraq must have been
like. Just shut-up, avert your eyes, and say thank you, may I have

another
sir.

Have you ever had experience being questioned by the Secret Service or are
you just guessing?

My experience has been that they are very determined, very professional,
very polite, and very determined.

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM