Man Falls out of 152

Old September 26th 04, 03:58 AM
Chris W

Default Man Falls out of 152

A friend of mine told me he was following this news story where 2 men
were flying in a 152 somewhere in Texas. While making a turn to the
right, the passenger fell out of the plane. This was a few days ago and
my friend hasn't heard any updates. Anyone here know about this and
heard anything else? The whole thing sounds a little fishy to me.

--
Chris W

Not getting the gifts you want? The Wish Zone can help.
http://thewishzone.com

Old September 26th 04, 04:06 AM
Newps

Chris W wrote:
A friend of mine told me he was following this news story where 2 men
were flying in a 152 somewhere in Texas. While making a turn to the
right, the passenger fell out of the plane. This was a few days ago and
my friend hasn't heard any updates. Anyone here know about this and
heard anything else? The whole thing sounds a little fishy to me.

Not possible to fall out of a 152 even if there was no door. Go sit in
one sometime and it will become readily apparent.

Old September 26th 04, 04:17 AM
C J Campbell

"Chris W" wrote in message
newsgq5d.366563$sh.266506@fed1read06...
A friend of mine told me he was following this news story where 2 men
were flying in a 152 somewhere in Texas. While making a turn to the
right, the passenger fell out of the plane. This was a few days ago and
my friend hasn't heard any updates. Anyone here know about this and
heard anything else? The whole thing sounds a little fishy to me.

Was it this one? Anyway, every now and then the news will report on someone
committing suicide this way.

NTSB Identification: FTW03LA041.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact
Public Inquiries
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, November 17, 2002 in Houston, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 9/30/2003
Aircraft: Cessna 152, registration: N4794P
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Uninjured.
When the private pilot scheduled the instructional flight, he stated that he
had an ear operation and needed to see how his ears would feel at altitude
before he went for an FAA medical certificate. He also stated that he was
contemplating doing some aerial photography, and wanted to see how the
aerial visibility was from the airplane during turns at altitude. He flew
the airplane to an altitude of 9,500 feet msl where he opened the left
window, stated that he wanted to check his ears, and requested that the CFI
fly the airplane. The private pilot made two request for the CFI to increase
the angle of bank. Subsequently, the flight instructor increased the turn to
45-degree bank and started a 300 to 500 foot per minute descent rate. The
CFI heard a "noise that sounded like maybe the seat belt hitting the side of
the [air]plane" and the CFI looked to his left and saw the private pilot
exiting the airplane. The CFI noticed the #1 radio was already tuned to
121.5 MHz (emergency frequency). The CFI notified the controller that the
private pilot had exited the airplane. The CFI landed the airplane without
incident. Examination of the aircraft restraint system and the left cabin
door did not reveal any discrepancies. Evidence and statements obtained by
friends and co-workers of the private pilot indicated an ongoing treatment
for depression and a recent intent to take his own life by using an
aircraft. A note found in the private pilot's vehicle stated in part: "I'm
tired of being depressed. I've been this way for almost 2 months. I'm about
ready to do anything to stop feeling this way."

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of
this accident as follows:

The dual student's intentional suicide by exiting from the airplane during
descent. A contributing factor was the psychological condition of the dual
student.

Old September 26th 04, 04:47 AM
Chris W

Newps wrote:

Not possible to fall out of a 152 even if there was no door. Go sit in
one sometime and it will become readily apparent.

I've been in a 152 before, it was several years ago, but I distinctly
remember that it was very difficult to get in and out, I could hardly
get my knee past the opening. I think it would be much easier to "fall"
out head first though.

--
Chris W

Bring Back the HP 15C
http://hp15c.org

Old September 26th 04, 06:54 AM
Chris W

C J Campbell wrote:

Was it this one? Anyway, every now and then the news will report on

someone
committing suicide this way.

NTSB Identification: FTW03LA041. . . .

That sounds a lot like what he was telling me but he made it sound like
it happened recently, he also gave a town and it wasn't Huston, I would
have remembered that. I will have to print this out and show him next
time I see him and see if this is what he read about. Thanks for the
report.

--
Chris W

Bring Back the HP 15C
http://hp15c.org

Old September 26th 04, 07:17 AM
Montblack

"C J Campbell"
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s)

of
this accident as follows:

The dual student's intentional suicide by exiting from the airplane during
descent. A contributing factor was the psychological condition of the dual
student.

IIRC, it was a darn funny thread!!!

What? It's not like the guy landed on anyone :-)

Montblack

Old September 26th 04, 07:39 AM
C J Campbell

"Montblack" wrote in message
"C J Campbell"
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable

cause(s)
of
this accident as follows:

The dual student's intentional suicide by exiting from the airplane

during
descent. A contributing factor was the psychological condition of the

dual
student.

IIRC, it was a darn funny thread!!!

What? It's not like the guy landed on anyone :-)

The only thing I remember about the thread was whether the instructor
could/should have prevented the man from turning himself into a human lawn
dart and whether the instructor was telling the truth that he did not notice
the man opening the door.

Of course, anyone who would try this probably could not care less if they
landed on someone. People who are that depressed are invariably so wrapped
up in themselves and their imaginary problems that the rest of the world
barely exists for them. In fact, one of the reasons they kill themselves is
to hurt others. "They'll be sorry when I'm gone" is a common refrain.

It is really too bad. Depression is often treatable and usually temporary.
Most people suffer varying degrees of depression at some time in their
lives. It would be a heck of a note if we just let them all kill themselves.

Old September 26th 04, 07:40 AM
Scott D.

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:17:52 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"Chris W" wrote in message
newsgq5d.366563$sh.266506@fed1read06...
A friend of mine told me he was following this news story where 2 men
were flying in a 152 somewhere in Texas. While making a turn to the
right, the passenger fell out of the plane. This was a few days ago and
my friend hasn't heard any updates. Anyone here know about this and
heard anything else? The whole thing sounds a little fishy to me.

Was it this one? Anyway, every now and then the news will report on someone
committing suicide this way.

NTSB Identification: FTW03LA041.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact
Public Inquiries
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, November 17, 2002 in Houston, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 9/30/2003

That's the one that came to my mind when I read the OP. The plane
originated out of DWH if I recall correctly and the body was located
in a field outside of Hempstead by a farmer a week or so later. The
guy was a NASA employee that was being investigated for theft of a
laptop with classified material on it according to the Houston
Chronicle among other things. He definitely did not "fall" out, he
jumped.

I just wonder what happened to the CFI that was in the plane. You
know that had to shake him up a little mentally.

Scott D.

Old September 26th 04, 08:29 AM
Shiver Me Timbers

Scott D. wrote:

He definitely did not "fall" out, he jumped.

I just wonder what happened to the CFI that was in the plane. You
know that had to shake him up a little mentally.

Don't forget about the guy (senior) who went for a ride in a biplane
and decided to end it all by unstrapping himself and going over the
side.
Old September 26th 04, 02:24 PM
Rocky

Chris W wrote in message news:ogq5d.366563$sh.266506@fed1read06...
A friend of mine told me he was following this news story where 2 men
were flying in a 152 somewhere in Texas. While making a turn to the
right, the passenger fell out of the plane. This was a few days ago and
my friend hasn't heard any updates. Anyone here know about this and
heard anything else? The whole thing sounds a little fishy to me.

That sounds a WHOLE LOT fishy to me. In fact, I'd say it is impossible
unless the individual worked at getting out of the airplane in flight.
I am currently teaching three primary students and showed them how
hard it was to open the door of a C-152 in flight. I did it to
alleviate their fears of falling out of the airplane if a door popped
open which happens from time to time.
Ol Shy & Bashful