Cessna air vents

Old December 29th 05, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cessna air vents

Hello everyone. It's getting a little chilly around here now; I have seen
the "ventubes" that are being sold for $75 apiece. Has anyone simply taped
over the inlet in the wing root? I was thinking of giving this a try,
seeing that there is no real need for cold air ventilation at this time of
year.

Matt

Old December 29th 05, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Matt wrote:
Hello everyone. It's getting a little chilly around here now; I have seen
the "ventubes" that are being sold for $75 apiece. Has anyone simply taped
over the inlet in the wing root? I was thinking of giving this a try,
seeing that there is no real need for cold air ventilation at this time of
year.

The problem is, just putting plain old duct tape on the vents isn't
legal. To make it legal, what you need to do is get a FAA 337 form
and a roll of STC duct tape. Use the STC duct tape to tape the 337
form over the vent and you're good to go.
Old December 29th 05, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Rather than tape on the outside, try taping over the outlets on the
inside of the cabin. Another option is stuffing a bit of foam into
the outlets inside the cabin. I went the foam route on the
outlets in the cherokee -- they're close to the floor. Which means
in nice, sunny weather, the body and head are nice and warm, and
the feet are icicles...

Old December 29th 05, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Roy Smith wrote:
Matt wrote:
Hello everyone. It's getting a little chilly around here now; I have seen
the "ventubes" that are being sold for $75 apiece. Has anyone simply taped
over the inlet in the wing root? I was thinking of giving this a try,
seeing that there is no real need for cold air ventilation at this time of
year.

The problem is, just putting plain old duct tape on the vents isn't
legal. To make it legal, what you need to do is get a FAA 337 form
and a roll of STC duct tape. Use the STC duct tape to tape the 337
form over the vent and you're good to go.

Use the clear packing tape, nobody at a distance, can see it...

Old December 29th 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Have you considered having a cockpit fire?

Old December 29th 05, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote:
Have you considered having a cockpit fire?

Yes, but I find that gathering the kindling before the flight is a bit of a
hassle.

I would prefer to just minimize the cold air entering past the vents.

Old December 30th 05, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Matt" wrote in message
m...
Hello everyone. It's getting a little chilly around here now; I have seen
the "ventubes" that are being sold for $75 apiece. Has anyone simply

taped
over the inlet in the wing root? I was thinking of giving this a try,
seeing that there is no real need for cold air ventilation at this time of
year.

Matt

My Cessna vents were made 58 years ago and don't leak a bit. Rebuild them
with new felt and they should work just like new.

Old December 30th 05, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dave Stadt wrote:
"Matt" wrote in message
m...

Hello everyone. It's getting a little chilly around here now; I have seen
the "ventubes" that are being sold for $75 apiece. Has anyone simply

taped

over the inlet in the wing root? I was thinking of giving this a try,
seeing that there is no real need for cold air ventilation at this time of
year.

Matt

My Cessna vents were made 58 years ago and don't leak a bit. Rebuild them
with new felt and they should work just like new.

Yes, I rebuilt the one's on my 67 Skylane and they sealed well after that.

Matt
Old December 30th 05, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Matt wrote:
: "Brien K. Meehan" wrote:
: Have you considered having a cockpit fire?

: Yes, but I find that gathering the kindling before the flight is a bit of a
: hassle.

Try dumping the 100LL from the fuel samples into a can full of sand and
igniting it. It should keep you nice & warm...

: I would prefer to just minimize the cold air entering past the vents.

The flight school that I went to has a large number of beat-up 152's.
They duct tape the air intakes at the wing root each year. It works great.
--
Aaron C.