AOPA Mag This Month

Old April 3rd 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default AOPA Mag This Month

It's interesting to see AOPA doing a piece on "Flying in Europe", so
soon after our long thread on the same topic. Many of their
conclusions were the same as ours.

Also, strangely enough, there's another article this month on "Flying
GA to Memphis", in order to visit Beale Street and all the great blues
bands. Why, I think AOPA is copying our every word!

We're apparently on the cutting edge in this group, boys and girls,
and AOPA Pilot is tracking our collective stream of consciousness.
Watch next month for an article on "Tower-Induced Go-'rounds"!

:-)
---
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Old April 3rd 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

On Apr 3, 1:29 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
It's interesting to see AOPA doing a piece on "Flying in Europe", so
soon after our long thread on the same topic. Many of their
conclusions were the same as ours.

Also, strangely enough, there's another article this month on "Flying
GA to Memphis", in order to visit Beale Street and all the great blues
bands. Why, I think AOPA is copying our every word!

We're apparently on the cutting edge in this group, boys and girls,
and AOPA Pilot is tracking our collective stream of consciousness.
Watch next month for an article on "Tower-Induced Go-'rounds"!

:-)

Maybe Anthony can submit an article on MS Flight Simulator. :-)

Old April 3rd 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 3, 1:29 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
It's interesting to see AOPA doing a piece on "Flying in Europe", so
soon after our long thread on the same topic. Many of their
conclusions were the same as ours.

Also, strangely enough, there's another article this month on "Flying
GA to Memphis", in order to visit Beale Street and all the great blues
bands. Why, I think AOPA is copying our every word!

We're apparently on the cutting edge in this group, boys and girls,
and AOPA Pilot is tracking our collective stream of consciousness.
Watch next month for an article on "Tower-Induced Go-'rounds"!

:-)

Maybe Anthony can submit an article on MS Flight Simulator. :-)

Please no.

---------------------------------
DW

Old April 3rd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian[_1_]

On Apr 3, 2:37 pm, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
"cjcampbell" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 3, 1:29 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
It's interesting to see AOPA doing a piece on "Flying in Europe", so
soon after our long thread on the same topic. Many of their
conclusions were the same as ours.

Also, strangely enough, there's another article this month on "Flying
GA to Memphis", in order to visit Beale Street and all the great blues
bands. Why, I think AOPA is copying our every word!

We're apparently on the cutting edge in this group, boys and girls,
and AOPA Pilot is tracking our collective stream of consciousness.
Watch next month for an article on "Tower-Induced Go-'rounds"!

:-)

Maybe Anthony can submit an article on MS Flight Simulator. :-)

Please no.

---------------------------------
DW- Hide quoted text -

Oh why not, he could have the following topics....

Aircraft engines that don't leak oil

or

747 Cat III approaches in 3 easy steps...

or

Taxi lines painted by minimum wage programmers.

I am sure there or more topics I have missed or forgotten.

Brian

Old April 3rd 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Brian" wrote in message oups.com...
: On Apr 3, 2:37 pm, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
: "cjcampbell" wrote in message
:
: oups.com...
:
:
:
:
: Maybe Anthony can submit an article on MS Flight Simulator. :-)
:
: Please no.
:
: ---------------------------------
: DW- Hide quoted text -
:
:
: Oh why not, he could have the following topics....
:
: Aircraft engines that don't leak oil
:
: or
:
: 747 Cat III approaches in 3 easy steps...
:
: or
:
: Taxi lines painted by minimum wage programmers.
:
:
: I am sure there or more topics I have missed or forgotten.
:
: Brian
:

Do you folks always have to divert a thread with this banter?

Old April 3rd 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Blueskies" wrote:

Do you folks always have to divert a thread with this banter?

No. Sometimes it happens without someone trying...

--
Bob Noel
(gave up looking for a particular sig the lawyer will hate)

Old April 3rd 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's interesting to see AOPA doing a piece on "Flying in Europe", so
soon after our long thread on the same topic. Many of their
conclusions were the same as ours.

Also, strangely enough, there's another article this month on "Flying
GA to Memphis", in order to visit Beale Street and all the great blues
bands. Why, I think AOPA is copying our every word!

Knowing some of the "Europeans" they interviewed they have exaggerated a
great deal but they have given AOPA what they want to help their campaign
and good luck to them. You can fool some of the people all of the time. Some
of the quotes were pathetic, especially the one on landings. The truth is if
you want to fly you will, and if the costs go up you sacrifice something
that is less important to stay flying.

Nowhere for example in respect of the UK did they mention that all the
airports, Heathrow included are privately owned have shareholders and run
for a profit.

Heathrow is really a shopping centre with an airport attached and their
business model relies on passengers spending in the vast array of shops and
food outlets.

A 747 with 350 people on board will generate far more income for the airport
than a donk in his A36 hence why if you want to take a A36 into Heathrow it
is expensive. There are many cheaper places are nearby. So those who can
afford the private jets can afford to fly into LHR. As LHR is at almost
full capacity slotwise, then slow aircraft are not wanted at all. Turboprop
aircraft have almost all gone from Heathrow, it seems like jets only.

As has been covered before, the top end of GA, with the jets, fractional
ownership, have customers who can afford it. So the costs are of little
consequence. For the average private pilot, flying is a recreation, a hobby
and not a serious mode of transport for the masses.

I am faced with going to Glasgow this month. $130 by scheduled carrier, $600
if I fly myself, roughly $100/ hour with $20 landing and overnight parking.
With the guarantee of getting there and back from the scheduled carrier, it
is a no brainer, I will be home mid morning and have the rest of the weekend
with the family.

Going to Europe is the same - for serious travel go by car, train or
scheduled carrier. The trains in Europe are seriously fast and if you have
work to do better than the planes.

EuroTrips I have done by light aircraft have been, the Normandy Beaches (a
perfect little trip and best done by air and foot), the WWI trenches, the
Somme etc.

Trips planned include retracing the steps of the Dambusters and a couple of
other wartime aviation exploits.

Eurocontrol and the powers that be will not be involved except for the
flight plan as we cross borders. Just wondering whether the German Ack Ack
sorry ATC will work out from the routing the significance of the trip.

All will require some flexibility re time so a strict schedule is impossible
to follow. "If you have time to spare go by air".

Old April 4th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
It's interesting to see AOPA doing a piece on "Flying in Europe", so
soon after our long thread on the same topic. Many of their
conclusions were the same as ours.

Also, strangely enough, there's another article this month on "Flying
GA to Memphis", in order to visit Beale Street and all the great blues
bands. Why, I think AOPA is copying our every word!

We're apparently on the cutting edge in this group, boys and girls,
and AOPA Pilot is tracking our collective stream of consciousness.
Watch next month for an article on "Tower-Induced Go-'rounds"!

And altimeters that indicate the altitude at the level of the
instrument! :-)

Matt
Old April 4th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

On Apr 3, 3:30 pm, Bob Noel
wrote:
In article ,

"Blueskies" wrote:
Do you folks always have to divert a thread with this banter?

No. Sometimes it happens without someone trying...

--
Bob Noel
(gave up looking for a particular sig the lawyer will hate)

Truly. You try to do a little one-liner funny, and it blows up on you.

Old April 4th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
"Borat" wrote:

Eurocontrol and the powers that be will not be involved except for the
flight plan as we cross borders. Just wondering whether the German Ack Ack
sorry ATC will work out from the routing the significance of the trip.

So long as you do not file as the original mission number and callsign,
IP and altitiude, they will not figure it out. Oh... and do not file
aircraft type as AVRO Lancaster.