City controlled airspace?

Old April 26th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default City controlled airspace?

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Sylvain writes:

Pilots flying without a license, this one is easy: none of them
(ok, some might be picky and point out that folks flying with a
certificate issued under 14 CFR 61.75 do indeed need a license in
addition to their certificate, if their country of origin issues
one).

as for folks flying without a medical; well, you have all the
glider pilots to boot, and they have been doing that for a long
time, no problem; and pilots with sport pilot certificates. (I
don't know about ultralights pilots but I reckon they don't need one
either); To that lot, you can also add a number of instructors,
since a valid medical is not required to instruct a student who is
already certificated.

Actually, I meant how many pilots are flying illegally (because they
lack a valid license or a current medical, for example)?

Well, not you, even though you don't have a licence, you don't fly!

Bertie
Old April 26th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Sylvain writes:

That is precisely why you do NOT need a license to
fly in USA. You do however need a certificate.

They are one and the same.

No, they aren't, fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old April 27th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Because it is not a question to which I chose to respond.

Perfectly understandable.

While you did pose that question in: Message-ID:
et, it wasn't
addressed to me.

But it was my initial question.

Old April 27th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

The FAA defines the piece of paper in my pocket as a certificate.

The airman certificate in your pocket is by definition a license.

The FAA defines flight over a layer by a VFR Aircraft as VFR-OVER-THE-TOP.

The FAA does not define flight over a layer by a VFR aircraft as
VFR-ON-TOP

Now you're catching on.

The FAA does not define the piece of paper in my pocket at a license.

Correct, but some people conclude that because pilots' licenses issued in
the US are called "airman certificates" they are not licenses. In much the
same way some states call drivers licenses "operators permits", but they are
no less a license.

Old April 27th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sylvain" wrote in message
news

Pilots flying without a license, this one is easy: none of them (ok,
some might be picky and point out that folks flying with a certificate
issued under 14 CFR 61.75 do indeed need a license in addition to their
certificate, if their country of origin issues one).

An airman certificate is a license.

Old April 27th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

The FAA defines the piece of paper in my pocket as a certificate.

The airman certificate in your pocket is by definition a license.

Where is that definition written?

My point here is that if the city is going to write laws, they should use
proper terminology. I once saw a real estate development delayed because one
town required the developer to obtain a certificate of compliance for a
traffic study from an adjacent town. The problem is that the adjacent town
doesn't issue certificates of compliance for traffic studies. By the time
the developer came back to the town with the requirement, there was enough
turnover in the planning board that his development wouldn't be approved by
the present board. They refused to remove the requirement, and refused to
approve a new plan. He ended up going to superior court to have the
requirement removed. The whole thing was political, but I could picture
something similar happening when the anti-airport activists get the local
police caught up in their fight. The neighbors call the cops claiming the
airplanes are being operated by people without 'licenses'.

The cop asks for your license, and you produce your certificate. The
neighbor tells the cop "That's not a license, it's a certificate'". What
does the cop do?

I agree with you that it is a de facto license, however it is not a de jure
license.

Old April 27th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

Where is that definition written?

In dictionaries.

The cop asks for your license, and you produce your certificate. The
neighbor tells the cop "That's not a license, it's a certificate'". What
does the cop do?

Examines the license you produced and tells the neighbor to move along.

I agree with you that it is a de facto license, however it is not a de
jure license.

It is both.

Old April 27th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....ID=7454&DID=19

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old April 27th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

I agree with you that it is a de facto license, however it is not a de
jure license.

It is both.

I disagree. I'll leave it at that.