goggles

Old January 5th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

Default goggles

On Jan 5, 7:47*am, "Blueskies" wrote:

Thanks for the story, but gotta ask, what is a system wide positive space pass? Does it mean you can hop a flight and
not be on standby?

Yup
Old January 5th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"F. Baum" wrote in
:

On Jan 4, 7:56*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

It's had to have happened. I remember reading an account of a 172, I
think

,
back when FLYING talked about airplanes. They hit a bird over long
island and lost the windscreen. They were unable to hold altitude and
the doors both popped open. They spent an unnecessary amount of time
trying to close

them until realising that they were probably better open. they got
down ok

,
anyway.

The situation I had was kinda interesting. I was going from LAX to SLC
one night and we had just passed over LAS at 370. I had forgotten to
put the #2 radio to guard (Company policy after 9-11) noticed my
mistake and switched over . About two minutes later some young
gentleman screamed "Mayday" 3 times over 121.5 and I just about jumped
out of my socks. I have heard many pilots and crews declare
emergencies (And declared several myself), but never "Mayday". I
listened for a few and nobody answered, so I jumped in. The guy was
pretty worked up and he had a ton of backround noise. After 5 or six
transmisions back and forth he calmed down a bit and was able to
explain that he was lost somewhere East of Reno and the windscreen had
blown out and he was flying the plane ducked below the instrument
panel (Keep in mind this was middle of winter at night over the desert
with scattered snow showers in the area). I relayed this to LA Center
and the first thing they ask was "where is he", to which I had to say
we dont know. I spent the next ten minutes or so relaying for LA to
detemine his position and LA enlisted the help of Fallon who was able
to get a approximate fix from his transmissions. We were handed over
to Salt Lake and didnt find out what happened till we were on downwind
and the approach controller said "LA wanted to let you know they were
finally able to locate the plane and vector them to LCC where they
landed safely, and thanks". I found out later that they were met by
ambulences and they spent time in the hospital for hypothermia (SP?).
There were 3 people and the poor guy in the back seat was by far the
worst off.
What was cool about this (Other than everyone making it through) was
that LA Center emailed my companys HQ about what happend , and they
forwarded the email to my CPO and he put a letter in my file, the good
kind of course, and gave me two system wide positive space passes.
Other than this and a couple of bird strike stories, I had never heard
of a windscreen just poping out.

Well, th ecub incident I mentioned earlier was one a bit like that,
though I only lost the very top part of the screen and most of the
greenhouse. The screen had several cracks in it all stop drilled and a
huge number of screws with large washers.
Your story does make a good case for the goggles though!

Brtie
Old January 6th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 3, 9:03*pm, Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:23:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:
For you open cockpit flyers: what are the RIGHT goggles to get?

Having flown almost exclusively in open cockpits for the past 20+ years, I know
a bit about them ...
Ron Wanttaja

Hey, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Looks like the tip of your nose might have been a bit cold in that
pic