Sports class tasking

Old April 24th 05, 08:20 PM
Andy Blackburn

At 16:00 24 April 2005, John Sinclair wrote:
Me again Andy,
Just got out of the hot-tub and came up with the proper
reply.........................There's a difference
between an unnecessary risk in the finish gate and
a necessary challenge in picking a champion.
:) JJ

Just twisting your tail JJ (hard to do in that Genesis
- no tail boom).

I do find the TAT and MAT formats present unique challenges
around picking the best line - particularly in uneven
weather. The AST gives you no such decisions. My memorable
AST choices always seem to involve things like proximity
to thunderstorms, big blue holes and unlandable terrain.
Those are certainly good tests of skill and judgement
- just different.

I think it's good to have choices in tasking. Charlie
has been great about matching the course to the day
so I'm confident Parowan will have good tests of all
the skill catagories.

As I recall, most of the days at Parowan last year
had the threat of OD, so if you reserved the 2-turn
MAT for days with no OD potential you wouldn't get
much chance to use it - probably the right choice.

Remind me, I don't think the current MAT rules allow
for restricting the number of turnpoints below 11 do
they?

9B

Old April 24th 05, 09:32 PM
John Sinclair

Remind me, I don't think the current MAT rules allow
for restricting the number of turnpoints below 11 do
they?

Oh, yeah;

10.3.2.2.2 The CD may designate from zero to 11 turnpoints.

10.3.2.2.4 The CD may restrict:

+ The maximum number of turnpoints to a number less
than the normal maximum of 11.

I agree that Charlie is a master at wringing the most
out of every day. He also will test (challenge) the
winner to prove he is the best. I expect to see the
meaner side of Charlie at Parowan this year, because
it is a nationals. last year it was a regionals. Looking
forward to a real fun time.
JJ

Old April 25th 05, 01:32 PM

JJ
Also note that CD can make it so no turnpoint may be repeated. This
should force pilots to use the task area to a greater extent. They
might even have to THINK about how to use up turnpoints.
With all these options, there is no reason for boring trivial tasks.
Put the bug in the CD's ear to use some of these options.
THEN watch the guys with less experience than you cry. Should be fun to
watch.
UH