A Q (another) only a non-aviator can ask :)

Old November 19th 04, 12:17 PM
Ramapriya

Default A Q (another) only a non-aviator can ask :)

Is it possible to land without using the flaps at all? Just a
combination of the throttle (forward thrust too, perhaps?), elevator
and ailerons...

I know this will sound like a shocker but I'd appreciate a definitive
NO, so that at least one doubt is bedded

Ramapriya

Old November 19th 04, 01:00 PM
Jay Honeck

Is it possible to land without using the flaps at all? Just a
combination of the throttle (forward thrust too, perhaps?), elevator
and ailerons...

I know this will sound like a shocker but I'd appreciate a definitive
NO, so that at least one doubt is bedded

Sorry, but the answer is an easy "yes"...

In fact, every student practices no-flap landings as part of basic flight
training.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 19th 04, 03:21 PM
Maule Driver

Sometimes it's best to land without flaps.

In my particular a/c, landings with *negative* flaps are advised. You don't
want to go there.

om...

Old November 19th 04, 03:32 PM
Bill Denton

I've seen "negative flaps" mentioned on spec sheets before.

A guess would be flaps extending upward and killing lift necessitated by the
STOL nature of the aircraft.

Am I even close?

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
m...
Sometimes it's best to land without flaps.

In my particular a/c, landings with *negative* flaps are advised. You

don't
want to go there.

om...

Old November 19th 04, 03:35 PM
OtisWinslow

Interesting. I thought this was more of a cruise thing. May I open
the can of worms and ask why?

Old November 19th 04, 03:56 PM
Scott Skylane

OtisWinslow wrote:
Interesting. I thought this was more of a cruise thing. May I open
the can of worms and ask why?

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
m...

Sometimes it's best to land without flaps.

In my particular a/c, landings with *negative* flaps are advised. You
don't
want to go there.

He meant to say "landings with negative flaps are *not* advised"

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old November 19th 04, 05:31 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ramapriya wrote:

Is it possible to land without using the flaps at all? Just a
combination of the throttle (forward thrust too, perhaps?), elevator
and ailerons...

Yes. The plane touches down at a higher rate of speed and, consequently, takes
more runway to stop. In my aircraft, for example, I will touch down at about 60
mph with 0 degrees of flaps and 45 mph with 40 degrees of flaps.

Some airliners would risk tire failure if they landed without flaps.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old November 19th 04, 05:40 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Bill Denton wrote:

I've seen "negative flaps" mentioned on spec sheets before.

A guess would be flaps extending upward and killing lift necessitated by the
STOL nature of the aircraft.

Am I even close?

Yes and no. Yes, the flaps extend upwards. No, it doesn't have anything to do
with STOL. It's used to reduce drag and increase the cruise speed. I've found
that it is counterproductive above a certain altitude (somewhere around 8,000').
When -7 results in a nose-high attitude, I go back to 0 degrees. I don't often
get that high.

As far as using them for landing is concerned, it allows the pilot to
"three-point" the aircraft at a higher rate of speed. This gives you better
directional control during crosswind landings. Note that the "three-point"
landing under those circumstances is actually a two-point landing, but the
points are the tailwheel and the upwind main.

Old November 19th 04, 05:41 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Scott Skylane wrote:

He meant to say "landings with negative flaps are *not* advised"

No, Maule advises that landing with negative flaps is advised in strong
crosswinds.