What would you pay?

Old December 12th 05, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What would you pay?

Cause if we wanted cheap hangars, we'd have to live in some place like Iowa.

(Good comeback George!)

You could also come to Shell Lake WI (SSQ) where we have a wonderful
hard surface municipal airport with lites and instrument approaches,
and where the city and the airport manager (me) would be happy to have
aircraft owners build more private hangars @ 12 cents per sq ft per
year rent on the projected floor space area. Right now we have 11
hangars and about 13 aircraft based there - and even some hangar space
available. Tiedowns are free on the ramp for short stays. All aircaft
based there are hangared.

There is a WI personal property tax that typically runs $300 to $400
per year for a solid hangar. Like several other pilots I live across
the street from the airport & have lakeshore if I walk out the other
door. The lake is large (2500 acres), clean and deep (40 ft), and we
now have our previous flood situation under control. The city has many
other unrelated amenities.

Only downsides are no fuel (12 mi away) and no FBO, but there's no
corrosion & plenty of problem-solving local networking (and plenty of
winter too!).

Old December 12th 05, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

George Patterson wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

So why, again, do you choose to live where hangars are unaffordable?

'Cause if we wanted cheap hangars, we'd have to live in some place like
Iowa.

Yeah, that'd be a hell of a step down from New Jersey.
Old December 12th 05, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

Yes. Many of us would do this in a heartbeat, if the city would allow it.

Alas, they still would rather build and own the hangars, and lease them.
I'm sure it's for the same old "how can we ever close this airport if pilots
own the hangars" reasons...

:-(

Thats interesting...

I too am in a city hangar, but they are literally the Taj Mahal of
T-hangars.. They have two 20 amp feeds in the older ones, and the newer
ones have single 20 amp feeds. Sodium lamps over the main bay,
florescent lighting over the personnel door. Each of the small T hangars
(V-shaped, really) are able to hold a high and low wing easily or even a
corporate aircraft each. The LARGE ones.. well.. we have 3 Mig 21's in
one, a Huey and 2 Hillers in another, and one had 2 Longs, A cozy, A
cirrus and a cabin twin shoehorned in it. Gas heating for freeze
protection. No power meters. Its "behind the fence" and there is
security on-site 24-7 because of the military and NASA presence. On-site
CFR too, and several CAT 1 ILS runways. We pay about $400 for the small
ones and about $800 for the big ones a month.

BUT... Houston really doesnt want to be in the hangar business, believe
it or not, and they would prefer to issue a long term lease with
conditions. In Houston's case, there is a requirement for continuous
improvement over time, and the improvements become part of the lot.

I can not imagine why the city there would not want to be able to simply
lease the land, collect their money and not have to do anything more
than ensure code compliance. Not have to screen tenants (the hangar
builders can do that), issue keys, replace lightbulbs and so forth.

So, Jay... I guess the city wouldn't let you put a ramp adjacent to the
Hotel and allow you to have planes park there? Or perhaps allow you to
become some sort of competing FBO?

Dave

Old December 12th 05, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

So, Jay... I guess the city wouldn't let you put a ramp adjacent to the
Hotel and allow you to have planes park there? Or perhaps allow you to
become some sort of competing FBO?

When Rwy 36 closes (next year?), we hope to get permission to let people
park at the end nearest us. Otherwise, building a ramp would be
prohibitively expensive. (They don't just let you pour a slab of concrete
anymore, you know. EPA, DOT, etc. all get involved with their "impact
statements"...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"N93332" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
New hangars came available at the airport I fly out of and I
bought two. The rent on one pays for the annual costs for both. 39 T
hangars sold in in about two weeks.

How does that work, Dave? Is this a private airport, or municipal?

Our airport has talked about selling hangars to tenants, but it always
gets swept aside as being unworkable.

I've seen a few places that have privately owned hangars on
municipal/public airports. Check out Morningstar in Des Moines sometime.
When I had my plane at Sleepy Eye (y58), I rented one of the three spots
in a hangar from the hangar owner. He also offered to sell me a third of
the hangar. I didn't buy it; I'm now 60+ miles from there.

-Greg B.

Here in El Dorado AR (ELD) all the hangers are privately owned on leased
land. The lease is about $500/yr on the land the hanger cost about 25K to
build.

www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

Old December 12th 05, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Here in El Dorado AR (ELD) all the hangers are privately owned on leased
land. The lease is about $500/yr on the land the hanger cost about 25K to
build.

Same here in Billings. To build a 60x60, which is the smallest you are
allowed, will run you $90K.