Call to HP14 owners

Old August 6th 18, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Call to HP14 owners

I am looking at the same job as Ulrich in having to strip wings and fuselage. Instead of stripping I am looking at using my soda blaster as it will strip the paint while hopefully not remove the underlying contouring which appears to be still good.

I have used the soda blaster before for the gentle non destructive stripping of many aluminum parts but not on parts with bondo/microballon bases, anyone here have any experience in this?
Dan
Old August 6th 18, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, 6 August 2018 06:13:44 UTC-7, wrote:
I am looking at the same job as Ulrich in having to strip wings and fuselage. Instead of stripping I am looking at using my soda blaster as it will strip the paint while hopefully not remove the underlying contouring which appears to be still good.

I have used the soda blaster before for the gentle non destructive stripping of many aluminum parts but not on parts with bondo/microballon bases, anyone here have any experience in this?
Dan

I looked into soda blasting ,too , for the same reason not to remove any bondo. But have no experience with either methode . My friends in my German gliding club say there stripper don't remove bondo and just a week ago I met here in Whitehorse somebody who repainted DC 3 s and he confirmed that . He said if it would weaken the bondo you simply put a layer of epoxy paint over that aerea in question before repainting . Also I don't think on my wings is a lot of bondo other than over the rivets . About soda blasting I heared it is a very slow process and you use a lot of soda ?
Old August 6th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 4:49:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi Uli I have a request in to join the yahoo hp group but waiting on administators approval. My bird is sn77 built in 1969. She spent most of her life in the Tehachapi/So CA area. She needs an extensive clean up/refurbishing but appears to be mechanically sound.

I've alerted the current owner of the HP-Gliders Yahoo Group. I have some admin privileges on that group, but unfortunately approving new members isn't one of them.

--Bob K.
Old August 6th 18, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Bob,
I'm into the group and already digesting tons of valuable info reading the posts.
Thanks
Dan
Old August 6th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 12:45:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Hallo Ulrich

could that be an alternative to soda-blasting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDQP1XA2_4&t=4s
Not sure where one would get one of these flash lamps but it sure looks like a cool process for metal gliders.

Uli
'AS'
Old August 7th 18, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, 6 August 2018 11:31:49 UTC-7, AS wrote:
[...]

It probably is but looks like complicated to set up to me.
Old August 7th 18, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

Looks like a fun way to get skin cancer!

HP14 [email protected] Soaring 16 January 26th 17 10:23 PM
Beech Duke Owners/ex-Owners ple help... Stanley Owning 12 June 10th 16 12:36 AM
DG-300/303 owners... Alan Montague Soaring 48 April 22nd 07 01:58 AM
DG-300/303 owners... Alan Montague Soaring 0 April 16th 07 05:37 PM
Call to all SA Trailer owners (US Make) [email protected] Soaring 0 December 16th 06 06:37 AM