Can You Name an "Aircraft-Accessible" Aviation Museum?

Old January 7th 04, 12:53 AM
Caleb

The CAFÉ museum at Galveston and the Museum at Midland are both accessible.
I like the on in Galveston better, but the one in Midland has more made up
exhibits.

Cheers
Jeff
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
In another post about the fabulous new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the
National Air & Space Museum), frustration with not being able to fly into
this terrific new facility was evident. I personally find it appallingly
ironic that museums which purport to glorify flight are not accessible by
aircraft, despite being located on an airport.

Which brings to the fore a question: How many aviation museums really ARE
accessible by light plane? I know, for example, that my two favorite
museums (the Air Force Museum in Ohio, and the Strategic Air Command

Museum
in Nebraska) are NOT accessible by aircraft.

So here's my contributions to this heroic list. Let's hear it for museum
directors who have sense enough to make their airplanes viewable by those

of
us who might actually fly in!

1. Rantoul, Illinois. The Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum You can taxi
right up to this one, and park just a few dozen feet away from an F-14
Tomcat. (Sadly, when we were there last month they had the back door
locked, so we had to walk around to the front of the building. This is a
giant hangar, so that was no small feat, with kids in tow...)
See it at: http://www.aeromuseum.org/

2. Topeka, Kansas. Combat Air Museum. Ditto above. Another great museum
located on the old Forbes Field air base.
See it at http://www.combatairmuseum.org/

3. Greenfield Iowa. Iowa Aviation Museum and Hall of Fame. Small, but

very
good.
See it at http://www.flyingmuseum.com/

4. Ottumwa, Iowa. Airpower Museum and Antique Aircraft Association. This
is on a small, private, grass strip which is home to the most amazing

annual
fly-in every summer. Call ahead for permission to land.
See it at http://www.aaa-apm.org/ .

5. Oshkosh, WI. EAA Airventure Museum. This one is only "sort of"
accessible by air. When I flew in during the winter in '95, I had to park
on the opposite side of the airport (miles away) at Basler, and they drove
us over to the museum.
See it at http://www.airventuremuseum.org/.

Can you add any more to this list?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 7th 04, 12:53 AM
Errol Groff

The Shuttleworth Trust Museum, Biggleswade UK.

Grass runway as I recall but it has been at least 15 years since I was
there.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:32:10 GMT, "James Blakely"
wrote:

The Warbird Museum in Titusville, FL is accessible from GA.

Old January 7th 04, 12:54 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:57:50 -0800, "Rich S."
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Can you add any more to this list?

Good project for this summer!

I did fly to the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field to attend an event, but
there was no parking that day due to a couple of biplanes hawking rides. I
seem to remember that aircraft parking is available on non-event days but
only with prior notice.

I will check out the Warbird museum at Olympia, Wa. and report back.

Dittos with McMinnville, Ore. and the Spruce Goose, but I expect Ousterhout
or Springer will report in before I do.

Rich S.

Museum of Flight at BFI no longer allows general parking on their ramp
(or so the individual on the phone told me during the 100 years of
flight centennial event).

I've parked at the Warbird Museum in Olympia but it was during a
"Classic Aircraft Fly-In". I don't know if they allow parking on
their ramp when such an event is not underway....

At McMinnville, the museum is across the street from the airport.
You can park where ever you want (within reason) on the airport
and it's a relatively easy walk to the museum.

Bela P. Havasreti
Old January 7th 04, 01:00 AM
B25flyer

Can you add any more to this list?

The Florida Air Museum on the S&F site. Open and accessible to all....except
one person. Taxi to the NW entrance to the site and you can taxi up to the S&F
office. Easy walk to the museum and the gift shop.

Walt
Old January 7th 04, 01:03 AM
Dave S

The Lone Star Flight Museum is on the flight line at Galveston (GLS). Im
not sure if access is permitted from the line, but even if its not, the
walk is reasonable in my opinion, even with kids.

Also, I believe there is some sort of Museum at Addison, Texas in the
DFW area (ADS). It is a short walk (again even with kids).

The Confederate Air Force Museum at Midland Airfield, Midland, Texas, is
NOT directly accessible (to the public) from the line, but the FBO has a
courtesy car they can lend you.

I guess you are right, most of these places dont have turnstiles at the
hangar door, but rather are focused on getting the lay public interested
in aviation, and have therefore put the turnstiles on THAT side of the
building

Dave.

Old January 7th 04, 01:11 AM
Jim Austin

Jay Honeck wrote:
Can you add any more to this list?

Check this one out, I taxied right up to the front door and enjoyed the
visit:

http://www.tnairmuseum.com/index2.html

Jim Austin
Easley, SC

Old January 7th 04, 01:19 AM
Mike Weller

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:01:09 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Can you add any more to this list?

The Staggerwing Museum at Tullahoma, Tennessee (THA).

Mike Weller

Old January 7th 04, 01:22 AM
John Stricker

Don't forget the Mid America Air Museum in Liberal, KS. It has about 100
aircraft in it and on the ramp and is located on the airport at Liberal.
One of Max Conrad's record breaking Comanches is on display there.

John Stricker

"MC" wrote in message
[...]

Kansas City, MO (MKC) Airline History Museum
http://www.airlinehistorymuseum.com/

Old January 7th 04, 01:23 AM
Remi

How about the Mid-America Air Museum in Liberal, KS?
http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueON99/liberal.html

Remi
Overland Park, KS

Old January 7th 04, 01:35 AM
Ross

You can taxi over to the Canadian National Aviation Museum and park out at
the back, they will then come and open a back door and escort you to the
front to purchase your entrance ticket. Only problem is that there is no
instrument approach.

There is also the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton where you
can taxi up and park on the museum ramp. If you visit the museum they will
also waive the landing fees.

Ross
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
Which brings to the fore a question: How many aviation museums really

ARE
accessible by light plane? I know, for example, that my two favorite

The National Warplane Museum is right next door to the FBO at Elmira.
However, considering how much financial trouble they appeared to be in
last time I looked, I wouldn't bet on them still being in business next
time you fly there.

The Canadian National Aviation Museum
http://www.aviation.nmstc.ca/eng/english_home.html
is at Rockcliffe Airport in Ottawa, and it appears you can taxi over, but
I've never tried it.

--
"The magic of usenet has never been its technology; and, only in part, its
reach. Its magic -- its power -- is based on the very real human

connections
that form 'round its threads of conversation... the relationships that are
kindled, flamed and, on occasion, extinguished and mourned." -deCadmus