100th anniversary of the tug!

Old December 17th 03, 06:58 AM
tango4

Default 100th anniversary of the tug!

Just think if the Wrights hadn't got it right 100 years ago today we'd all
still be stuck with winch launches.
:-)

Cool logo on google.com today

Ian

Old December 17th 03, 05:13 PM
Jim Buckridge

"tango4" wrote in message ...
Just think if the Wrights hadn't got it right 100 years ago today we'd all
still be stuck with winch launches.
:-)

Cool logo on google.com today

Ian

Also a cool picture (and writeup) in NJ's "major" paper, The Star
Ledger.

Article:

http://www.nj.com/living/ledger/inde...5189227180.xml

Photo:

http://www.nj.com/photos/ledgerphotos/

Click on "See Thumbnails" under December 17, 2003 then click on the
photo for an enlargement.

The paper had a camera mounted on the wing strut.

If you follow the tow rope from the plane, you can find Somerset
Airport (look along the right edge of the photo about 1/2 way down).
Old December 17th 03, 09:54 PM
Ivan Kahn

"tango4" wrote in message
Just think if the Wrights hadn't got it right 100 years ago today we'd all
still be stuck with winch launches.
:-)

Cool logo on google.com today

Ian

Wasn't the first flight on the 17th a "winch launch?" ;-)

Ivan

Old December 18th 03, 06:21 AM
Jack

On 2003/12/17 11:13, in article
, "Jim Buckridge"
wrote:

...a cool picture (and writeup) in NJ's "major" paper, The Star
Ledger.

Article:

http://www.nj.com/living/ledger/inde...5189227180.xml

Photo:

http://www.nj.com/photos/ledgerphotos/

Click on "See Thumbnails" under December 17, 2003 then click on the
photo for an enlargement.

Photo legend:

"...the tow plane, a Piper Pawnee which was originally used as a
crop duster,...peels off after releasing a Schweitzer 2-33...."

Looks like a technique which varies a bit from that recommended, since the
2-33 is still wings level behind the tug. I'd rather see the 2-33 do his
standard right climbing turn before I fling the faithful tug to the left.
That way I know the 2-33 is definitely disconnected.

I doubt they are that close to a ridge line on their right wing from the
looks of the background.

Maybe the tug-driver has the pair right at the cloud clearance limit for an
unseen cloud off to the right, or some airspace to be avoided lies only a
few meters to their right -- yeah, that's got to be it.

Jack

Old December 18th 03, 11:21 AM
Vaughn

"Jack" wrote in message
On 2003/12/17 11:13, in article
Maybe the tug-driver has the pair right at the cloud clearance limit for

an
unseen cloud off to the right, or some airspace to be avoided lies only a
few meters to their right -- yeah, that's got to be it.

...or perhaps they just wanted a picture of a tow plane "peeling off"
after releasing a glider.

Vaughn

Jack