A glorious flight - Just add Music!

Old February 17th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A glorious flight - Just add Music!

I'm not really a music person. I'd just as soon listen to talk radio,
sports, or whatever on the car radio as listen to music.

That said, I just purchased an el-cheapo MP3 player to use when flying,
jogging, cycling, etc. ($65 delivered, via EBAY) It plugs into my PS
intercom system with a simple patch cord, and came with an arm band,
earbuds, etc. for non-aviation use. It even has an FM receiver, so when I
get tired of the songs on my playlist, I have other options.

Anyway, today was the first time I used it in-flight. Really, really nice
for adding some background music to a solo early-evening flight. Little
Wing by Derek and the Domino's seemed particularly appropriate this evening,
as did the Battle of Britain soundtrack.

One caveat on MP3 players for aviation use. Don't get one that relies on a
hard drive for memory. Hard drives are not designed to work at over 10k
feet, and use at altitude may greatly speed a hard drives demise.

Anyway, a neat addition to my collection of things which make flying even
more enjoyable...

Old February 18th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You can also load your MP3 player with audio book readings.
Old February 20th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Fry wrote:

You can also load your MP3 player with audio book readings.

More power to you if you can concentrate on a flight while listening to
audio books.

I once made the mistake of listening to stand-up comedy while flying and
discovered that it took too many brain cycles to listen to the comedy. So
distracting, this was, that I missed two ATC calls. Back to background
Jazz for me.

--
Peter
Old February 20th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've been flying with an IPOD for some time. When the mood and flight
is right, I hook it up and enjoy.

Have to say that XM Sat beats it cold. Since installing my Garmin w/XM
Weather, the music from that is just great. Music, or talk, or
whatever. No decision about when to hook up or what playlist to have
loaded. Just turn on and choose from the many channels.... 70s is my
current thing.

Now if I can just my engine back in the ol' ship.

Old February 21st 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Have to say that XM Sat beats it cold. Since installing my Garmin w/XM
Weather, the music from that is just great. Music, or talk, or whatever.
No decision about when to hook up or what playlist to have loaded. Just
turn on and choose from the many channels.... 70s is my current thing.

I wonder what's going to happen to XM after losing money in a big way for so
long? It was just in the papers that their upper management is starting
to flee the sinking ship, and taking pot shots over their shoulders...?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 21st 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I was thinking about flying with an IPOD, but I heard there are problems with
the hard drive at high altitude. I talking C172 high altitude not B-52 high
altitude. Have you had any problems or heard of any problem with the IPOD at
altitude? I know that some of the AWACS crews members use IPOD's on they flight.
They stick the ear-buds under they headsets. But they cabins are pressurized.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:50:47 GMT, Maule Driver wrote:

I've been flying with an IPOD for some time. When the mood and flight
is right, I hook it up and enjoy.

GeorgeC
Old February 21st 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article , GeorgeC
wrote:

I was thinking about flying with an IPOD, but I heard there are problems with
the hard drive at high altitude. I talking C172 high altitude not B-52 high
altitude. Have you had any problems or heard of any problem with the IPOD at
altitude?

The iPods list their maximum operating altitude as 10,000 feet.
(That's cabin altitude, which will normally be that or less in a
pressurized airplane.) So just keep it 10 and below, and you should
be fine in the 172.

I have heard of issues -- I read of one fellow who killed two of them
in a turbo, non-pressurized airplane. In both cases, the hard drives
were destroyed, and in one of them, the whole shell of the iPod popped
open. That's when he realized what was happening.

The problem is basically that the hard drive heads are riding on a
microscopic layer of air. Thin the air out too much, and the heads
crash right onto the platter. Whoops.

You should be fine in the 172 as long as you don't go all the way up.

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI
Old February 21st 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Have to say that XM Sat beats it cold. Since installing my Garmin w/XM
Weather, the music from that is just great. Music, or talk, or whatever.
No decision about when to hook up or what playlist to have loaded. Just
turn on and choose from the many channels.... 70s is my current thing.

I wonder what's going to happen to XM after losing money in a big way for
so long? It was just in the papers that their upper management is
starting to flee the sinking ship, and taking pot shots over their
shoulders...?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Not really management. One Board member bailed. The company along with the
competition spent a bunch of cash in the 4th quarter on advertising and new
Talent. (Oprah).

The competition did the same thing only they contracted to pay Howard Stern
half a Billion dollars.

Old February 21st 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Have to say that XM Sat beats it cold. Since installing my Garmin w/XM
Weather, the music from that is just great. Music, or talk, or whatever.
No decision about when to hook up or what playlist to have loaded. Just
turn on and choose from the many channels.... 70s is my current thing.

I wonder what's going to happen to XM after losing money in a big way for so
long? It was just in the papers that their upper management is starting
to flee the sinking ship, and taking pot shots over their shoulders...?

Normal course of business. One guy has left. Profitability expected
by the end of this year.