Sectional Usage Poll

Old December 21st 04, 08:30 PM
Jon Wanzer

I keep it north up. I have been using maps (topo, av, naut, etc.) for
over 25 years so I visualize my position and heading over the physical
map. Some people have dificulty with "mental orientation", I do not.

Jon Wanzer
CP ASEL / IA
AGI IGI (CFI / CFII soon-to-be)
San Jose, CA

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:33:50 -0800, "Daniel L. Lieberman"
wrote:

I have been advised that some people when using a sectional always hold it
with North up even when they are flying South rather than orienting it along
their flight path. This is an option on moving map GPS systems.

Do you a) keep North up or b) orient the map in the direction in which you
are flying?

TIA

Old December 21st 04, 08:32 PM
Jay Beckman

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote in message
I have been advised that some people when using a sectional always hold it
with North up even when they are flying South rather than orienting it
along their flight path. This is an option on moving map GPS systems.

Do you a) keep North up or b) orient the map in the direction in which you
are flying?

TIA

TAC - North Up (I know the local area)
Sectional - Both (Direction Up Enroute, North Up Over Checkpoints)
GPS - CDI Mode
Moving Map - Direction Up

Still new enough that I haven't settled on the best way to do some things...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old December 21st 04, 08:37 PM
AJW

North up makes graphics, text, and numbers easier to read. You'll find as you
advance to instrument training you'll keep your approach plates north up, also.
Old December 21st 04, 08:46 PM
Bob Gardner

Because approach plates have courses printed on them.

Bob Gardner

"Hilton" wrote in message
ink.net...
Sectional and GPS: North up

For the pilot who use Track Up, do you turn your approach charts too? I'm
guessing not, but just trying to understand why (or why not).

Hilton

Old December 21st 04, 08:55 PM
Jon Wanzer

My wife and I have discussed this matter at length, you are quite
right about the generality. ( I am however quite wrong, my wife points
out)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:19:14 GMT, "ShawnD2112"
wrote:

In the interest of opening my own fuel vessel and passing out the matches,
I'll offer that a book I read addresses this issue specifically from a
gender perspective. The research showed that men will typically orient
north up and do the mental gymnastics in their heads - the male brain is
built such that this is a strength. Women's brains are apparently wired
differently and don't cope with the 3-D spatial analysis as well and so they
will typically orient along the track and turn the map every which way,
keeping the left on the left and so on.

Jon Wanzer
CP ASEL / IA
AGI IGI (CFI / CFII soon-to-be)
San Jose,CA
Old December 21st 04, 09:20 PM
Judah

Track up. I have more important things to focus on in flight than whether
I'm supposed to turn left or right.

Of course the correlary is that I am way-to-often telling tower that I am
15 miles West when I am really 15 miles East and vice versa...

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote in
:

Old December 21st 04, 09:24 PM
Dudley Henriques

I've always been an "oriented to the flight path" kind of guy. I have no
problem reading things upside down, in fact, when I would arrive to do
an airshow somewhere, if there were a gang of us waiting to check in to
the motel or hotel at the same time, I used to get everybody laughing
like hell by signing my name on the register upside down and backwards
so the clerk could read it normally. It got to be kind of an "event"
where the guys would actually wait around to see it happen :-)) For the
sectionals; I like things to be where they should be appearing if flying
VFR. The "north people" are fine doing it their way as well. I think
it's just a matter of personal preference really.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for email; take out the trash

Old December 21st 04, 09:31 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Sectional: North up
GPS: North up until I bought into the Archer partnership. Everyone else
likes track up, and it's a pain to reconfigure it just for me every time I
fly, so now it's track up.

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
Sectional -- North Up
[But when I'm hiking, the topo is oriented track-up]
GPS -- Track Up

Old December 21st 04, 10:01 PM
C J Campbell

I hold sectionals north up; GPS moving maps I set for north up en route and
track up for approaches, unless I have an EFIS type display, then I always
use track up.

Old December 21st 04, 10:12 PM
john smith

GPS... track up
Sectional... sometimes track, sometimes North up.
If I am flying something high performance, up high, north up works fine.
If I am flying the Champ at or below 500 feet agl through the hills amd
mountains, then I am definitely following the map in track mode.