Becoming AGI then CFII

Old September 3rd 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B[_2_]

Default Becoming AGI then CFII

Bob Moore wrote:
B wrote

No, you said they are not instrument flight instructors. That is wrong,
they are instrument flight instructors.

They are Flight Instructors with an Instrument-Airplane rating.
I defy you to show me where the FAA refers to them as Instrument
Flight Instructors. (IFI??)

Bob Moore
Posting under my REAL name

It's a term of art, Bob, just like "ATR."
Old September 4th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ronnie

Chip,

If you wish to become a Flight Instructor with Instrument Airplane
rating, you need to take the Fundamentals of Instructing knowledge
test, commonly referred to as the "FOI", or have credit based on
already holding an instructor certificate (either flight or ground).

In addition, you need to pass the Flight Instructor Instrument Airplane
knowledge exam. The subject matter for this knowledge is the same
as for the Instrument Airplane and Instrument Ground Instructor knowledge
exams, but you get no credit for having taken either of the other exams.

I took the IGI, IA, and flight instructor IA exam one right after the other
on the same day. Studied the matertial and knocked them all out with one
visit to the testing center, but each was counted as a seperate exam.

Once you have the FOI and IGI knowledge tests, you can visit the local
FSDO and get the Instrument Ground Instructor Certificate.

The FAA has issued a Flight Instructor with Instrument Airplane rating
as an inital flight instructor certificate. The instructor I used for my
instrument
airplane rating held this flight instructor certificate and rating. He
never did
add any other ratings to his flight instructor certificate. He could
prepare
and sign-off a candidate for an instument rating practical test, but could
not
make the various endorsements required for a stundent pilot, commercial
pilot,
etc, etc.

Ronnie

"Chip H., III" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. If I want to become an AGI and then a CFII, do I really have to
take these 5 exams:

1) Fundamentals of Instructing
2) Ground Instructor Instrument
3) Ground Instructor Advanced
4) Flight Instructor Instrument Airplane
5) Flight Instructor Airplane

I understand that your AGI ticket covers your FOI for the CFII ride,
but do the Ground Instructor Instrument/Advanced tests not cover your
for Flight Instructor Airplane and Instrument Airplane? My
understanding is it's mostly the same material, so worst case you're
just taking duping tests somewhat, right? But do I have to pay $80 *
5 = $400 for what's really 3 tests? And is there any time limit on
the validity of the knowledge exams like the 24 month limit for
Private/Commercial?

I was hoping I could take #1-#3 and then use my AGI ticket to cover
all the knowledge exams on the CFII checkride but it appears now.

If you're wondering why bother with AGI when I'm shooting for my CFII,
I like the idea that it never expires.

Any tips appreciated -- thanks!