Flying and Nasal Passages

Old December 5th 03, 04:37 PM
Judah

Default Flying and Nasal Passages

OK... You guys are all going to think I'm trolling now, but...

Generally, when flying, my nasal passages get unusually dry and I blow some
things out of my nose that are really big, bold, and not very beautiful...
It's fairly uncomfortable, and it happens both on airlines and in
unpressurized GA planes (Cessna 172). It usually starts within an hour of
takeoff (but sometimes later, sometimes even after I am on the ground), and
lasts up to 24 hours...

Anyone else out there have this problem? Any thoughts as to how to
alleviate it?

Old December 5th 03, 09:08 PM
Pete

I fly to clear my head, seems it's working better in your aircraft

Seriously, I agree with Jim... Saline spray is good for moisturizing, but if
you're blowing chunks. Sounds to me as if you have allergys and flying is
clearing it up. When I fly I always feel like I'm breathing easier. You
might talk to an Ear, Nose and throat doc, if it really bothers you.

Old December 5th 03, 09:41 PM
Jim

I have allergies and usually the problem starts for me when my sinuses get
swollen. Then the natural hystamines kick in and the drainage and
congestion starts. Affrin shrinks my sinus tissues and keeps my head clear
without taking any over the counter or prescription meds that may limit my
abilities. I wonder if the decreased air pressure on your sinus tissues
when you fly is causing some other wise unseen reactions.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old December 6th 03, 11:33 AM
Bushy

And I'm going to be just as disgusting in my reply!

I found that my nose builds up a range of horrible nasties also. The way I
have found that clears them is to have a good shower and use a moist cotton
bud to clean out the built up garbage inside the nose. A few good blows and
the nasty bits go straight down the drain.

Be gentle when you try it and hope it works as well for you as it does for
me. If I don't clear it each couple of days then it can build up enough to
cause me ear pain when the sinus passages blockand I have large altitude
changes.

Hope this helps,
and you didn't just have dinner,
Peter

Old December 6th 03, 02:00 PM
Robert Coffey

Ever try scuba diving? the dramatic pressure changes in your nasal
passages combined with in infusion of salt water/air will make you a new
man. You'll lose weight, feel younger, loose those bags under the
eyes, stop snoring, and breathe better than you ever have!

Old December 6th 03, 02:46 PM
Dave S

OK... THATS IT..

No more reading the newsgroup while eating my cream cheese bagel in the
morning..

Dave

Old December 6th 03, 04:08 PM
Judah

I haven't been diving yet, but my "flying mentor" who introduced me to
flying is now a PADI instructor, and is now trying to get me to dive...

I had been somewhat resistant, since I didn't have much free time for it
this summer, but if it really is the next snake oil, I might just have to
give it a whirl.

Of course, being in NY, undergoing the current blizzard, it might just be
a bit cold for that now... (Then again, I understand that it is worse in
April!)

Robert Coffey wrote in
:

Old December 24th 03, 03:24 AM
Roger Halstead

"Jeffrey Voight" wrote in message
In Somalia, bright and early every morning, you'd find troops at the
water buffalo (a trailer with drinking water) cupping their hands under
the faucet and snorting the water to try to rinse the sand/dust out and
to try to get some humidity.

*That* was a painful experience. Didn't like it a bit. Didn't like not
doing it, either.

If you add just a pinch of salt...Just enough to taste, you will no longer
feel the water.
It works just like the salt spray and other than taking a bit of getting
used to, doesn't hurt.

Of course if you over do the salt it feels like some one stuck a blow torch
up there.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Jeff...

Jim wrote:
If it's purely dryness, try a saline nasel moisturizing spray. If it's
something else try Affrin.