Is there a place for Traditional CAS in the 21st century?

Old March 14th 04, 07:53 PM
N9NWO

Thomas Schoene wrote:
N9NWO wrote:

It is thought that other systems are replaced, the 25mm
will become the primary light cannon round. Thus the Navy
CIWS (Phalanx) may migrate towards this round with newer
ships (ie DD-X).

There have been plenty of proposals for 25mm versions of Phalanx, but not
much interest from the Navy. They figure than if a maginal increase in
capability is needed, the 20mm Enhanced Lethality Cartridge could be
reinstated. It's always been reported as having the same effectiveness as a
conventional 25mm sabot round.

In general, however, the Navy is migrating to no gun-based CIWS at all.
LPD-17 has just RAM and 30mm Mk 46 turrets for small-baot defense. Unless
things change from what was shown at concept design, DD(X) will have 40mm
guns for close-in defnse, but not for anti-missile duties. If they do
change, I think the most likely swap will be to 30mm MK 46 turrets in place
of the 40mm, but still with no missile-defense role. For anti-missile
defense, it will rely on ESSM.

Currently it looks more like the Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile will
replace the CIWS:

Block I baseline 2 introduced further reliability upgrades and a muzzle
restraint to decrease dispersion. Installed on multiple non-Aegis and
Aegis ships, neither the original Phalanx Block 0 nor the subsequent
Block 1 baseline 0, 1, or 2 upgrades are integrated with a ship
self-defense system. A January 1992 Chief of Naval Operations decision
requires replacement of Phalanx with the new ESSM system in new
construction DDG ships. Though it initially appeared that DDG-79 would
be the first new construction DDG to receive Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile
in lieu of Phalanx, it now appears that, due to a slippage in the ESSM
development program, DDG-85 will be the first. The Navy plans to install
the Phalanx Block 1 baseline 2 configuration as temporary installations
on DDG-79 through 84 until ESSM is produced.

The RAM is mostly a Sidewinder missile platform.
The MK 46 Mod 1 30mm Machine Guns looks to be an
upgrade for the Mk 38 25mm (M242 Bushmaster). One
page for the LHP-17 showed the Mk 38 and not the Mk 46.

Old March 14th 04, 11:00 PM
Peter Kemp

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:42:08 GMT, "Thomas Schoene"
wrote:

In general, however, the Navy is migrating to no gun-based CIWS at all.
LPD-17 has just RAM and 30mm Mk 46 turrets for small-baot defense. Unless
things change from what was shown at concept design, DD(X) will have 40mm
guns for close-in defnse, but not for anti-missile duties. If they do
change, I think the most likely swap will be to 30mm MK 46 turrets in place
of the 40mm, but still with no missile-defense role. For anti-missile
defense, it will rely on ESSM.

What's the 40mm proposed for the DD(X)? I had assumed from the few
concept drawings they'd be using the Mk 46 turrets for commonality to
start with.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster
Old March 14th 04, 11:18 PM
Thomas Schoene

wrote:

In general, however, the Navy is migrating to no gun-based CIWS at
all. LPD-17 has just RAM and 30mm Mk 46 turrets for small-baot
defense. Unless things change from what was shown at concept
design, DD(X) will have 40mm guns for close-in defnse, but not for
anti-missile duties. If they do change, I think the most likely
swap will be to 30mm MK 46 turrets in place of the 40mm, but still
with no missile-defense role. For anti-missile defense, it will
rely on ESSM.

What's the 40mm proposed for the DD(X)? I had assumed from the few
concept drawings they'd be using the Mk 46 turrets for commonality to
start with.

Northrop Grumman bid two Bofors 40mm Mk 3. (BIW proposed three 30mm Mk 46)
In the latest pictures they're still there, sitting on top of the helo
hangar in low-RCS enclosures.

http://raytheon.com/businesses/rids/gallery/300_ddx.jpg
(very big picture)

But I will not be at all surprised to see them replaced by 30mm.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872