Learning to be a helicoper pilot

Old May 17th 05, 06:28 PM
Simon Robbins

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
AIR, you said "employed" but didn't say employed "to teach".

I said "recently qualified and earning as a part-time helicopter
instructor".

Si

Old May 17th 05, 06:56 PM
Matt Barrow

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
AIR, you said "employed" but didn't say employed "to teach".

I said "recently qualified and earning as a part-time helicopter
instructor".

That's right...except your subject and verb don't match :~)

Old May 18th 05, 04:40 AM
Steve R.

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message
"Beav" wrote in message

Well no actually and it still doesn't, but maybe I'm a TC

Perhaps I should have spelt it out fully, but to my mind being employed to
teach means being licenced to teach, and therefore CFI rated.

Si

That's how I read it, Si. :-)

With some folks, you can't make any assumptions on how they're going to
interpret things we put in print. The same tendency that had me, in this
case, reading into your post what you truly intended, has gotten me in
trouble in other conversations. You just can't take this stuff for granted!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Old May 18th 05, 03:27 PM
Matt Barrow

"Beav" wrote in message

Well no actually and it still doesn't, but maybe I'm a TC

Perhaps I should have spelt it out fully, but to my mind being employed

teach means being licenced to teach, and therefore CFI rated.

Si

That's how I read it, Si. :-)

With some folks, you can't make any assumptions on how they're going to
interpret things we put in print. The same tendency that had me, in this
case, reading into your post what you truly intended, has gotten me in
trouble in other conversations. You just can't take this stuff for

granted!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Given that the context was a newly LICENSED pilot, using a newly licensed
INSTRUCTOR was a leap.

That they were the same age (the point of Si's comment) isn't even slightly
relevant.

Old May 18th 05, 03:32 PM
Matt Barrow

"Beav" wrote in message

Well no actually and it still doesn't, but maybe I'm a TC

Perhaps I should have spelt it out fully, but to my mind being

employed
teach means being licenced to teach, and therefore CFI rated.

Si

That's how I read it, Si. :-)

With some folks, you can't make any assumptions on how they're going to
interpret things we put in print. The same tendency that had me, in

this
case, reading into your post what you truly intended, has gotten me in
trouble in other conversations. You just can't take this stuff for

granted!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Given that the context was a newly LICENSED pilot, using a newly licensed
INSTRUCTOR was a leap.

SB: INSTRUCTOR for comparison was a leap.

Old May 18th 05, 06:12 PM
Simon Robbins

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
Given that the context was a newly LICENSED pilot, using a newly licensed
INSTRUCTOR was a leap.

It's even cloudier than that. I checked the regs today. Lasors states that
even a PPL is allowed to instruct, just not receive payment. So, going back
to Steve R's post, you can legitimately log hours taught by a newly
qualified CPL or even PPL and they will count. The student just isn't
allowed to pay for it.

Si

Old May 19th 05, 12:00 AM
Steve R.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:12:03 +0100, "Simon Robbins"
wrote:

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
Given that the context was a newly LICENSED pilot, using a newly
licensed
INSTRUCTOR was a leap.

It's even cloudier than that. I checked the regs today. Lasors states that
even a PPL is allowed to instruct, just not receive payment. So, going
back
to Steve R's post, you can legitimately log hours taught by a newly
qualified CPL or even PPL and they will count. The student just isn't
allowed to pay for it.

This begs another question or two then... Do those logged hours count
towards the mins required for a license or do those hours required for
dual in the regs HAVE to be with a CFI?

Any particular age minimum before you can start logging time?? Just
curious 'cuz my 11 year old daughter is spending the afternoon at work
with me and she's in the demo helo sim terrorizing southern CA in a
206 right now.

It's been a long time since I earned my fixed wing ticket. Everything I was
taught back in 1979 said that the student had to fly with a rated CFI in
order to "log" those hours toward. Only a rated CFI could sign off a
student for solo work or x-country work, etc. So sooner or later, that
student is going to have to get with a CFI.

I know a lot of things have changed since I learned to fly in the late 70's
but I have a hard time believing that "this" change has been made. Si, even
when I was active flying, it was perfectly legal for me as a private pilot
to take you, as a non-rated individual, up and show you how to fly the
airplane. We could conceivably do this until you were completely
comfortable with take-off's, landings, turns, climbs, descents, and good
old, "straight and level." It would all be perfectly legal but the
non-rated person "would NOT" be able to log that time toward their ticket.
If you're right and in this day and time, they can?? !! :-O I'm glad I'm
not flying any more.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Old May 21st 05, 10:23 AM
Simon Robbins

"Steve R." wrote in message
I know a lot of things have changed since I learned to fly in the late

70's
but I have a hard time believing that "this" change has been made. Si,

even
when I was active flying, it was perfectly legal for me as a private pilot
to take you, as a non-rated individual, up and show you how to fly the
airplane. We could conceivably do this until you were completely
comfortable with take-off's, landings, turns, climbs, descents, and good
old, "straight and level." It would all be perfectly legal but the
non-rated person "would NOT" be able to log that time toward their ticket.
If you're right and in this day and time, they can?? !! :-O I'm glad I'm
not flying any more.

Could be that it's not changed.
Lasors states that a PPL can instruct, but elsewhere states that a CFI is
required in order to instruct towards the granting of a licence. So, it
could be that the hours can be logged (or not), but the 25(?) hours of dual
instruction required for the licence must be with a CFI. So presumably that
would allow a student to practice with a non-CFI between lessons, but still
doesn't answer whether the non-CFI hours can be logged.

Si