Microphones

Old March 10th 11, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Microphones

A Question about Boom Mics. Why are they always mounted on the right
side of the cockpit? Is there any reason for not being able to mount
them on the Left side.

Airbrakes (and flaps) are usually on the left and a boom mike could
interfere...

-paul
Old March 10th 11, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]

Am 10.03.2011 04:03, bildan wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:58 pm, wrote:
Hi All
A Question about Boom Mics. Why are they always mounted on the right
side of the cockpit? Is there any reason for not being able to mount
them on the Left side.
Thanks
Randy

I've sometimes wondered why a highly directional mike couldn't be
mounted in the instrument panel which would be completely out of
harm's way.

Actually there is someone in Germany offering such panel-mounted
microphones for 49 EUR in the classified ads on
http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/clas...lassifieds.cgi

Search for "Einbaumicro" or Ad no. 10339. I guess you also could use any
other highly directional mike from your nearest electronics supplier....

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old March 10th 11, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Stewart

At 07:04 10 March 2011, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 10.03.2011 04:03, bildan wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:58 pm, Randy wrote:
Hi All
A Question about Boom Mics. Why are they always mounted on the right
side of the cockpit? Is there any reason for not being able to mount
them on the Left side.
Thanks
Randy

I've sometimes wondered why a highly directional mike couldn't be
mounted in the instrument panel which would be completely out of
harm's way.

Actually there is someone in Germany offering such panel-mounted
microphones for 49 EUR in the classified ads on
http://www.segelflug.de/cgi-bin/clas...lassifieds.cgi

Search for "Einbaumicro" or Ad no. 10339. I guess you also could use

any
other highly directional mike from your nearest electronics supplier....

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Apart from the ergonomics I would think its historical. People wore a
sword on their left so mounted a horse from the left to prevent it
fouling. They rode on the left as it was easier to fight someone on their
right side. When it came to cars people mounted from the left to stay out
of the road. The chauffer would get in from the other side hence R/H drive
cars.

Which raises the question "why is America the opposite?

I also think it used to be considered unluckey to mount from the right!

Dave

Old March 10th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Mar 10, 6:53*am, Dave Stewart
wrote:
At 07:04 10 March 2011, Peter Scholz wrote:

Am 10.03.2011 04:03, bildan wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:58 pm, Randy *wrote:
Hi All
[...]

Dave's right. Every self-respecting horseman, motorcyclist,
bicyclist, elephant or camel driver ... gets on their steed from the
left. Everything else would feel awkward and might well invite bad
luck - although I'm not that superstitious. Don't jinx it, do not
follow the misdirected Schweizer example, they got it completely
wrong!
Herb
Old March 10th 11, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Which raises the question "why is America the opposite?

Contrariness? Bucking the trends?

Old March 10th 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Tribe[_2_]

At 12:53 10 March 2011, Dave Stewart wrote:
At 07:04 10 March 2011, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 10.03.2011 04:03, bildan wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:58 pm, Randy wrote:
Hi All
[...]

I was under the impression that R/H drive cars were that way to
improve road visibility when driving on the left.
Chauffeured denizens would usually sit in the rear, so it would
not matter which side the driver climbed in. I digress...

Certainly I was taught to enter and egress a glider from the left
also, although no explanation was give as to why this was the
case - it was just "what you did". I learnt in K21s that have
transversely hinged canopies, but the microphone is on the right
too.

A boom mic can be placed very close to your oral portal, hence requiring a
relatively low sensitivity transducer. With regard to
the directional microphones, would these not also pick up and
sound directly between the pilot and binnacle? Although the fact
that such directional transducers can be purchased suggests that
this is not an issue.

There's only one way to find out...

Old March 10th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Mar 10, 6:53*am, Dave Stewart
wrote:
At 07:04 10 March 2011, Peter Scholz wrote:

Am 10.03.2011 04:03, bildan wrote:
On Mar 9, 5:58 pm, Randy *wrote:
Hi All
[...]

We still mount motorcycles, bicycles, horses, and elephants from the
left. We have left hand drive because we drive on the right side of
the road.

Old March 10th 11, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lars Peder Hansen

I've flown with one of these panel mounted microphones in my DG-600 for
years now. Works great, no interfering sounds whatsoever, friends tell me
I'm loud & clear

Cheers,
Lars Peder

"Peter Scholz" wrote in message
Am 10.03.2011 04:03, bildan wrote:
Hi All

Old March 10th 11, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/10/2011 8:18 AM, Tony wrote:
On Mar 10, 6:53 am, Dave

Which raises the question "why is America the opposite?

I also think it used to be considered unluckey to mount from the right!

Dave

We still mount motorcycles, bicycles, horses, and elephants from the
left. We have left hand drive because we drive on the right side of
the road.

And, we also mount our cars from the left. I assume that because it's
unlucky to mount from right, as Dave points out...

email me)