Positioning of navs and strobes on the wing tip???

Old April 24th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DonMorrisey

Default Positioning of navs and strobes on the wing tip???

Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Don....

Old April 24th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"DonMorrisey" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

I believe that the nav lights are only supposed to be seen from 180 degrees
or so. At night, you should be able to determine the relative direction of an
observed plane by the pattern of lights. Certainly there is a regulation
somewhere, but if you just take a walk around the parking area at your local
small airport, you will get the idea of where they go.

Vaughn

Old April 24th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

DonMorrisey wrote:
Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Don....

http://ernest.isa-geek.org/Delta/Exp...iment_LED.html

Just a little ways down the page shows how the lights should be laid out.
Old April 24th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
DonMorrisey wrote:
Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Don....

http://ernest.isa-geek.org/Delta/Exp...iment_LED.html

Just a little ways down the page shows how the lights should be laid out.

The actual rule on this for US registered aircraft, AFAIK, is Part 23; which
is on line at:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...4cfr23_04.html The position
lighting portion begins at 23.1383

Peter

Old April 24th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michelle P

DonMorrisey wrote:
Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Don....

Visibility should be 120 degrees per position.
Left from nose counter clockwise to 120 degrees
Right from nose clockwise to 120 degrees
Rear the remaining 120. Must be visible from above and below as well. AC
43-13 or Part 23 would have the legal answer.

Michelle
Old April 25th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DonMorrisey

Thanks Peter and Ernest, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Don.

Old April 25th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

DonMorrisey wrote:
Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Don....

http://ernest.isa-geek.org/Delta/Exp...iment_LED.html

Just a little ways down the page shows how the lights should be laid out.

The actual rule on this for US registered aircraft, AFAIK, is Part 23; which
is on line at:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...4cfr23_04.html The position
lighting portion begins at 23.1383

Peter

Those are the portions quoted on my webpage, but thanks for that link.
I haven't found a reference where all the sections were seperated out
into easily digestable pieces.
Old April 25th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Michelle P wrote:
DonMorrisey wrote:
Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Don....

Visibility should be 120 degrees per position.
Left from nose counter clockwise to 120 degrees
Right from nose clockwise to 120 degrees
Rear the remaining 120. Must be visible from above and below as well. AC
43-13 or Part 23 would have the legal answer.

Michelle

The side lights span 110 degrees. The rear covers 140.
Old April 25th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Michelle P wrote:
DonMorrisey wrote:
Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Don....

Visibility should be 120 degrees per position.
Left from nose counter clockwise to 120 degrees
Right from nose clockwise to 120 degrees
Rear the remaining 120. Must be visible from above and below as well. AC
43-13 or Part 23 would have the legal answer.

Michelle

The side lights span 110 degrees. The rear covers 140.

I believe that the rear position light spans something like 180 to 190
degrees.

Peter

Old April 25th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Michelle P wrote:
DonMorrisey wrote:
Hello group.

Is there a regualtion/description detailing how/where Nav/Strobe/
Position lights get mounted on the wing tip?

I have Aeroflash lights and am ready to cut my fiberglass wing tip to
mount them but am wondering if there are specific recommendations
other than they should be seen from 360 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Don....

Visibility should be 120 degrees per position.
Left from nose counter clockwise to 120 degrees
Right from nose clockwise to 120 degrees
Rear the remaining 120. Must be visible from above and below as well. AC
43-13 or Part 23 would have the legal answer.

Michelle

The side lights span 110 degrees. The rear covers 140.

I believe that the rear position light spans something like 180 to 190
degrees.

Peter

Yeah, ya gotta have it span more'n 180° er ya couldn't tell which
direction the observed plane was a goin'..(when it's flyin 90° to your
line of sight)