Flying w/faulty gas gauge

Old November 15th 03, 05:36 PM
Yossarian

Default Flying w/faulty gas gauge

I understand that functional fuel gauges are required equipment for day VFR
flight. Yesterday during my preflight in a 172 I saw that the right gauge
was functioning intermittently--it would show full, flicker down to zero,
bounce around, etc. Tank was visually confirmed full. Mechanic messed
around with it for a while to no effect.

Would you fly this airplane?

Old November 15th 03, 06:17 PM
Ron Natalie

"Yossarian" wrote in message . ..
I understand that functional fuel gauges are required equipment for day VFR
flight. Yesterday during my preflight in a 172 I saw that the right gauge
was functioning intermittently--it would show full, flicker down to zero,
bounce around, etc.

On the ground? Usually they don't start behaving that way until you are
in flight. Something is definitely wrong.

Would you fly this airplane?

Not if the FAA was watching.

Old November 15th 03, 06:40 PM
Jim Weir

-I understand that functional fuel gauges are required equipment for day VFR
-flight.

The function of a fuel gauge in a Cessna is to tell whether or not the master
switch is on.

-
-Would you fly this airplane?
-

If the mechanic said the gauge was OK (just to cover my butt) and since I don't
use the gauge to determine anything anyway, I'd go. If the gauge fails and the
FAA finds it on a ramp check, "Gee, the mechanic fixed it and it worked just
fine until ten seconds ago."

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 15th 03, 07:20 PM
Ron Natalie

"Philip Sondericker" wrote in message ...

Since we are taught from day 1 of our flight lessons to never trust the gas
gauge anyway, what difference does it make?

91.205 says you have to have them.

Old November 15th 03, 07:33 PM
Dave

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Philip Sondericker" wrote in message

Since we are taught from day 1 of our flight lessons to never trust the

gas
gauge anyway, what difference does it make?

91.205 says you have to have them.

Depends whether you feel the gas gauge is there to give you a definite
answer as to your gas state or an opinion.

From what you say its opinion is that you have anything from empty to full.
Seems ok to me.

Old November 15th 03, 07:54 PM
ArtP

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:40:58 -0600, "Roger Tracy"
wrote:

Yes. I go by tach time anyway and can peg fuel consumption
pretty close.

Spoken like a high winger. For us low wing types we have to know how
much fuel is in each tank. Since climb, cruise, and descent all use
different amounts of fuel it is hard to know how much is left in each
tank. Sooner or later we come to the point when the POH says switch to
the fullest tank. We need the gauges to know which one that is.