Can I suspend an A-65 by the prop. flange?

Old March 12th 05, 10:41 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Can I suspend an A-65 by the prop. flange?

Can I suspend an A-65 engine by the prop flange without causing undue
strain on the internals? - Mike
Old March 12th 05, 10:52 PM
Ernest Christley

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Can I suspend an A-65 engine by the prop flange without causing undue
strain on the internals? - Mike

You better be able to.

You get about 3.5 to 4lb of thust from each horse at the prop flange. A
100Hp engine should give you somewhere in the ballpark of 400lbs. The
engine has to withstand that 400lbs of thrust trying to pull the prop
flange off. If that engine weighs 400lbs and only gives you 100Hp,
you'd do better to leave it on the ground and just flap your arms real
hard 8*)
Old March 12th 05, 10:54 PM
Montblack

("Michael Horowitz" wrote)
Can I suspend an A-65 engine by the prop flange without causing undue
strain on the internals? - Mike

What kind of stand did you end up with?

Montblack
Old March 12th 05, 11:41 PM
Michael Horowitz

"Montblack" wrote:

("Michael Horowitz" wrote)
Can I suspend an A-65 engine by the prop flange without causing undue
strain on the internals? - Mike

What kind of stand did you end up with?

Montblack

Still up in the air - my A&P got ill so I wasn't able to visit my
engine. Based on the post just above this one, which implied "of
course", I'll probably bolt the flange to a 2x8 and suspend the engine
flange up between two saw horses. All I'm doing is bolting on the
exhaust, carb. and some other stuff prior to lifting it onto the
engine mount. - Mike

Old March 13th 05, 04:11 AM
Charlie

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Can I suspend an A-65 engine by the prop flange without causing undue
strain on the internals? - Mike

A conventional engine stand for an a/c engine is configured so that the
engine sits *on* the flange ('nose down'). You start building with just
the crank standing upright on the flange & add parts.

A plywood disk the same diameter as the widest dimension of the engine
drilled with a bolt circle matching the prop flange, a handful of bolts
& fender washers & you have a stable stand leaving easy access to all
the engine. Obviously you need to shim the bottom of the disk to allow
for the bolt head thickness.

Hope the word picture is adequate.
Old March 13th 05, 01:18 PM
Michael Horowitz

Charlie wrote:

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Can I suspend an A-65 engine by the prop flange without causing undue
strain on the internals? - Mike

A conventional engine stand for an a/c engine is configured so that the
engine sits *on* the flange ('nose down'). You start building with just
the crank standing upright on the flange & add parts.

A plywood disk the same diameter as the widest dimension of the engine
drilled with a bolt circle matching the prop flange, a handful of bolts
& fender washers & you have a stable stand leaving easy access to all
the engine. Obviously you need to shim the bottom of the disk to allow
for the bolt head thickness.

Hope the word picture is adequate.

Short and simple. Thanks - Mike

Old March 13th 05, 01:36 PM
jls

"Charlie" wrote in message
.. .
Michael Horowitz wrote:
Can I suspend an A-65 engine by the prop flange without causing undue
strain on the internals? - Mike

A conventional engine stand for an a/c engine is configured so that the
engine sits *on* the flange ('nose down'). You start building with just
the crank standing upright on the flange & add parts.

A plywood disk the same diameter as the widest dimension of the engine
drilled with a bolt circle matching the prop flange, a handful of bolts
& fender washers & you have a stable stand leaving easy access to all
the engine. Obviously you need to shim the bottom of the disk to allow
for the bolt head thickness.

Hope the word picture is adequate.

I made an engine stand from a Black and Decker folding work table. I
drilled the flange hole pattern in tooling plywood for the top. The table,
whose structure is rated for about 500 lbs., has been used for 200-lb.
C-85's, C-90's, and O-200's.

I have seen A-65's hung from the crankshaft end with a hook attachment
screwed onto a tapershaft. Hanging from a flanged crankshaft would
probably be OK as long as you spread the load over the entire flange. But
who would want to? I wouldn't want to be working on an engine swinging on
a chain.

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Prop Pitch Question Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 April 25th 04 03:22 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM