GP06

Old January 30th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GP06

Anyone here seen the results?

Ben Flewett from NZ won. Got a nice chq for his trouble as well. Good on ya
Ben!!

Any thoughts on the overall impression from the website, videos etc?

I thought it was excepionally well done. Congrats to the organisers and
competitors. Hopefully there will be a highlights package shown by some TV
network so we can see all the nifty footage they shot from the helicopters
and cockpit cameras.

Paul

Old January 31st 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I thought the website, updates and video were good. Does anyone know
the number of spectators/day?

My hope is someone makes a slick DVD of the contest.

Chip F

Old January 31st 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The website was nice but what I missed was the ability to follow the
whole thing online more or less in realtime as you could in St. Auban.
Besides the online tracking they had a great Dynamic Flight
Visualization in St. Auban allowing you to compare who did what when
and the consequences of it - great learning tool :-). I guess in
Omarama they had this new real time tracking system from the same
company that does this for the round the world sail boat races but no
online access, only for paying visitors on site... Not having that
availalable online was a step backwards fro me...

Markus

Old January 31st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can download the igc files from each day and achieve the same result
with Seeyou.
True it was after the racing has finished but still possible. The St Auban
Grand Prix coverage was delayed by 15mins due to tech issues etc. The
Omarama one was done live onto the big screen with video footage from the
helicopters and cockpit cams edited as they went along. Just like the
Americas cup racing is done. They even had a couple of guys in front of the
big screen giving a running commentry as well. The actual numbers to come to
the event where dissapointing but the big thing is to show a package of all
the infomation is possible which is a saleable item to major networks. Then
with TV comes sponsors and exposure.

Paul
oups.com...

Old January 31st 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article .com,
"chipsoars" wrote:

I thought the website, updates and video were good. Does anyone know
the number of spectators/day?

I'd esrtimate maybe four hundred on Saturday, and half that numberr on
Sunday. Perhaps we'll hear the actual ticket numbers in time.

My hope is someone makes a slick DVD of the contest.

You can count on that. More than that, I think it would make a great
show for broadcast TV.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old January 31st 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, maybe something similar to the excellent footage in " Windborne".
Craig

The images are way in advance of what was possible when Windborne was shot.

The camera used for the aerial shots is very nice. Zoom from cockpit filling
the frame to several kilometers out. Steady as a rock.

The graphics are good enough that you could fool the uninitiated into
believing it was real video footage. Watching Uli slip through a saddle
between Timaru Creek and The Dingle was magic. No gliders going through
the side of a hill like you get with less accurate 3D stuff.

The gliders had three cameras in each, one on the pilot, one looking
along the wing, and one over the shoulder. We watched real time over Ben's
shoulder as he landed on a strip in the Hunter valley.

The footage I saw was amazing, and there's plenty more I didn't see.

--
Philip Plane _____

---------------( )---------------
Glider pilots have no visible means of support
Old January 31st 06, 10:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

it is definately not the same thing to download the igc files. It is
like watching reruns of some soccer game knowing the result. I know
Paul that you are from NZ and try to keep it up, but that was a BIG
failure.

Web site was nice as far as graphics etc, but many times results were
wrong at first. Many other competitions has done much better job and it
has been much more interesting to follow their web sites.

I got the impression that GP06 supposed to be THE best, easiest to
follow glider competition ever... Sorry guys you failed a bit.

Though all the cameras etc, were very nice, very nice graphics, but
again nobody saw then out side of Omarama... It would been ok to put a
web cam to the big screen or something. Anything...

And congrats to Ben Flewett...

Old February 1st 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The richest prize in gliding history $10,000.00 new Zealand dollars.

follow glider competition ever... Sorry guys you failed a bit.

Come on more than a bit all hype what 11 gliders 11 pilots

Average website when you put it up against St Aubins.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You are right Mal,

though the whole consept is very good I think. I would of been nice to
see those final glide battles where only I second was separating pilots
(usually Ben Flewett)

I truly hope that the reason that there were no tracking wasn't that
they wanted to so it only to the paid visitors (did I hear 10000-15000)
Ok, divide it by 100 Unfortunately Omarama is middle of nowhere.
Maybe next issue is, how to get this race closer to the big cities.

Big thank to Mette and Dave who ran very nice web sites too. Lot more
information could be gathered thru there...