Cancer Report

Old November 20th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Cancer Report

Cancer Report
for Wed, 19 Nov 2008 @ 1700

I was initially diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma on 14 June 2008. The
diagnosis was confirmed on 20 June 2008. X-ray and MRI located the
tumor in my pelvic girdle and lower spine. Over a two-week period X-
ray therapy was used to kill as much of the tumor as possible without
damaging the adjacent healthy bone & tissue. Following the X-ray
therapy I was put on an aggressive regime of chemotherapy which was
adjusted from week to week based on data provided by periodic blood
tests.

The blood tests indicated I was doing quite well with regard to the
tumor but I was wracked by a constantly increasing level of pain in my
lower back. On 22 October a series of X-rays revealed I'd suffered a
compression fracture of the #3 lumbar vertebrae.

On 30 October I underwent vertebroplasty, a surgical procedure in
which the crushed vertebrae is first returned to its original length
and configuration then fixed in that position by injecting a fast-
setting cement into the voids the tumor had created INSIDE of the
vertebrae. The procedure was successful. The cessation of pain
allowed me to devote more time to the exercises needed to restore the
musculature that had been destroyed by the tumor... and by the
chemotherapy.

Today, the 19th of November, 2008, the aggressive regime was deemed a
success and was replaced with a more benign regime using drugs that do
not have the side-effects of the original regime.

I still have cancer. I'm still as weak as a cat. But the cancer has
been reduced to a manageable state that may lead to remission. The
weakness now depends on my determination to overcome it.

--R.S.Hoover
Old November 20th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead

On Nov 19, 7:47*pm, " wrote:
[...]

That's very good news Bob......
Old November 20th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Hickey

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:47:11 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

I am one of those guys who don't post a lot, but I read everyday. I
have often been amused by some of the outlandish rhetoric that flies
back and forth, telling me that there are some real oddballs out
there.

But you, sir, have proven to be a solid gentleman, and I am glad that
you have received this news. Enjoy the best parts of every day. You
deserve it.

Best of luck.

Tim Hickey
Zenith CH-300 Driver.

Old November 20th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Well, Bob, you're kind of like a medicine man of aircraft nuts and
bolts, and, alot of other stuff that's relevant to doing well for
yourself, and unselfish with your knowlege. The cancer thing has
definitely written a check with insufficient funds.
A.L.
Phoenix

P.S. cats might be weak, but they "take a licking. and keep on ticking"
(or in your case: kicking as in "to the curb").

Old November 20th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Nov 19, 5:47*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Great nkews! I especially appreciate the infor on the collapsed
vertebra. I have a pinched nerve in that location that has been
worrying me and was leery of an operation. Your info cured that.

Keep on, keeping on!

Harry K
Old November 20th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

wrote in message
[...]

Good deal ! Sounds like a nice sunrise, after a long dark night. Best to
you.

Flash

Old November 20th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Nov 19, 5:47*pm, " wrote:
Cancer Report

Thanks, guys.

I don't especially care for hanging out my personal laundry in
public but enough of you have expressed a sincere interest -- and
backed it up with action -- that it would be churlish of me to not
provide a public update of my condition.

Five months ago I thought I was going to die before Christmas. But
the more I read, the more I came to understand that the outcome of
this particular form of cancer -- a TREATABLE cancer -- depends
largely on the attitude of the victim. (Being diagnosed with Multiple
Myeloma impacted the income of many victims, especially if they drove
an airplane for a living.)

By pushing the physicians (and myself) it was possible to skew the
odds in my favor. But doing so would impact some projects I was
working on with a number of you, which is why I announced my
condition in a public posting. (You've got to admit, when it comes to
excuses "I've got cancer" out-does "The dog ate my home-work.")

This 'fight,' as some called it, attracted a lot of attention and
produced a lot of mail, which to answer individually would have been
impractical. Hence the public airing.

Another way for you to look at it is that YOU have had an influence in
the outcome. Think about that one for a minute. We are all hairy-
chested individuals here, Masters of the Sky, etc. But we have had an
influence on the outcome of a case of cancer. Which should cause you
to wonder what else you might influence by simply banding together.

-Bob
Old November 20th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Flyingmonk[_1_]

On Nov 19, 8:47*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Glad to hear Bob. You'll get your strength back soon.

Monk
Old November 20th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

Thanks, guys.

I don't especially care for hanging out my personal laundry in
public but enough of you have expressed a sincere interest -- and
backed it up with action -- that it would be churlish of me to not
provide a public update of my condition.

Jim: And thanks for being a big enough man to put aside your personal
feelings, and keeping us up to date. I for one greatly appreciate it, and
have been happy to keep you in prayers, at least once, each and every day.
I fully believe in the power of prayer, (without getting ultra religious,
here) and have seen miracles take place for other people in my life.

Vee: Another way for you to look at it is that YOU have had an influence in
the outcome. Think about that one for a minute. We are all hairy-
chested individuals here, Masters of the Sky, etc. But we have had an
influence on the outcome of a case of cancer. Which should cause you
to wonder what else you might influence by simply banding together.

Jim: Yep. Strength in numbers. Strength in pulling together, as you said.
It _is_ a powerful force.

Jim: What we have done, I hope, is to give you hope, too. But YOU have
been the one with all of the strength. The strength to not lie down to die.
The strength to believe in the chance for a cure. The strength to keep on
with your life, as well as it could be lived.

Jim: YOU have done that, by keeping your projects alive, and going, as best
you could. Keep up the good fight. Your news today, I believe is just one
in a long line of successes.

Jim: Besides that, you are way to ornery to let a little thing like the "C"
get you down, right? g
--
Jim in NC

Cancer [email protected] Home Built 18 November 8th 08 04:52 AM
The Cancer Engine [email protected] Home Built 3 July 12th 08 02:03 PM
cancer?? Tri-Pacer Piloting 11 October 24th 07 08:38 PM
Cancer purtybird0 Piloting 4 July 4th 07 12:34 AM
Medical after cancer Chas[_2_] Piloting 37 March 20th 07 11:48 PM