I finally made it, too!

Old November 6th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default I finally made it, too!

First of all, congratulations to John (BucFan), whose posting of a
successful checkride prompted me to write.

I've rarely posted here, but I've been consistently lurking, and I have
learned a lot from the group in the last year-and-a-half. Thanks to
all of you for that.

I passed my PPL-ASEL checkride yesterday, out of Morristown, NJ (KMMU).
It's a great feeling!

My stats, for those who might be interested:

Started, August, 2005
First Solo, December 2005 at 18 hours
Completed, November 2006
Primary training aircraft, C172 (with a couple of hours in a 182, and a
Piper Archer II on vacation trips back to my native Idaho)
83 hours total logged at time of checkride, about 70 of that dual
instruction in 46 lessons.

I averaged just over 3 lessons a month, despite all efforts to do two a
week. I endured lots of cancellations due to weather, or rarely,
aircraft or instructor availability.

I don't feel too bad about the total hours. I'm based just 15 miles
from Manhattan, and 12 from Newark International...I knew that learning
at a busy, towered airport with lots of bizjet traffic would add time,
and while I'd love to have bragging rights to earning the cert at, or
just over, the minimum require time, I know I feel more comfortable in
this environment having the extra time under my belt.

Total cost (I should have known better than to keep records...) was
just a hair under $10,000. I did get a lot of hours for that, and the
figure includes my buy-in for a local flying club. I've not only got
my ticket to show for the investment, I've got a small equity stake in
two Cessnas and I pay hourly rates significantly lower than those
offered by any of the local flight schools or FBOs. I picked up a nice
handheld nav/com radio and a couple of DC headsets, too, which are
included in the total cost. The only bit of bad luck was that I
started lessons about a week before Hurricane Katrina struck, and the
subsequent rise in fuel prices drove up the hourly wet rate on the
plane by nearly 40% over the course of my training. It's only now
starting to come back down.

I did ground school on my own, using the Gleim books, Jeppson CD, and
"Stick and Rudder" and "Say Again, Please" as additional references.
Passed the knowledge test with a 97%.

My favorite part of the whole process: My first short solo CC to a
nearby airport. I took off from MMU between a Gulfstream and a
Citation, I passed a Pitts biplane over Somerset (SMQ), and I entered
the landing pattern at Solberg (N51) behind the Metlife blimp! It
felt like I'd flown through the entire history of aviation, in just 20
NM.

Now the real learning starts...

Gary

Old November 6th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Burns[_1_]

Congrats Gary! and thanks for sharing.
Keep it safe and fly often!
Jim

Old November 6th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 11/06/06 13:22, wrote:
First of all, congratulations to John (BucFan), whose posting of a
successful checkride prompted me to write.

Congratulations, Gary.

I hope you don't think you need more experience before your posts will
be beneficial to others - you should feel encouraged to post any time ;-)

[...]

Regardless of where you train, you should worry about the time it takes
you to get your certificate. It took you the exact amount of time that
was necessary ;-)

It's great that you got to train in such a busy area, though. I trained
in a less busy area, although I did get a lot of Tower communication
practice.

Total cost (I should have known better than to keep records...) was
just a hair under $10,000. I did get a lot of hours for that, and the
figure includes my buy-in for a local flying club. I've not only got
my ticket to show for the investment, I've got a small equity stake in
two Cessnas and I pay hourly rates significantly lower than those
offered by any of the local flight schools or FBOs. I picked up a nice
handheld nav/com radio and a couple of DC headsets, too, which are
included in the total cost. The only bit of bad luck was that I
started lessons about a week before Hurricane Katrina struck, and the
subsequent rise in fuel prices drove up the hourly wet rate on the
plane by nearly 40% over the course of my training. It's only now
starting to come back down.

That's great about the flying club. What do you have to pay for an
hour on the 172/wet?

Around here, the FBOs are renting an IFR-certified 172 for just over
$100, while I can get the same thing in my club for $76/hr wet.

I did ground school on my own, using the Gleim books, Jeppson CD, and
"Stick and Rudder" and "Say Again, Please" as additional references.
Passed the knowledge test with a 97%.

Great. How did the oral portion of your practical test go?
I was really nervous when I did mine. In fact, I was asked what type
of special-use airspace was designated with an 'A' (as in 'A-2047')
and I couldn't get the word 'alert' out of my mouth to save my life!
I finally had to look it up ;-\

My favorite part of the whole process: My first short solo CC to a
nearby airport. I took off from MMU between a Gulfstream and a
Citation, I passed a Pitts biplane over Somerset (SMQ), and I entered
the landing pattern at Solberg (N51) behind the Metlife blimp! It
felt like I'd flown through the entire history of aviation, in just 20
NM.

Wow!, That does sound like fun.

Now the real learning starts...

Yes, it all begins now. Do you have any plans for your initial aviation
excursion?

Gary

Hey, you need a new signature ;-)

Congratulations again, and best of luck in your flying career.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old November 6th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck

I passed my PPL-ASEL checkride yesterday, out of Morristown, NJ (KMMU).
It's a great feeling!

Way to go, Gary -- congrats!

I started visiting these groups when I started looking for my first
plane, back in '97 - '98, and I can testify to the fact that there is a
wealth of knowledge here . Visit often, ask questions, and you will
learn more here than you would at any ten airports.

Fly safe!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 7th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
.Blueskies.

:
: My favorite part of the whole process: My first short solo CC to a
: nearby airport. I took off from MMU between a Gulfstream and a
: Citation, I passed a Pitts biplane over Somerset (SMQ), and I entered
: the landing pattern at Solberg (N51) behind the Metlife blimp! It
: felt like I'd flown through the entire history of aviation, in just 20
: NM.
:
: Now the real learning starts...
:
: Gary
:

Congratulations! There is a lot of traffic in that area, good place to learn...

Old November 7th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Mark Hansen wrote:
That's great about the flying club. What do you have to pay for an
hour on the 172/wet?

The C172 goes for $82/hour wet at the present time; the club also has
a C177 that rents for $90/hour. Rates are for tach time, not Hobbs
time, which represents an extra 20-30% savings.

Great. How did the oral portion of your practical test go?

The oral went great. Not all that many questions, possibly because I
did well on the knowledge test. It was, in large part, a conversation
with the examiner. I learned some new stuff.

Yes, it all begins now. Do you have any plans for your initial aviation
excursion?

I'm going to build some more local solo time, then when my Dad comes to
visit at Thanksgiving I'll take him up as my first passenger. He was a
private pilot many years ago, but he had stopped flying and sold his
Luscombe before I was born. This will be his first time in a light
plane in about 50 years.

Old November 7th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jack Allison[_1_]

Congratulations Gary! It was a long time coming but you've finally
achieved something very few people on the face of the planet have done.
Nice!

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old November 7th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Marc Adler wrote:
"Instructor availability"? Are they that thin on the ground there?

No, instructor or aircraft availability was very rarely a problem. Not
that many people in the club were flying the Skyhawk, and for most of
the time I was a student, I was the only student in the club--so it
wasn't too hard to book the instructor.

figure includes my buy-in for a local flying club. I've not only got

Do you mean fractional ownership? (Yes, another stupid question from
the newbie...)

How does that work? If you have to pay your share of monthly expenses
(in addition to the buy-in fee), doesn't it wind up costing more than
renting if you don't fly that often?

Good questions. I ran the numbers before I started, and figured that
the cost of joining the club would be recovered in my hourly rental
rates well before I finished training--even if I never got a dime of my
equity stake back out (and under most circumstances, the equity stake
is refundable when leaving the club). There are monthly dues ($60) to
cover other expenses like insurance and tie-down fees, but in what I'm
saving relative to renting at the local flight schools, I come out
ahead if I only fly 3 hours a month. And I plan to fly more than
that!

I actually posted an ad for the flying club here, about two weeks ago.
Look for the post with "Morristown, NJ" in the title.

Gary

Old November 7th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Beckman

Atta Boy Gary...

Congrats on getting it done.

Regards,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Finally made it BucFan Piloting 22 November 7th 06 06:32 AM
It's finally running! Corky Scott Home Built 19 April 29th 05 04:53 PM
Finally Going to Tackle the Interior - Day 0 Mike Spera Owning 10 March 30th 05 07:21 AM
Finally got my X-country in.. PJ Hunt Rotorcraft 0 December 18th 04 10:50 AM
Australian made Bearhawk www.agacf.org Home Built 12 December 15th 03 06:08 AM