Simple & Cheap Tricks for your plane

Old February 6th 04, 02:03 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Simple & Cheap Tricks for your plane

This thread was actually started on the Cherokee 235/236 owner's group a
couple of days ago, and it was quite interesting and informative. However,
that group is quite small by comparison to rec.aviation -- so I thought I'd
open this topic up for everyone here.

The challenge is this: Post all the cheap and simple little "tricks" that
you've come up with to make your aircraft or your flying easier, cheaper,
and more comfortable! I'll bet we come up with quite a list of ideas.

Here are mine:

1. The shoulder harnesses in our plane were a constant pain in the butt to
stow and reach. We were always fishing them off the floor before each
flight. One day I noticed there were snaps installed in the webbing of the
harness, so I went to a sewing shop and bought the "male" mates to those
snaps. I then installed the co-pilot's male snap in the ceiling, using an
existing screw, and the pilot's male snap in the plastic above the left
window, also using an existing screw.

Voila! We now just snap our shoulder harnesses up and out of the way after
each flight, and the harnesses are always within easy reach.

2. Hand-held radios are very handy things to have on board (I used a
hand-held to get into Minneapolis International one night, after a com
failure), but where to put them? They've got to be within easy reach, but
also out of the way. But I didn't like keeping one in the seat backs, since
those always seem to be over-loaded.

So, using left-over leather from our recent interior job, I hand-tooled a
pouch for our little ICOM unit. On our Cherokee there is a little space just
ahead of the door on the co-pilot's side that is perfectly sized for this
pouch. Again, using an existing screw I installed a snap, and we now have
our hand-held (and the headphone adaptor, which is crucial in a noisy
airplane) right by the co-pilot's knee -- handy, but not in the way!

3. When we had the interior re-done, I had the upholstery shop install an
extra pocket on the pilot's side, down by your left ankle. This cost
practically nothing, and essentially doubles the storage space on the
pilot's side -- a real God-send for stowing flashlights, checklists,
leatherman tools, etc.

4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee. It swings
out into the slip stream on a hot summer day, and literally pipes the prop
wash directly into the cabin. It's cheap, and very effective.

5. For the luggage compartment, we bought one of those wheeled under-the-bed
plastic storage containers at WalMart. It fits perfectly, is easily removed,
and solves the never-ending fight against clutter.

6. Also for the shoulder harnesses we bought a couple of those cheap
velcro-on fleece pads, available at any automotive shop. They make the
shoulder harnesses MUCH more comfortable, especially for Mary. Those
harnesses catch her right in the neck!

Those are mine -- what have you done to make life easier in the cockpit?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 04:18 AM
Troy Towner

Ehh don't forget you'll need to update the weight and balance for the minor
seatbelt adjustment.. ahah just giving you a hard time..

One thing I found really helps out for the many 172's I fly is a weight and
balance spreadsheet I created. I basically open up the excel spreadsheet
enter the fuel I am going to use, the weight of all passengers, luggage, oil
etc.. and there it comes out with all the data in a heart beat. And look
right below the spreadsheet is the weight and balance envelope, inserted
into the file. My calculations are right, yet if on the edge I would
recommend rechecking with a notepad and pencil...

Cost: $FREE
If you would like the spreadsheet I would not mind lending it out...
email me Subj: C172 W&b Spreadsheet

Troy T.

Old February 6th 04, 06:00 AM
Prime

"Troy Towner" wrote in
om:

Ehh don't forget you'll need to update the weight and balance for the
minor seatbelt adjustment.. ahah just giving you a hard time..

One thing I found really helps out for the many 172's I fly is a
weight and balance spreadsheet I created. I basically open up the
excel spreadsheet enter the fuel I am going to use, the weight of all
passengers, luggage, oil etc.. and there it comes out with all the
data in a heart beat. And look right below the spreadsheet is the
weight and balance envelope, inserted into the file. My calculations
are right, yet if on the edge I would recommend rechecking with a
notepad and pencil...

What I did was buy a black smaller size 3-ring notebook. I filled it with
lined paper and a few clear paper holders. In the paper holders I put a)
shrunk printouts of the aircraft checklists; b) a sheet with local
frequencies; c) a sheet which is a printout of the most common loading
problems for W&B: full fuel, full 'std 170lb' passengers, and remaining
luggage to bring a/c up to max gross; tabs fuel + max passengers possible
+ luggage to make up difference, etc.

In this way I always know the range of W&B tolerances I can take without
redoing the problem every time. In our Cherokee 140 (not a weight hauler,
I know), we can take full fuel, 2 170lb pilots, and 80 lbs luggage and
fly for 4 hrs + reserve; or we can take 3-170lb adults, tab fuel, and 15
lbs luggage.

I store one of the aircraft keys in this notebook, along with a
mechanical pencil. The other aircraft key is on my regular key ring, so I
always have a spare.

Tim Long
CMA, CA
Old February 6th 04, 06:04 AM
C J Campbell

A little dab of paint on the lowest point of the sidewall of the tire when
the filler valve is lined up with the access door on the wheel pants.

Old February 6th 04, 06:07 AM
Ross Oliver

Sunshade for bubble canopy: plastic-mylar window insulation from hardare
store (thin bubblewrap with silver mylar on both sides). Cuts to shape
with common scissors, stiff enough to hold its shape, attach to canopy
with suction cups, or to frame with Velcro(tm). Also would work well for
window sun covers.

Plastic baseball card holder, $3/dozen at comic book stores: velcro to
instrument panel to hold cheat sheets. Mine holds a table of all the
local airport ATIS, tower, and ground frequencies.

Partial panel instrument cover: forget the post-its and rubber covers
that fall on the floor and leave rings on your DG. Take a sheet of 8x11
paper, fold into thirds like you are mailing a letter. Hold
vertically, and poke a hole just above center using a pen or pencil.
Hang on the AI adjustment knob. Covers the AI and DG perfectly. My
CFII gets credit for this one, thanks Greg!

Is the black coloring on top your glareshield fading to tan-gray?
The black color is there for a reason: minimize reflection in the
windshield. Buy a yard or two of black craft felt at the fabric store,
and cut to fit. You may be suprised by the improved visibility.

Is that handwritten compass deviation card getting a little hard to
read? Not in the best location? Transcribe into Excel, then laser
print and attach to panel with double-sided foam tape. Mine is
in vertical column format between the #1 OBS and radio stack.

These aren't exactly in the cockpit, but still good Cheap ******* tips:

Homemade chocks: take a 6-ft length of 2-inch angle aluminum, apply
hacksaw, obtain 3 pairs of lightweight, easy-to-store, weather-resistant
wheel chocks.

Substitute pitot tube cover: 35mm film cannister with "X" cut into top.
Be sure to remove before flight!

Another use for 35mm film can: fill with coins and carry in flight bag
for raiding airport vending machines.

(I just bought a new digital camera intended to replace my 35mm SLR.
Now I will have to find a substitute source for those incredibly useful
little plastic containers!)

6-ft length of 12 guage bare copper wi I have a canopy cover for my
Grob. Whenever I am by myself and it comes time to put the cover
back on, the straps inevitably are dangling on the downwind side,
and I have to crawl under the aircraft to grab them. So I now keep
this length of wire in the car trunk (where the cover is stored while
flying) formed into a hook to snag the straps.

Happy landings,
Ross Oliver

Old February 6th 04, 12:21 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
4. The Kool Scoop is the best thing ever invented for a Cherokee.

That's a silly statement. My plane came with one, 12 years ago, and I
found it irritating and tacky looking. I removed it. You can have it
(as a spare) if you want.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old February 6th 04, 12:29 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Prime said:
What I did was buy a black smaller size 3-ring notebook. I filled it with
lined paper and a few clear paper holders. In the paper holders I put a)

That notebook is a good place to record your VOR checks for IFR flight as
well.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Flying is the perfect vocation for a man who wants to feel like a boy, but
Old February 6th 04, 12:58 PM
Jay Honeck

A little dab of paint on the lowest point of the sidewall of the tire when
the filler valve is lined up with the access door on the wheel pants.

But then I wouldn't be able to hear Mary cursing while I pushed the plane
back and forth! :-)

Good one!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 01:46 PM
Bushy

Substitute pitot tube cover:

Brightly coloured squeaky dog toy. Once your dog chews a hole in it and the
squeaker won't work unless you hold your finger over it to confuse your poor
puppy, then you can use it knowing that it will be visible and remembered
during preflight.

Now I will have to find a substitute source for those incredibly useful
little plastic containers!)

Drop into your local photo lab when you are shopping and ask. Most will have
a bucket full they haven't taken out to the industrial bin that day and are
happy to have them go to a good home. It also saves the shop assistant a
trip out to the bin!

Peter