US Senator Santorum sells out citizens - cheap

Old May 28th 05, 05:37 AM
Skywise

"Matt Barrow" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote in
newsFPle.82$sZ5.1034 @news.uswest.net:

"John Galban" wrote in message
oups.com...

Snipola

I just find it a little objectionable to pay
some private company for a Nexrad image that was generated by my tax
dollars.

Can you get a Nexrad image directly from NOAA/NWS?

Snipola

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

As well as many other websites.

While airborne?

Good point. I was thinking preflight.

Brian

Home of the Seismic FAQ
http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old May 29th 05, 05:35 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:
Can you get a Nexrad image directly from NOAA/NWS?

Snipola

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

As well as many other websites.

While airborne?

To get access to this data while airborne, I have to pay a private
company. I don't care about that, because I'm paying the company to
transmit the data to me, just like I pay my ISP to provide an Internet
connection when I pull the data off of the web. The bottom line is that
my tax dollars are being spent to generate the data, and therefore I
shouldn't have to pay a private company for access to the data if I
otherwise have a means of access.

JKG
Old May 30th 05, 04:33 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:
Can you get a Nexrad image directly from NOAA/NWS?
Snipola

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

As well as many other websites.

While airborne?

To get access to this data while airborne, I have to pay a private
company. I don't care about that, because I'm paying the company to
transmit the data to me, just like I pay my ISP to provide an Internet
connection when I pull the data off of the web. The bottom line is that
my tax dollars are being spent to generate the data, and therefore I
shouldn't have to pay a private company for access to the data if I
otherwise have a means of access.

The government prints currency, but the corporations & financial
institutions generate wealth.

(And the people continue to line up at the public trough.)

Old May 30th 05, 08:00 AM
james

Rick Santorum has the brains of, well, Santorum. Thanks to Dan Savage
Santorum has a not so pleasant double meaning which is well deserved of
his thinking and policies.

(not for kids)

Old May 30th 05, 02:34 PM
OtisWinslow

Yes I do. Providing services that take care of our safety and
welfare are one of the few inherently government functions.
The last thing I want is for the greedy private sector
to be doing it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
.. Do
you REALLY want to have federally funded government agencies (with all
of the wonderful efficiencies the federal government brings with it)
using their state subsidization to compete with the private sector?

Old May 30th 05, 03:08 PM
Matt Whiting

"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Can you get a Nexrad image directly from NOAA/NWS?

Snipola

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

As well as many other websites.

While airborne?

To get access to this data while airborne, I have to pay a private
company. I don't care about that, because I'm paying the company to
transmit the data to me, just like I pay my ISP to provide an Internet
connection when I pull the data off of the web. The bottom line is that
my tax dollars are being spent to generate the data, and therefore I
shouldn't have to pay a private company for access to the data if I
otherwise have a means of access.

The government prints currency, but the corporations & financial
institutions generate wealth.

Well, one out of two ain't bad. Financial institutions don't create
wealth either.

Matt
Old May 30th 05, 03:29 PM
Larry Dighera

On 30 May 2005 00:00:08 -0700, "james" wrote in
. com::

Thanks to Dan Savage
Santorum has a not so pleasant double meaning which is well deserved of
his thinking and policies.

www.spreadingsantorum.com/
Satirical attempt to name the frothy mix of lube and fecal
matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex after Senator
Rick Santorum.

Old May 30th 05, 05:43 PM
Andrew Gideon

Matt Whiting wrote:

Well, one out of two ain't bad.Â*Â*FinancialÂ*institutionsÂ*don'tÂ*create
wealth either.

In an indirect sense, by helping move capital to where it can be best
leveraged, they do.

I'm not sure how this applies to our tax dollars paying for data that
companies want to sell to us again. Someone else on this thread mentioned
Jeppeson, which I think is a useful model. Jepp does a *lot* to add value
to the data for which we've paid. They don't complain that the government
sells charts; they simply sell better (at least in the opinion of enough
people to keep them in business) charts.

At least some of the weather companies do provide valuable packaging. I
don't happen to recall the maker of the unit, but I like the software
provided to pilots at an FBO I frequent. There's nothing there I cannot
get elsewhere, but the packaging - really, just the UI - is much cleaner
than the NSW's sites provide.

Then there are the services that combine weather with flight planning, which
is a significant value added and well beyond what the government does.

But rather than actually earn their fees, some companies would prefer to
whine and try to take the product of our tax dollars and sell them to us
again. It's nothing but a con job at that level: selling something to the
people that already paid for it.

- Andrew

Old May 30th 05, 10:33 PM
Matt Barrow

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
. ..
Yes I do. Providing services that take care of our safety and
welfare are one of the few inherently government functions.

Since government is, in essence, the legal use of force, I'd like to hear
your rationale for that.

The last thing I want is for the greedy private sector
to be doing it.

Yes, let power lusting, greedy government types handle it.