High wing to low wing converts...or, visa versa?

Old January 19th 05, 09:39 PM

George,
I'm only 5' 2" and need 2" cushions to see over the cowling and to
reach the pedals in both high wings (150/152/172/177, Champ) and low
wing (Tiger). I don't recall ever losing sight of the runway turning
base to final either.

Our interest in aerial photography along with the need for easily
accessible large baggage area led to buying a Cardinal. If it wasn't
for those factors, I'd have leaned towards the Grumman Tiger. I had not
flown any low-wing planes but had no problem handling/landing the Tiger
at first try.

Hai

Old January 19th 05, 11:55 PM
Matt Whiting

xyzzy wrote:

Better sightseeing in a low-wing plane.

I feel just the opposite. Unless you are star gazing, it is much easier
to see the ground in a high-wing and much easier to take pictures. I
had a heck of a time taking pictures of my house in the Arrow.

Matt
Old January 19th 05, 11:57 PM
Matt Whiting

xyzzy wrote:

There is no "slip with flaps" or not controversy in a low-wing plane.

What controversy? You can do it if it isn't prohibilted. I don't know
about all Cessna models, but I don't think that all have this prohibition.

Matt
Old January 20th 05, 12:00 AM
Matt Whiting

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

But in the end the real "deal killer" for a high-wing aircraft was when she
laughed out loud while flying the pattern. She just couldn't believe that
people flew a plane where the runway environment was invisible while turning
base-to-final.

That's probably also related to her height. I don't lose sight of the runway
turning base to final in a 182. I *do* have to lean forward, though.

Yes, same here, but I'm 6' tall with relatively short legs so I could
see over even the 182's glare shield fairly well and leaning forward I
could get ahead of the wing root fairly easily. No doubt that a
low-wing gives you a better view of the runway environment than a
high-wing, but I never found it a problem. As long as you start your
turn to final at the right point, it isn't hard to roll out on the
extended centerline. Usually you can see the runway once your heading
is within 30 degrees or so and that is usually plenty of time to adjust
the rate of turn to accomodate wind drift or an early or late turn.

Matt
Old January 20th 05, 12:13 AM
bk

The runway disappears, but that has never bothered me as it always
reappears right where it was originally. When the runway disappears is
a good time to look the other direction for the King Air zipping toward
the same piece of asphalt.

---------------------
She just couldn't believe that
people flew a plane where the runway environment was invisible while
turning
base-to-final.

--------------------

I can see where short people have a forward visibility problem,
although cranking the seat up helps some. For us tall people, the
headroom is great. I can barely sit in a Commanchee with headsets on,
and the Cherokee was pretty limited too.

The 182 does handle like a truck, but that's kind-of-nice sometimes,
too.

The differences are all secondary, though.

Old January 20th 05, 12:25 AM
Newps

Matt Whiting wrote:
xyzzy wrote:

There is no "slip with flaps" or not controversy in a low-wing plane.

What controversy? You can do it if it isn't prohibilted. I don't know
about all Cessna models, but I don't think that all have this prohibition.

None do.

Old January 20th 05, 12:30 AM
Matt Whiting

bk wrote:

The runway disappears, but that has never bothered me as it always
reappears right where it was originally. When the runway disappears is
a good time to look the other direction for the King Air zipping toward
the same piece of asphalt.

---------------------
She just couldn't believe that
people flew a plane where the runway environment was invisible while
turning
base-to-final.

--------------------

I can see where short people have a forward visibility problem,
although cranking the seat up helps some. For us tall people, the
headroom is great. I can barely sit in a Commanchee with headsets on,
and the Cherokee was pretty limited too.

The 182 does handle like a truck, but that's kind-of-nice sometimes,
too.

I hear that a lot, but I find the 67 Arrow I fly now to be just as
trucky as the 182. It is a little lighter in pitch, but the rudders are
stiffer. Roll is comparable.

I also prefer the vernier controls to the quadrant controls in the Piper.

Matt
Old January 20th 05, 02:52 AM
Dave

Jay...

I love flying our 172...(love flying anything)

But I am with Mary on the invisible turn to final!

One gets used to it.. but I much prefer the low wing
aircraft..

Dave

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:20:49 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

The only difference worth noting in my opinion is the view restrictions of
each type.

IE: restricted downward view in the low wing and the opposite in the high
wing.

I've flown "uppers and lowers", and find that both have weaknesses and
strengths. In the end, I like to fly both types.

What I found interesting, though, was watching Mary test-fly Cessna 182s
back in 2002 when we were looking to sell our Warrior. She had maybe 200
hours total time at that point, but no high-wing time at all, so she was a
valid test subject on this matter.

She was impressed with the interior room of the Skylane, but, being just 5
feet tall, she found the Cessna to be too "tall" for her comfort (I.E.: the
seating and panel position restricted her forward visibility too much, even
with a pillow) -- and she absolutely despised the 182's truck-like handling
characteristics.

Old January 20th 05, 02:55 AM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-01-19, Jay Honeck wrote:

But in the end the real "deal killer" for a high-wing aircraft was when she
laughed out loud while flying the pattern. She just couldn't believe that
people flew a plane where the runway environment was invisible while turning
base-to-final.

I learned to fly in C-172s and bought a Comanche. I laughed outloud the
first time I made a 30 degree banked turn and I could see everything!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 20th 05, 02:56 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Hi Jack;
(Bet nobody says hello to you walking up the steps to get on an airliner
do they :-)

Groan...If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that one. Certainly
would get a more interesting response in the post-911 days, eh? :-)
No, it's "Hello Jack", "Hey, Jack, hows it going"...er, something like
that. I prefer to avoid the TSA cavity search just because someone says
"Hi Jack" at an airport...though, that's not much of a problem since I
don't fly commercially all that much.

The whole thing about high wings and low wings is WAY over done.

Yep, sort of like the proverbial Ford/Chevy debate.

Not really...Chevy's suck!!

--
Matt

High wing vs low wing temp Owning 11 June 10th 04 02:36 AM
High Wing or Low Wing Bob Babcock Home Built 17 January 23rd 04 02:34 AM
End of High wing low wing search for me dan Home Built 7 January 11th 04 11:57 AM
Canard planes swept wing outer VG's? Paul Lee Home Built 8 January 4th 04 09:10 PM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM