Riddle me this, pilots

Old August 20th 03, 06:07 AM
Gene Seibel

Works quite well on a 90 degree convergence.

\. Then it was like a light bulb went on and
I realized that the best course of action was to head straight for the
point in the sky where he is.

This is the NASCAR version of crash avoidance. Head for where the spinning
car is now because he probably will have moved by the time you get there.

I guess this will work OK for aircraft provided you are not converging close
to head-on.

Old August 20th 03, 09:00 AM

Peter Duniho wrote:

What McNicoll is trying to say in his oh-so-charming way is that "radar
identified" has a very specific meaning, and the VFR traffic wasn't radar
identified. Being visible on the radar scope is not in and of itself
sufficient for being "radar identified".

Good points (both about McNicoll and radar identified ;-) Having said that it
seems that the air traffic procedures folks are primarily fooling themselves
(so, what's new? ;-) when they don't consider an unknown secondary target
returning Mode C data to be sufficiently radar identified for merging target
safety action. Good thing TCAS isn't so strict about what it tags.

Old August 20th 03, 12:11 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

What McNicoll is trying to say in his oh-so-charming way is that "radar
identified" has a very specific meaning, and the VFR traffic wasn't radar
identified. Being visible on the radar scope is not in and of itself
sufficient for being "radar identified".

McNicoll did say that, in his usual succinct manner.

Old August 20th 03, 12:22 PM
Chip Jones

wrote in message ...

I guess had he been above 10,000 you could have used the merging target

provisions of
the 7110.65?

I guess I am not totally following you here, Joe. Besides the "radar
identified" requirement for the traffic, the merging target provisions still
put the onus on the pilot to request vectors for avoidance. I think I still
would have ended up in an alert situation with this pair. Had I known that
these aircraft were going to get so apparently close in the end without a
visual, I would have vectored the Baron early in the interests of air safety
(regardless of what the 7110 dictates) to avoid the alert. Hindsight and
all that. :-)

To further muddy the water, merging target procedures dictate that I issue
traffic information to aircraft whose targets will merge (as in this event)
*unless* the aircraft are separated by more than the appropriate vertical
minima. In the class of airspace that this event occurred in (Class E),
there are no formal vertical separation minima between IFR and VFR aircraft.
Obviously there are several ways to interpret how this procedure does or
does not apply had this scenario occurred above 10,000.

Chip, ZTL

Old August 20th 03, 03:08 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Actually, it is you that is fooling yourself, when you imagine you know
something about air traffic procedures. The situation described in this
thread called for a traffic advisory and a safety alert, not merging target
procedures.

That's the policy created by a bunch of inward thinking idiots at FAA
Headquarters (ATP). That doesn't mean that application of merging target
procedures before it gets to a traffic advisory, then safety alert, whouldn't
be more prudent.

Old August 20th 03, 03:52 PM
Maule Driver

Heck, you don't even know if his Mode C was correct.

On 2 occassions , in that same general vicinity, my Mode C was showing the
wrong altitude by about 6,000 feet! Why? Transponder problem? I guess so,
but it only happened one other time in one other place and hasn't happened
again.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

We don't know that the VFR guy was in IMC, we don't know that he broke any
rules.

Old August 20th 03, 04:03 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
om...

Heck, you don't even know if his Mode C was correct.

Yes, as I stated in an earlier message.

On 2 occassions , in that same general vicinity, my Mode C was showing the
wrong altitude by about 6,000 feet! Why? Transponder problem? I guess

so,
but it only happened one other time in one other place and hasn't happened
again.

A couple of years ago we had a guy flying through GRB approach airspace that
always had bad Mode C. But it was only bad with GRB approach, no other
facility had a problem with it. He had it checked at an avionics shop and
they found nothing wrong.

Old August 20th 03, 04:59 PM
Stan Gosnell

"John R. Copeland" wrote in
:

Yes, my old TCADs used to do that for me in eastern Kansas, too.
(Or maybe it was in western Missouri, I'm not too sure.)
I've not noticed it since I upgraded to a 9900BX last year, though.
---JRC---

We're getting a few aircraft with the Goodyear system, & I love it. I see
aircraft flying out over the Gulf that I would never see at all if I didn't
see them come up on there. But we sometimes still can't see them, even on
a clear day. It depends a lot on the paint scheme and the position of the
sun. A white and blue helicopter over water is very difficult to see.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old August 20th 03, 05:07 PM
Ron Natalie

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message ...

We're getting a few aircraft with the Goodyear system, & I love it.

BFG = Goodrich. Wrong tire company.

Old August 20th 03, 07:36 PM
Ron Natalie

"Roy Smith" wrote in message ...
Peter Duniho wrote:
I guess that's a matter of debate. A faulty Mode C readout could cause a
TCAS unit to cause an accident, rather than avoid one.

The problem is that we're working with 50 year old technology here.
The idea that we can't reliably transmit one 24-bit message every 5
seconds is absurd.

TCAS was known to be a crock when it was proposed. It was a political
rather than a technical solution.
..