radio noise

Old November 26th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
et

Default radio noise

I have a radio question. Glasair 1TD with Icom radio, older headset.
When the engine is running and charging 14.5 volts the radio howls
when I transmit. Engine off, battery voltage, no noise. If I put
a small screwdriver in the small hole in the headset and turn it down
1/2 turn, no noise. If I then take the headset and plug it in my old
Cherokee, it won't transmit until I turn it back up.

Are all headsets this voltage sensetive? Or just older ones? Is
there a fix?

thanks

Ed

Old November 26th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
et wrote:

I have a radio question. Glasair 1TD with Icom radio, older headset.
When the engine is running and charging 14.5 volts the radio howls
when I transmit. Engine off, battery voltage, no noise. If I put
a small screwdriver in the small hole in the headset and turn it down
1/2 turn, no noise. If I then take the headset and plug it in my old
Cherokee, it won't transmit until I turn it back up.

Are all headsets this voltage sensetive? Or just older ones? Is
there a fix?

thanks

Ed

You need a capacitor between the alternator o/p and ground, to suppress
noise. All the aviation supply houses sell noise suppressors.
Old November 26th 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
et

On Nov 26, 9:18*am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

*et wrote:
I have a radio question. * Glasair 1TD with Icom radio, older headset..
When the engine is running and charging 14.5 volts the radio howls
when I transmit. * Engine off, battery voltage, no noise. * *If I put
a small screwdriver in the small hole in the headset and turn it down
1/2 turn, no noise. * If I then take the headset and plug it in my old
Cherokee, it won't transmit until I turn it back up.

Are all headsets this voltage sensetive? * Or just older ones? *Is
there a fix?

thanks

Ed

You need a capacitor between the alternator o/p and ground, to suppress
noise. All the aviation supply houses sell noise suppressors.

It's not that kind of noise, it's a loud howl when I try to transmit,
receives great. It will also howl after I shut down the engine,
until the battery voltage drops a little, then it transmits great.
Never does it when receiving.

Ed

Old November 26th 10, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:41:37 -0800 (PST), et
wrote:

On Nov 26, 9:18Â*am, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

Â*et wrote:
I have a radio question. Â* Glasair 1TD with Icom radio, older headset.
When the engine is running and charging 14.5 volts the radio howls
when I transmit. Â* Engine off, battery voltage, no noise. Â* Â*If I put
a small screwdriver in the small hole in the headset and turn it down
1/2 turn, no noise. Â* If I then take the headset and plug it in my old
Cherokee, it won't transmit until I turn it back up.

Are all headsets this voltage sensetive? Â* Or just older ones? Â*Is
there a fix?

thanks

Ed

You need a capacitor between the alternator o/p and ground, to suppress
noise. All the aviation supply houses sell noise suppressors.

It's not that kind of noise, it's a loud howl when I try to transmit,
receives great. It will also howl after I shut down the engine,
until the battery voltage drops a little, then it transmits great.
Never does it when receiving.

Ed

Lots of radios are sensitive to overvoltage. Try putting a diode or 2
in series with the power lead and see what happens. Most work just
fine as low as 10.5 volts or so - so even a good voltage regulator
(low dropout) could do the job - but I'd recommend a couple of silicon
rectifier diodes - minimum 24 volt and 50% more than the rated
current, better yet 50 volt and double the transmitter current.

Old December 7th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_3_]

It could be the radio side tone feedback causing the noises. I had
noise in my radio(s) when transmitting so it was not alternator
related. I adjusted the radio side tone to almost nil and now no more
noises and perfect transmission. I know it's distracting not to hear
yourself but it solved the problem.
Old January 17th 11, 12:11 PM
Elvise Elvise is offline
Junior Member

here is some tips for How to Reduce Radio Interference on a Headset

1- Insert the headset's audio plug into the audio output of an audio device.
2- Remove the battery cover on the back of the noise canceling device. Insert fresh batteries into the battery compartment and close the cover.
3- Insert one end of a mini-jack audio cable into the audio output of the audio device
4- Insert always fresh batteries into the battery compartments and close the covers.

Last edited by Elvise : January 22nd 11 at 10:53 AM.

Radio Noise Bob Home Built 6 January 11th 09 06:11 PM
wiring second radio and noise flps_74 Owning 3 November 4th 08 09:43 PM
radio noise et Home Built 4 September 30th 08 05:43 PM
Radio ignition noise. [email protected] Home Built 6 August 17th 07 05:15 PM
Radio ignition noise [email protected] Home Built 0 August 16th 07 03:46 PM