URGENT HELP !!!...FS2004/Radeon 9700 Probs......

Old May 13th 04, 09:48 PM
Derek

Default URGENT HELP !!!...FS2004/Radeon 9700 Probs......

Hi,

On behalf of a non internet friend.....

My friend has just had his PC returned from having a new hard drive fitted
(bigger). The shop simply transferred "everything" that was on his old drive
to the newer one.

And now he is experiencing various probs...

1. On boot up, his PC (he is using Windows XP), starts giving "file
inconsistency" warnings, and starts doing a "CheckDisk" program, which
amongst other things warns him about having "orphaned files" and attempts to
out them all right. This procedure takes for ever, and for the time being he
halts this process during the boot up by pressing any keyboard key.

How does he stop his PC attempting to go through the above lengthy process
each time on boot up ? Does he have to let it go through the complete
procedure at least once ? After that should he no longer get the warning ?

2, MORE IMPORTANTLY....

He is a keen fan of FS2004, and having now got his new upgraded PC, set to,
to install it for the first time, under my supervision. Having "succesfully
installed FS2004", he boots it up and finds ALL MANNER OF PROBS.....the main
one being that FS2004 refuses to acknowledge he has a all bells and whistles
graphics card (Radeon Pro9700), and "greys out" all the options to increase
hardrware settings, like, Bi-Linear Filtering, Water Textures, and many many
others. Also the graphics on launching FS2004 are pathetic, and it jerks all
over the place !!!

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED SIMILAR PROBS ? What needs to be done ? Is it
possible that during the hard drive file transfer process at the shop, they
have forgot to do something, and certain files havent transferred across ?
Would installing the latest Radeon drivers, help ? (I have my doubts)

I would really appreciate your help on this one URGENTLY, and could you
please email me DIRECTLY to if you can help ?

Many many thanks !

Derek

Old May 13th 04, 11:05 PM
Alan White

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:48:03 +0000 (UTC), "Derek"
wrote:

I would really appreciate your help on this one URGENTLY, and could you
please email me DIRECTLY to if you can help ?

Take it back to the shop.

--
Alan White
Twenty-eight miles NW of Glasgow.
Old May 14th 04, 01:56 AM
Derek

Hi,

Are you suggesting that the shop HAS made a mistake when copying over the
files from his OLD hard drive, to the NEW one then ?

Have you had personal experience of the same prob ?

Cheers

Derek

Old May 14th 04, 04:24 AM

wrote:

2, MORE IMPORTANTLY....

He is a keen fan of FS2004, and having now got his new upgraded PC, set to,
to install it for the first time, under my supervision. Having "succesfully
installed FS2004", he boots it up and finds ALL MANNER OF PROBS.....the main
one being that FS2004 refuses to acknowledge he has a all bells and whistles
graphics card (Radeon Pro9700), and "greys out" all the options to increase
hardrware settings, like, Bi-Linear Filtering, Water Textures, and many many
others. Also the graphics on launching FS2004 are pathetic, and it jerks all
over the place !!!

Find and delete 'FS9.CFG' (drive C, then load FS9 again. It'll
create a new fs9.cfg file, and 'should' fix the graphics problem.

All old graphics settings, and custom key-assingments (joystick too)
will be lost.

Might type-in 'dxdiag' from the 'Run' menu, and check the 'Display'
properties, make sure the video card is installed correctly.
Old May 14th 04, 08:26 AM
Alan White

On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:56:59 +0000 (UTC), "Derek"
wrote:

Are you suggesting that the shop HAS made a mistake when copying over the
files from his OLD hard drive, to the NEW one then ?

Yes. It was OK before it went to the shop. It isn't OK now.

Have you had personal experience of the same prob ?

Yes, I'm still trying to fix it.

Old May 14th 04, 01:46 PM
Derek

Hi Again,

What were your symptoms ??

Cheers

Derek

Old May 14th 04, 01:51 PM
Derek

Hi,

Thanks for that. I have told him what to do. Does this mean he will be able
to klick the sliders on ALL the graphics features in FS9 again ?

Cheers

Derek

Old May 14th 04, 03:57 PM
Alan White

On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:46:09 +0000 (UTC), "Derek"
wrote:

What were your symptoms ??

The problem is only mildly related to yours.

For the past six months, the Windows XP Event Viewer has been
predicting the imminent demise of my C drive.

I purchased a replacement, installed it as a second drive and on to it
backed up my original drive. The backup drive then replaced the
original and became the new C drive. The backup isn't an analogue of
the original in terms of functionality, e.g. the desktop settings are
different and applications that worked on the original don't work on
the backup. I haven't carried out a rigourous examination. I'll
probably do that when the current C drive dies!

This just demonstrates that simply copying files from one drive to
another isn't simplistic.

BTW, FlightSim wasn't affected as it's on another drive.

My advice is still 'take it back to the shop'.

Old May 15th 04, 01:49 AM
Derek

Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for the interesting reply.

He has decided VERY reluctantly to bite the bullet, and take his PC back on
Monday, and have his new Hard Drive, formatted ! This I presume, wipes the
REGISTRY clean aswell hopefully. This SHOULD eliminate any problems with
FS2002 and FS2004 in his registry that he has had over the years.

But I still dont know why the straightforward installation of FS0024
complete, would mean that it doesnt even RECOGNISE that he has such a card
as the Radeon 9700 PRo even installed ! He cant adjust sliders on things
like "Bi Linear Filtering", "Enhanced Water Detail", or even use the "alt
and enter" command to make his flightsim desktop go full screen. He could do
ALL of the above with his old FS2002 Pro, but not with FS2004.

Thanks for your help matey. I dont know where to go from here.

Derek (20 miles west of the English Lake District)

Old May 16th 04, 11:52 AM
Carl Frisk

Sounds like the chipset drivers aren't installed correctly anymore. Also BEWARE the event log warnings about an
imminent drive failure are probably true. I just had a drive go out 2 hours after the first warnings appeared. You
could run the drive manufactures diagnostics tool to test the drive. I wouldn't trust it at this point. It could be a
bad cable. It could be a lot of things. Just copying the data from one drive to other if it is the boot OS is going to
cause problems. If the disk was imaged you may be OK. What happened to the old drive? Does he now have two installed?

I'd take it back to the shop.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.