Ridge soaring, Hood River, Oregon, USA

Old September 26th 12, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Default Ridge soaring, Hood River, Oregon, USA

It was a little weak, but a fun day. Big fire still burning to our north up on Mt. Adams in Washington. There are lots of hawks and eagles migrating down our ridge this time of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEqnMdNEGI

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=2758706

Boggs
Old September 26th 12, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFBhKl-erZE

Boggs
Old September 26th 12, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

What's your airspeed?
Old September 26th 12, 08:57 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveguru View Post
Gary,

I Agree...it looks great this time of year! Nice to know others are enjoying it when I can't! Thanks for sharing.

Brad A.
Old September 27th 12, 01:19 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Okay, I have a question....I am a flat land Florida pilot. A ridge to us might be an overpass on the interstate. What happens when the wind allowing you to fly the ridge suddenly decides to take a break? Does this happen?

Walt
Old September 27th 12, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Walt, like always you keep somewhere safe to land within glide. Lulls in the wind are part of the game, but usually winds don't just suddenly stop entirely and if they do, at least you don't have the headwind to fight getting way from the ridge.

Morgan

--

Walt Connelly

Old September 27th 12, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:19:45 PM UTC-6, Walt Connelly wrote:
Okay, I have a question....I am a flat land Florida pilot. A ridge to

us might be an overpass on the interstate. What happens when the wind

allowing you to fly the ridge suddenly decides to take a break? Does

this happen?

Walt

--

Walt Connelly

Gary's been in some fields and one road (when the snow got heavy). Keep an out.

You seen this one? GTA ridge running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wKJjML0dYM

Look at the valley bottoms when possible.
Old September 27th 12, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

The winds here at the tops of our ridges don't often suddenly quit, but we're only about 10 or 15 miles from home so we can usually make it back. There is another private airport half way home. Our mountains are very steep and there are lots of great fields in the valleys as well. Our airspeed on this day was pretty much just above min sink because the lift was so marginal. Most of the time we are thousands of feet higher when we are down there.

Boggs

Ridge Soaring? Walt Connelly Soaring 28 February 3rd 11 01:00 AM
Slope soaring Mt. Hood GARY BOGGS Soaring 2 August 9th 09 04:26 PM
Ridge Soaring accident John Brenann Soaring 9 April 23rd 07 03:41 PM
A fine ridge day in PA - the Ridge Soaring Irregulars ride again QT Soaring 0 April 6th 06 04:01 PM
fatality in Hood River, Oregon, USA today. Gary Boggs Soaring 0 July 29th 03 07:14 AM