Experimentals and flight training

Old October 12th 05, 05:12 AM
Mike Gaskins

I knew I couldn't be the only BSG fan here. "Flight of the Phoenix"
was my favorite episode .

Old October 12th 05, 06:13 AM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote

Will they kick their "and" as well?

Don't ass me to repeat it!
--
Jim in NC
Old October 13th 05, 12:04 AM
Bret Ludwig

Jerry Springer wrote:

snip
Why do people like you hang out here??????????? You have made some of
the most asinine statements lately. You don't seem to have a grasp of
reality or understand why some people like to build and fly homebuilts.

People do an infinite many things for an infinite many reasons, but
some tend to be successful and some tend to end up in a lot of money
spent with dismal results, and some others result in an inordinate
percentage of people being killed.

I grew up on an airport and have worked in line service, avionics
shops, aircraft parts and a few other things. I have seen people work
on projects for ten years, lose their medical, their money or their
interest and never fly, more than once. I have also seen people DIE,
right in front of me. I have watched people take off thinking they
would be back in an hour or a day and heard they had crashed shortly
thereafter. In one case a family of four, two killed, one paralyzed,
fourth killed herself two weeks later. Another case pilot alone, just
licensed, own airplane (a certified factory one) he had worked for
_years_ for, decided didn't need insurance(!). Walked out without a
scratch, totalled a/c, never flew again. Knew another homebuilder sold
a project 95% complete, guy finished, crashed and died, widow harassed
him for years-builder's wife left him due to harassment/fear.

Pointing out bad ideas is my right and obligation. You are free to
disagree. But we are never going to have more than 1/3 of 1 percent of
the population flying unless the personal aviation ndustry takes
responsibility for its own. And experimentals, like it or not, are a
big part of the industry. And if personal aviation does not grow to
where it is at least as big as, say, riding modified motorcycles, it
won't have the political clout not to be legislated out of existence
like in Europe and Asia. Less than two million active pilots in the US
means it's a precarious thing. Most people in this hobby are actually
stuck up and anti-growth-they like uncrowdwd skies-but unless you are a
multimillionaire you no longer are able to fly in most countries.

Old October 13th 05, 02:52 AM
Capt. Geoffry Thorpe

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Why does a person with no pilot's license build a homebuilt???????

Why would a person get a pilot's license if his/her homebuilt isn't done
yet???????

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old October 13th 05, 01:53 PM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:52:09 -0400, "Capt. Geoffry Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

Why would a person get a pilot's license if his/her homebuilt isn't done
yet???????

Oh that's an easy one: So they can legally fly it when it's done!

What did I win? ;-)

It is in fact what I ended up doing, although ultimately I decided
that I would not complete my project and have now managed to sell it.
But I still fly when the weather is nice.

Corky Scott
Old October 13th 05, 04:24 PM

I see you got many replies, none of which address your question.

I don't think there is a FAR that prohibits training in an
experimental, but your operating limitations more than likely will,
with possible exceptions. Many of the FARs explicitly state that they
don't apply to experimentals (Part 43, for example), but the FAA adds a
few rules back in that it considers important by stuffing them into
your operating limitations that come with your airwrthiness
certificate. For example, the OLs for my RV-6 state that it cannot be
used for commercial purposes, including flight training. It can be
used, however, for my personal training, and in fact it was used for me
to earn my tailwheel endorsement. I can't turn around and use it to
train another student, though. Nor can I use it to tow a banner. It's
hard to guess how they're going to view a Hummelbird compared to
something like an RV-9A.

This will more than likely ultimately come down to a "negotiation" with
the FAA inspector that signs off on your airworthiness certificate.

Caveat: I'm not a lawyer (which I'm sure will be well proven in the
ensuing and inevitable flames), and I could be completely full of crap
(which will also be alleged). I can only tell you what's in my OLs
because I've read them. I don't know what your experience will be.
Best bet would be to contact the airworthiness inspector at your
regional FSDO - he's the guy you'll be working with.

Chris Wells wrote:
I'm building a Hummelbird, and I was hoping to use it towards my private
pilot's license, but I've heard that I can't use an experimental for
flight training. I looked through my FARAIM '97 and I can't find
anything to verify that. Has anything changed regarding this since
then? Can someone point me to the relevant regulations?

--
Chris Wells

Old October 13th 05, 10:31 PM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

I've talked to the guys in my club, and I've been told that there's nothing that says you can't use an experimental aircraft towards your PP...however, since the Hummelbird is a single place aircraft, I've been told it'll be next to impossible to find someone willing to sign me off on it, for liability reasons I guess.
Old October 18th 05, 01:03 AM
Anthony

Default Experimentals and flight training

Chris Wells wrote:

I'm building a Hummelbird, and I was hoping to use it towards my private
pilot's license, but I've heard that I can't use an experimental for
flight training. I looked through my FARAIM '97 and I can't find
anything to verify that. Has anything changed regarding this since
then? Can someone point me to the relevant regulations?

Chris a new FAR AIM is only 15 bucks...I do not think your dream will
come true. I think your time towards a PPL will need to be logged in a
craft for which the license applies.

Tony
Old October 18th 05, 02:51 PM
dodger

I know it is possible to get a sport pilots certificate in a single
place aircraft, but you will be restricted to flying that make/model
and no passengers until you later get checked out in a different craft.