Posting

Old April 23rd 10, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

Default Posting

There have been a fair number of terrific posts in here. How do I get you
guys to come over to my Google group and start posting there? I'd like to
see more participation but it seems that I'm the one doing all the posting.
Has anyone here run a group before who would like to share some advice on
getting people to participate?

Visit the group at
http://groups.google.com/group/aviat...n-by-you?hl=en.

Thanks, Nick

Old April 23rd 10, 08:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Giganews[_2_]

"Canuck" wrote in message
There have been a fair number of terrific posts in here. How do I get you
guys to come over to my Google group and start posting there? I'd like to
see more participation but it seems that I'm the one doing all the
posting. Has anyone here run a group before who would like to share some
advice on getting people to participate?

Visit the group at
http://groups.google.com/group/aviat...n-by-you?hl=en.

Thanks, Nick

I like aircraft pictures as much as anyone. One major drawback to your group
site is that one has to download each image to see the full size. It is so
much easier to view the images on a.b.p.a. and one can still receive and
provide feedback. While I applaud your initiative, I think the
implementation needs some streamlining.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

--
Criticism is easy; achievement is difficult W.S. Churchill

Old April 24th 10, 04:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"Giganews" wrote in message

"Canuck" wrote in message
There have been a fair number of terrific posts in here. How do I get you
guys to come over to my Google group and start posting there? I'd like to
see more participation but it seems that I'm the one doing all the
posting. Has anyone here run a group before who would like to share some
advice on getting people to participate?

Visit the group at
http://groups.google.com/group/aviat...n-by-you?hl=en.

Thanks, Nick

I like aircraft pictures as much as anyone. One major drawback to your
group site is that one has to download each image to see the full size. It
is so much easier to view the images on a.b.p.a. and one can still receive
and provide feedback. While I applaud your initiative, I think the
implementation needs some streamlining.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

Thanks for the feedback. While what you say is kind of true.... Google
Groups lets you modify your settings so that you can receive all group email
directly to your inbox. You don't need to download anything. All images and
postings are delivered to you. Option two is you can browse the group by
topic and click on message headers that appeal to you. You will see a
thumbnail of the image and you can either click on view or download. If you
click on view, you will see the full size image and be able to save it by
right clicking on the image. Alternately, you can download it. The system is
quite streamlined and very flexible. When you sign up for the group, you can
specify if you wish to receive all the emails or an abridged form or no
emails. The only thing is that you need to give a valid email address where
you want your emails sent. So, the system works much like this
group....except there is a permanent archive of messages and no fighting
about encoding or attachment size.

The other great thing is that you can change your delivery options at any
time. Say you are travelling or going on a vacation, you can switch from
daily emails to abridged or even no emails. Some members want the postings
instantaneously. Others prefer to get the abridged form (which I find
useless but to each their own), and others prefer to be members but get no
email so that they can pick and choose what they wish to read or view at
their own leisure.

If you are having trouble with Google groups because you are new to them,
feel free to ask me about it. I will try and help to the best of my ability.
I'd like to get some other people posting and contributing to the group and
to give all us regulars from here a permanent home on Google.

Take care,

Nick

Old April 24th 10, 05:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"Giganews" wrote in message

I like aircraft pictures as much as anyone. One major drawback to your
group site is that one has to download each image to see the full size. It
is so much easier to view the images on a.b.p.a. and one can still receive
and provide feedback. While I applaud your initiative, I think the
implementation needs some streamlining.

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

PS I forgot to mention that if you do select the email option, you are
able to reply to the posting and view the image directly on your computer.
Because I don't want trash and spam in the group, I have made the group a
moderated group which means all messages go into a holding pen when they are
sent to the group. I review them and post them to the group. Your own post
does not come back to you but is distributed auto magically to all of the
group members. If you visit the home page, you will see your post in the
archive. Rest assured, if there is a response from someone about your post,
it will come to your email inbox if you set up your preferences for email
delivery.

Nick

Old April 29th 10, 06:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Meyer

In article ,
"Canuck" wrote:

There have been a fair number of terrific posts in here. How do I get you
guys to come over to my Google group and start posting there? I'd like to
see more participation but it seems that I'm the one doing all the posting.
Has anyone here run a group before who would like to share some advice on
getting people to participate?

Visit the group at
http://groups.google.com/group/aviat...n-by-you?hl=en.

Thanks, Nick

Nick,

The timing of your post is interesting to me since Cox is discontinuing
Usenet service in a month or so. I need to decide if Usenet is worth
paying extra for (doubtful) or find an alternative.

Unfortunately, the user interface of Google Groups is very poor and I do
not think it's something I'll be using.

Great idea on your part, though, to propose an alternative.

Flickr, for example, has millions of aviation photos that can be made
part of groups and commented upon. I'm no fan of Flickr's user interface
either, but the community is already in place.
Old April 30th 10, 01:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"John Meyer" wrote in message
In article ,
"Canuck" wrote:

[...]

Hi John. I don't understand what part of the interface is posing a problem
for you or anyone else. Once you've signed up and selected the email
version, your entire interface with the group is through your email program,
the one that you know and love already. (Or hate).

The home page is just a starting point for the group. This is where you can
sign up and look backwards through the posts if you so desire. It allows a
permanent archive of all posts to be created. Since the group is moderated
by me, the SPAM gets deleted before you ever see it.

Please give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Take care,

Nick

Old May 3rd 10, 11:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
flybywire

odd as this group is the best for some excellent posting so why wander off
elsewhere ?

cheers

Mike

"Canuck" wrote in message

Old May 4th 10, 10:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_9_]

"flybywire" wrote in message
odd as this group is the best for some excellent posting so why wander off
elsewhere ?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike! Well... many people are starting to lose their access to
Newsgroups. Also, newsgroups don't have a permanent record of posts like
Google Groups.
I started the group on Google to give us a permanent home and to remove the
limits of file size, encoding, and so on. It is so much easier.
I do believe that Google Groups are the future and that Usenet is going to
die at some point. Give it a look/try. I'm hoping you will like it.

Remember to select the individual email option when signing up so that you
get every new post delivered to your mailbox.

Regards,

Nick