Amusing exchange of property use

Old March 13th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R

Default Amusing exchange of property use

I was searching for an airport I flew out of (9A7) back around the early
90's and when I found the area on Google maps it had been converted to a
prison.
But if you use Live Search their images are about 10 years older and you can
clearly see where the airport was.
This was a little mom and pop airfield in Jonesboro, Georgia that only have
a few planes in the pattern per week.
But many of the local residents complained about the noise those nasty
little planes were making and so the County of Clayton consolidated the
airport further south closer to the
Atlanta Motor Speedway.
I hope the residents are happy that the little airfield is gone replaced by
the sirens of escaping prisoners.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... Sorry, I just can't help myself.

David

Old March 14th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Sounds like something AOPA might want to put in their presentations on
airport closures. If you're a member, you should drop them a note.

Marco

Old March 14th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R

"Marco Leon" wrote in message ...
Sounds like something AOPA might want to put in their presentations on
airport closures. If you're a member, you should drop them a note.

Marco

You might be right...
Here's a link from Live Search that shows what the area looked like back in
the mid 90's:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...&scene=7184144

Here's a link to Google maps and what the area looks like now.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...15213&t=k&om=1

You can clearly see the new prison in place of the old airport and also
displaced
is an aviation maintenance school.

David

Old March 15th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

FLAV8R wrote:
You can clearly see the new prison in place of the old airport and also
displaced

out of curiosity, what is the impact on a neighborhood of having a
prison nearby? I mean, (i) it is not as if the new residents are seen
too often; (ii) there might be some positive downfall for the community,
such as new taxes (iii) and (I have no idea what I am talking about here,
bear with me) there might be some political advantage to having a larger
headcount without much of a downside (in addition to not being seen,
they won't be voting or having any influence on how said community is
run).

--Sylvain

Old March 15th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R

"Sylvain" wrote in message ...
FLAV8R wrote:
You can clearly see the new prison in place of the old airport and also
displaced

out of curiosity, what is the impact on a neighborhood of having a
prison nearby?
--Sylvain

If I was in the market for a new home I would not pick one so close
to a prison.
But if you told me there was an airstrip near by I might pay more for
the house than I'd otherwise would.
So I guess the house close to a prison would be worth less than one
next to a small airstrip to most Americans.

David

Old March 15th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

out of curiosity, what is the impact on a neighborhood of having a
prison nearby? I mean, (i) it is not as if the new residents are seen
too often; (ii) there might be some positive downfall for the community,
such as new taxes (iii) and (I have no idea what I am talking about here,
bear with me) there might be some political advantage to having a larger
headcount without much of a downside (in addition to not being seen,
they won't be voting or having any influence on how said community is
run).

I see no downsides, if all of the prisoners stay put. That is the big if.

If they do get out, they are looking to steal a car, and get out of town.
You hope you are not in the way of that happening.

I work near a max security federal prison. It brings a lot of jobs to the
area. Residents do not seem to be overly concerned about it being in the
area.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 15th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

If you go to the live.com site, just click on the "Bird's Eye View" icon on
the legend to the left. Great view of the prison. Also, it looks like it
went up pretty quickly because there are about six aircraft still "stranded"
at a hangar! Could this be one of Chicago's King Daley's side projects??

And yes, I know these aircraft are probably not flyable...

Marco

Old March 15th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:26:07 -0400, "FLAV8R"
wrote:

But if you told me there was an airstrip near by I might pay more for
the house than I'd otherwise would.
So I guess the house close to a prison would be worth less than one
next to a small airstrip to most Americans.

No, the way it works for most Americans:

1. Buy cheap due to "airport noise".
2. Complain about noise until airport closes.
3. Complain about increased traffic from new shopping mall.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
In America, anyone can become president. That's one of the risks you take.
Old March 16th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Dana M. Hague d(dash)m(dash)hague(at)comcast(dot)net wrote:

No, the way it works for most Americans:

1. Buy cheap due to "airport noise".
2. Complain about noise until airport closes.
3. Complain about increased traffic from new shopping mall.

I thought the idea was:

1. Buy cheap due to "airport noise".
2. Complain about noise until airport closes.
3. Sell house with a profit.
4. repeat...

--Sylvain
Old March 16th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Mar 14, 8:13 pm, Sylvain wrote:
FLAV8R wrote:
You can clearly see the new prison in place of the old airport and also
displaced

out of curiosity, what is the impact on a neighborhood of having a
prison nearby? I mean, (i) it is not as if the new residents are seen
too often; (ii) there might be some positive downfall for the community,
such as new taxes (iii) and (I have no idea what I am talking about here,
bear with me) there might be some political advantage to having a larger
headcount without much of a downside (in addition to not being seen,
they won't be voting or having any influence on how said community is
run).

--Sylvain

There are a lots of other things you can do to significantly raise
taxes - garbage dumping sites, nuclear waste disposal, prisons, rehab
facilities, none of which are viewed as a positive thing for a
community.

Nevertheless, this is a very interesting contrast. An airport is a
symbol of freedom, and a prison is just the opposite.

Amusing reading... john smith Piloting 0 March 12th 07 03:21 AM
Amusing: WTF IS GOING ON AT THE FBO? gatt Piloting 5 July 22nd 04 03:23 AM
Long--But Amusing Rosspilot Piloting 3 July 10th 04 09:54 PM
Conspiracy Theorists (amusing) Grantland Military Aviation 1 October 2nd 03 12:17 AM
amusing in so many ways..:-) tango4 Soaring 9 July 31st 03 04:41 PM