Pirep request: Pullman-Moscow

Old August 26th 04, 08:30 PM
gatt

Default Pirep request: Pullman-Moscow

Planning for Pullman, WA tomorrow from Troutdale, Oregon, VFR, weather
permitting (flash flood warning in Portland yesterday. Yeesh!) Anybody
have recent experience with the airfield/FBO or general area? Just want to
know if there's anything unpublished I should know about.

-c

Old August 26th 04, 08:56 PM
David Herman

Can't help you with anything specific at Pullman, other than the standard
"check NOTAMs" that you already know. I might go over to that same general
neighborhood tomorrow, weather permitting (forecast looks OK right now -
keeping my fingers crossed).

I assume that from Troutdale, you would probably go up the Gorge, so the
fire TFRs may have been less of an issue for you, but they've really been
something to contend with for those of us to your north. Although the
recent rain has been weird and an inconvenence, it's welcome relief for the
fires and general dryness up in the mountains. A week or two ago, there
were so many fire TFRs in the Washington Cascades I couldn't keep track of
them. Now, after a few days of soaking rain, it seems to be down to just
three. Hopefully this rain will give the firefighters a break and that
trend will continue.

From a more selfish point of view, I'm hoping the rains have rinsed out the
air somewhat: 2 weeks ago, on a clear day around Seattle the viz was just
awful; around Wenatchee I heard the sky described as a hellish gray filled
with cinders, with he sun blotted out at mid-day and people walking around
wearing surgical masks. I'd sure like some nice CAVU weather like we expect
at this time of year, but clearing out the air would be even better.

Have fun over on the dry side tomorrow!

--
David Herman
N6170T 1965 Cessna 150E

Old August 27th 04, 05:00 PM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:30:28 -0700, "gatt"
wrote:

Here is a link to a photo of Pullman from the 05 end.

http://www.primetab.com/flying/flyin....4.html#Photo7

The middle ramp (2/3 down 05) is GA and is where I've gassed up. The foreground
ramp is for commercial ops.

Demonick
Old August 27th 04, 06:14 PM
gatt

"David Herman" wrote in message

A week or two ago, there
were so many fire TFRs in the Washington Cascades I couldn't keep track of
them.

Ah! Good info. Thanks! I'm doing TTD-The Dalles to Tri-Cities, turning at
Dayton direct to Pullman, on victors the whole way except for in the Gorge,
so I should be able to get good TFR info from McMinnville.

Also, I agree wrt the rain scrubbing the air. Had my fingers crossed...they
say there are only 27 IMC days a year in Pullman, and as soon as I plan a
flight there they burn up three of 'em. In AUGUST! The vis has been pretty
ugly in Portland too and I will have passengers returning this evening, so
the clean air should contribute greatly to their experience.

Now, after a few days of soaking rain, it seems to be down to just
three. Hopefully this rain will give the firefighters a break and that
trend will continue.

That too. We had flash flood warnings in my area the day before yesterday,
and it rained just as hard yesterday. Blue sky this morning, high cumulus
clouds right now. :/ C'mon, sunshine!

-c