A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What gliders do you hate?

Old December 31st 14, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default What gliders do you hate?

In the spirit of fun, what gliders (makes or specific ones) do you hate, distrust, or are just plain tired of. Have you given so many rides in one model that you never want to see it again? Is there a plane that, despite treating it right, just seemed to want to hurt you? Or is there one out there that is just so ugly that you can't stand it?

My pleas won't work, but let's keep it fun. .... I'll save my example for later in the discussion but I'll give you a hint; it's Polish made.

Terry (XN) in a ASW-27 (which I love)
Old December 31st 14, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:35:11 AM UTC-7, wrote:
In the spirit of fun, what gliders (makes or specific ones) do you hate, distrust, or are just plain tired of. Have you given so many rides in one model that you never want to see it again? Is there a plane that, despite treating it right, just seemed to want to hurt you? Or is there one out there that is just so ugly that you can't stand it?

My pleas won't work, but let's keep it fun. .... I'll save my example for later in the discussion but I'll give you a hint; it's Polish made.

I can think of two from the early days.

I soloed in a flat-topped ("Double bubble")LK-10A which was a really nice glider but later I flew an unmodified LK-10A which was much less well maintained. It always seemed this glider was trying to kill me. Many improvements had been made to the flat-top which probably made a real difference.

The other was the TG-2 (SGS-2-8). It wasn't particularly nasty like the unmodified LK but the ailerons were unbelievably heavy, the visibility from the rear was virtually nil and the ergonomics were excruciating. The Vne was 72mph IIRC which made glides to the next thermal problematic.
Old December 31st 14, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:44:02 PM UTC-6, Bill D wrote:
On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:35:11 AM UTC-7, wrote:

I can think of two from the early days.

I soloed in a flat-topped ("Double bubble")LK-10A which was a really nice glider but later I flew an unmodified LK-10A which was much less well maintained. It always seemed this glider was trying to kill me. Many improvements had been made to the flat-top which probably made a real difference.

The other was the TG-2 (SGS-2-8). It wasn't particularly nasty like the unmodified LK but the ailerons were unbelievably heavy, the visibility from the rear was virtually nil and the ergonomics were excruciating. The Vne was 72mph IIRC which made glides to the next thermal problematic.

Dick Johnson flew 310 miles in a 2-8. An incredible feat for sure.

I can't say i've ever flown a glider that I "hated". I seem to pretty much like all gliders, even Polish ones. Monerai is probably at the top of my dislike list.
Old December 31st 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I'll save my example for later in the discussion but I'll give you a hint; it's Polish made.

Most of the American made ones, would be my hint. Between: 1-26, 2-33, 1-34, Ford Taurus, 1-36... there hardly is anything worth mentioning.
As far far Pw-5 goes: you can only blame FAI for placing such preliminary limits on the world class design.

Happy New Year.

GK
Old December 31st 14, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)
external usenet poster

I didn't like flying the Blank L-13 because I didn't fit well in it and had to sit very awkwardly for the few flights I was forced to take. It flew week and handled nicely, but I was so uncomfortable that it was an unpleasant experience.

-John
Old December 31st 14, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Most of the American made ones, would be my hint. Between: 1-26, 2-33, 1-34, Ford Taurus, 1-36... there hardly is anything worth mentioning.

LOL!! I think I've flown the Ford Taurus.

My relationship to the 1-26 is strange. On one hand, I loved flying them. I've got 4 or 5 thousand miles of x/c in them. Great fun.....On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd ever fly one again with the great options our club has (and in an embarrassment of riches, my own plane.)
Old December 31st 14, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

My relationship to the 1-26 is strange.

If you don't have what you like, you like what you have. Flown it exactly once, after being forced out of the two seater that was needed during a busy training day. Vividly remember the moment one of the instructors told me I was going to have a ball, while closing my canopy. After releasing and toping a thermal, tried reaching another cloud, going against 10-15kt wind. Boy was I surprised when pushing the stick forward only resulted my altimeter to unwind with the speeds I had only observed before while skydiving... Half way towards the other cloud had to call quits and land. Never had been tempted to have a ball again.
Old January 1st 15, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Smith[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:35:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I hate racism, sexism, etc., in short, I hate hate. But gliders? What's to hate. It's an awful word. Save the word for really awful things. There are no hateful gliders.
Old January 1st 15, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:58:13 -0800, Peter Smith wrote:

I hate racism, sexism, etc., in short, I hate hate. But gliders? What's
to hate. It's an awful word. Save the word for really awful things.
There are no hateful gliders.

I understand where you're coming from, but some gliders are nicer that
others. For instance, I'll take an SZD Junior any time if the other
choices are a G.102 Astir, ASK-23 or PW-5. I've flown all four and for my
money the Junior is more responsive and generally nicer to fly than any
of the others.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |