New LXNAV Wi-Fi Module

Old October 19th 15, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default New LXNAV Wi-Fi Module

Hi,

I'm very excited about a new product from LXNAV. The LXNAV Wi-Fi Module
can be used to connect to the internet through a wireless network such as a
smart phone that can act as a "Personal Hotspot". It offers many powerful
features - such as the ability to e-mail your flight log to your home
computer while still sitting in the glider. It can also be used to download
and display weather data on the map (coming soon).

It will be extremely nice to e-mail my flight log to my home computer
immediately after landing - using my iPhone to connect the LX9000 to the
internet. Displaying weather maps on the map will also be extremely useful -
assuming my iPhone can connect to the internet while at altitude.

You can see details he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav.htm#LXNAV-WiFi

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old October 19th 15, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul, why not just upload the flight directly to OLC? Is that not possible? I currently, while sitting in the cockpit download my Powerflarm log file to a USB then connect it to my Droid maxx and upload via direct claim to OLC all takes about 2 minutes. Can you not do that with the lxnav? Not knocking it just wondering?

CH
Old October 19th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Cliff,

LXNAV is working on making it possible to upload a flight log directly from
the LX80x0 or LX90x0 to the OLC. I imagine they will get that working, as
long as the OLC is willing to make it possible from the OLC end.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
____________________________

Old October 20th 15, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

I think you can do it today from an Oudie IGC (I haven't tested it because I don't post on OLC, but I upload via Bluetooth/Android phone to SeeYou Cloud).

Old February 26th 18, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Jonathan,

I've sold quite a few of the LXNAV WiFi modules. I have one in the LX9050 demo on my desk. It works great for uploading flights to the OLC or emailing a flight log to yourself or the contest scorer.

One unexpected benefit is how it makes it extremely easy to update the firmware and airspace database in the LX9050. At power-up, after it connects to the internet through my home Wifi network or my iPhone, it checks the versions. If there is an update available, it displays a message. To update, I just press the Update button. I don't need to enter the unit's serial number or any special code. It is much easier than bringing an SD card to the unit, and avoiding the need for a update code is also very convenient.

So far, LXNAV doesn't seem to have found a source for weather data for the USA to display on the LX80x0 and LX90x0 products. I hope they will in time..

I'll have my LX9050 and WiFi module at the SSA Convention this week if anyone wants to see it work.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old February 26th 18, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I see another discussion coming! How to prevent competition pilots using
live weather and OGN for competitive advantage....

Jim

=
demo on my desk. It works great for uploading flights to the OLC or
emaili=
ng a flight log to yourself or the contest scorer. =20

[...]

.. =20

wrote:
Has anyone actually tried the wifi module, if so what are your

impression=
s? =20
=20
On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 8:52:06 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,
=20
I'm very excited about a new product from LXNAV. The LXNAV Wi-Fi

Modu=
le=20
can be used to connect to the internet through a wireless network

such
=
as a=20
smart phone that can act as a "Personal Hotspot". It offers many

powerf=
ul=20
features - such as the ability to e-mail your flight log to your

home=
=20
computer while still sitting in the glider. It can also be used to

down=
load=20
and display weather data on the map (coming soon).
=20
It will be extremely nice to e-mail my flight log to my home

computer=
=20
immediately after landing - using my iPhone to connect the LX9000 to

th=
e=20
internet. Displaying weather maps on the map will also be extremely

use=
ful -=20

Old February 26th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

If the WiFi could be used to download daily TFR it would be great but unfortunately LXNAV does not produce a TFR database.

Ramy
Old February 27th 18, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Jonathan:
I used the WiFi module my last time in South Africa. The initial set up is more than a little tedious as you have to put in your email address, password(s), OLC password etc. into the LX - all in a hunt & peck input method. If you could do it on LX Styler (the LX PC program) and then import it into the module that would be great - but I am not sure that is doable. Paul Remde could comment on that.

Once installed correctly (it took several tries) the module does what it says it will do and it will upload your flight to OLC or to your phone via hotspot. But honestly it all struck me as a bit of a "solution in search of a problem". It is just not that hard to download a flight to an SD card or USB and then upload it (or give it to the scorer) and frequently it is very helpful to review your flight log before you upload it to OLC -especially if you fly in different configurations (15m and 18m) as it is easy to forget to reset the configuration in the LX.

There are further comments about complexity vs simplicity in the ClearNav vs LX 9000 discussion elsewhere.

ROY
Old February 27th 18, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 10:16:48 AM UTC+10:30, Roy B. wrote:
[...]

It's just the first step to enabling new technologies. Already you can download weather forecasts (from SkySight) and see a live updating rain radar via the Wifi module too. I hope next comes a 3G module so you don't even need to tether.

New LXNAV S8 vario Paul Remde Soaring 5 October 12th 15 04:14 PM
LXNAV V7 - Reviews? David Reitter Soaring 10 October 21st 14 12:41 AM
LXNAV Flarmview [email protected] Soaring 2 September 29th 13 01:47 AM
New vario by LXNAV [email protected] Soaring 6 May 22nd 13 11:15 PM
LXNAV V7 Paul Remde Soaring 2 November 2nd 11 01:31 AM