RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Old December 6th 16, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

I am very saddened by this news. I loved Matt's videos from afar and I am sure I would have been happy to be his friend. As another poster said - his videos were the ones I sent to others to explain the wonder of soaring. He captured it perfectly

Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues

AE

Old December 6th 16, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pstrzel

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 3:54:30 AM UTC-7, Stephan van den Berg wrote:
Dreadful news coming from the UK today. Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube) was tragically killed in a mid-air whilst flying his glider this weekend. I believe he collided with a power plane.

I'm sure we have all watched some of Matt's videos on YouTube over and over. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Balleka and the Flying Shark

Here's an interview with Matt from a while back:

https://audioboom.com/posts/1552789-...watery-landing
Old December 6th 16, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Thanks.

Here is his YouTube link..... https://m.youtube.com/results?q=balleka&sm=1

Note, some videos just have "Balleka" in the name, but are NOT Matts videos.
Old December 8th 16, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Damn. He his videos have motivated me to drop weight to get back onto flying after an 8 year hiatus. Tragic.
Old December 22nd 16, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

This accident is being investigated by the AAIB, but has there been any eyewitness reports on what might have happened? Initial posting had this as a possible winch-related incident?

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=191862
Old February 8th 18, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson[_2_]

At 16:55 22 December 2016, Duster wrote:
This accident is being investigated by the AAIB, but has there been any
eyewitness reports on what might have happened? Initial posting had this

as
a possible winch-related incident?

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=191862

Published to-day:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...f0b652634c6f36
/Schleicher_ASW_24_G-CFNG_02-18.pdf

Old February 8th 18, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 7:45:05 AM UTC-7, James Thomson wrote:
At 16:55 22 December 2016, Duster wrote:
This accident is being investigated by the AAIB, but has there been any
eyewitness reports on what might have happened? Initial posting had this

as
a possible winch-related incident?

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=191862

Published to-day:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...f0b652634c6f36
/Schleicher_ASW_24_G-CFNG_02-18.pdf

From the report, it looks as if, after the weak link broke early in the launch, that Matt attempted an abbreviated pattern from below 300 feet in strong wind with rotor and turbulence and stalled/spun in. His three cameras provided lots of data.

The report also says he had enough runway to land straight ahead. Yet another experienced pilot bitten by turbulent conditions near the ground. A sombre message for all of us glider pilots.

Mike
Old February 8th 18, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

this just appeared in my "Flipboard" feed:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8200056.html
Old February 8th 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 9:13:54 AM UTC-6, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 7:45:05 AM UTC-7, James Thomson wrote:
At 16:55 22 December 2016, Duster wrote:
This accident is being investigated by the AAIB, but has there been any
eyewitness reports on what might have happened? Initial posting had this

as
a possible winch-related incident?

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=191862

Published to-day:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...f0b652634c6f36
/Schleicher_ASW_24_G-CFNG_02-18.pdf

From the report, it looks as if, after the weak link broke early in the launch, that Matt attempted an abbreviated pattern from below 300 feet in strong wind with rotor and turbulence and stalled/spun in. His three cameras provided lots of data.

The report also says he had enough runway to land straight ahead. Yet another experienced pilot bitten by turbulent conditions near the ground. A sombre message for all of us glider pilots.

Mike

What an incredibly detailed and expert accident report. Given the vast amount of data and eye-witness reports this seems to be the most complete account one can envision. The easy and predictable reaction is: 'why didn't he land straight ahead, I would never have turned to downwind'. For this highly experienced pilot to make such a mistake should give us all pause. A very avoidable winch launch accident with lessons also for us aero-tow pilots. In 1980 in my winch launch training the instructor released at 400' and only if you flew a straight-in landing toward the winch would he let you solo. I'm sure the same is practiced in the UK but human nature seems to nudge us to fly the pattern.
Another question: why go flying in such conditions? Speak up at your club if you feel conditions are unsafe for operations.
Herb