Formation flying

Old August 17th 04, 10:28 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , B2431 says...

snip

Well Ron I must confess to doing what we call "gear checks" around here .I've
also done deer checks ,duck checks,runway checks (looking for sink holes),
people checks, personal checks, ramp checks ,bounced checks,Czech checks,
rubber checks (hmmmm),past checks and checkered past checks....

Chuck(el Pollo Loco aks Head Ducks in a row checker)S

Check, Chuck, gotcha. No check ride? Ever ridden a Czech? If so, have you told
your wife?

Hmmm how did I forget Check ride?? Any Czech riding was before we were married.
When I was single I had lots of Carnival knowledge with
Czechs,Poles,Germans.Mountain Williams etc...I was an equal opportunity checker
LOL!!!

See ya

Chuck (check out line checker) S RAH-14/1 ret

Old August 17th 04, 11:38 PM
Matt Whiting

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:33:06 -0700, "Ron" no one @home.com wrote:

The FARs say that whether in formation or not, thou shalt not be less than
1000' above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2000' of the
aircraft.

If that's the part that's bothering you, then the fact that they are in
formation is moot. It's no more legal...or illegal...to do it as part of a
formation than it is to do solo.

Fly a low pass over a runway with no intention of landing? Heck, I've done
it. Bet I ain't the only one....

Ron Wanttaja

Well, I always intended to land, but thought I saw something on the
runway... :-)

Matt

Old August 18th 04, 12:01 AM
Bingo

We ARE good pilots - it's just that some of us don't know the FARs very
well.

Jim

"Ron" no one @home.com wrote in message
Sounds like the hotshots at 7S5 are still trying to show everyone how
'swell' they can fly. Were there any airplanes with no radios in the
pattern? Any student pilots in the pattern? Any citizens in town, less

than
a mile away, and in-line with the runway?

The FARs say that whether in formation or not, thou shalt not be less than
1000' above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2000' of

the
aircraft.

FAR Part 91.119 (b), "Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a
city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an
altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal
radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft."

This would include the homes in the airpark, as well as non-aviation homes
within a quarter mile of the runway, wouldn't it?

160 mph at 320' agl? WOW! They sure must be good pilots!

Bango

"Bingo" wrote in message
nk.net...
Is it within FARs to do a 4-ship pass down the active at 500 ft msl at

160
mph at an uncontrolled airstrip?

Bingo

Old August 18th 04, 12:07 AM
Morgans

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote

When I was single I had lots of Carnival knowledge with
Czechs,Poles,Germans.Mountain Williams etc...I was an equal opportunity

checker
LOL!!!

See ya

Chuck (check out line checker) S RAH-14/1 ret

And after such checks, you were a pecker checker?
--
Jim in NC

---

Old August 18th 04, 12:07 AM
Bingo

BUT that all being equal..............in order to do a pass at 500 ft down
34 you have to pass over what I am sure would be a congested area in the
eyes of Big Brother. I am just being the devil's advocate here. I have
also done this low pass stuff but I never did it without flying a VFR
pattern and calling a go-around. That is legal. A pass over the airport
that has to pass over town isn't legal. FAR 91.111 is moot - we all have
and give permission.

Jim

"Scott" wrote in message
news
Keep reading. What about over UNCONGESTED areas? One only has to keep
a distance of 500 feet from any person or object, therefore I (we) could
fly 1 foot above the surface as long as we were 500 feet laterally from
any person or object. Of course, the other reg that comes into play
with any of these scenarios is the one that says something like "or
flight at an altitude that that does not place undue hazard to persons
or property on the ground should an emergency arise, ie engine out."
Since we don't know where the intended formation flight is planned, it
may or may not be legal.

As far as flying down a runway with no intention to land, yes, I'm sure
we've all done it. Can you say "shoot practice approaches or simulated
engine outs at an airport?" I thought you could...

Scott

Old August 18th 04, 12:10 AM
Bingo

That's pretty funny JS - did I tell you it was a weed whacker pilot who was
doing the initial screaming (no offense to Ron or Mike or the other ULPA
guys here)? We actually do get along - it is just more fun this way.

Jim

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message
link.net...

"Bingo" wrote in message
nk.net...

Is it within FARs to do a 4-ship pass down the active at 500 ft msl at

160
mph at an uncontrolled airstrip?

Bingo

You've never made a low pass down the runway in your Ultrlight? :-) The
formation part has nothing to do with it. Can't you all just get a long at

7S5? :-)

Jerry

Old August 18th 04, 01:28 AM
Del Rawlins

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:00:47 GMT, "Bingo" wrote:

Is it within FARs to do a 4-ship pass down the active at 500 ft msl at 160
mph at an uncontrolled airstrip?

Certainly there is no rule prohibiting a formation flight from coming
in too hot and needing to go around?

Del Rawlins--
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply

Old August 18th 04, 02:13 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Morgans says...

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote

When I was single I had lots of Carnival knowledge with
Czechs,Poles,Germans.Mountain Williams etc...I was an equal opportunity

checker
LOL!!!

See ya

Chuck (check out line checker) S RAH-14/1 ret

And after such checks, you were a pecker checker?

Not exactly, that was those ah... San Francisco pilots, unless you mean pecker
checker as in checking chicken beaks:-)

See ya

Chuck (Quacker checker)S

Old August 18th 04, 02:23 AM
Bob Martin

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:00:47 GMT, "Bingo" wrote:

Is it within FARs to do a 4-ship pass down the active at 500 ft msl at

160
mph at an uncontrolled airstrip?

Certainly there is no rule prohibiting a formation flight from coming
in too hot and needing to go around?

I would assume as long as you make the appropriate calls ("Anytown traffic,
Airplane 12345 flight of x, turning final for runway n Anytown, low pass.")